Let's have a serious discussion about CPR

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
I do? No, I just don't fail to see anything but Rhoads being fired. Maybe we're a 2 win team this year. Maybe we played our worst half of offensive football this year. Maybe Iowa is a pretty good team. The difference between you and me is that I can accept all of those things as possibilities while you only accept one as being possible. As I have said, the next 2-4 weeks will tell us pretty much everything.
Whats the sample size needed to know this staff cant produce a run game? I think 5 years sounds about right.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
This is a thread about evaluating CPR. So, let's do that. First, on the plus side: I have seen a vastly improved defensive effort - although, as we have seen, we still lack depth & that could hurt us this season. BUT, I will give him props for the job he and the defensive coaches have done in actually fielding a much more improved team on that side of the ball. THAT SAID, the offense (with all the experience and "talent" back this year, and being relatively healthy with some depth) still is terrible. If our O performs even slightly "above average" against UNI, it would have been 31-7 in the FIRST HALF! Over the past few years, I have seen nothing in the offensive coaching staff that leads me to believe that we will ever improve enough to be competitive in the Big XII. Even if we have an awesome defense, the lack of depth will cause that unit to eventually become worn down if they consistently find themselves on the field for over 60% of the game. Rhoads is overseeing the offense (even if he is a more defensively-minded coach), so he is accountable 100% for the lack of offensive improvement. Right now, even with 1/2 of the team (i.e. the defense) looking like a competitive big 12 unit, it still earns Rhoads a failing mark in my book. I would love nothing more than having to come back on here and eat my words if the offense proves me wrong. I HOPE this is what happens - please, please offensive unit make that happen. But, until then, I think Rhoads has taken this program as far as he can.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
This is a thread about evaluating CPR. So, let's do that. First, on the plus side: I have seen a vastly improved defensive effort - although, as we have seen, we still lack depth & that could hurt us this season. BUT, I will give him props for the job he and the defensive coaches have done in actually fielding a much more improved team on that side of the ball. THAT SAID, the offense (with all the experience and "talent" back this year, and being relatively healthy with some depth) still is terrible. If our O performs even slightly "above average" against UNI, it would have been 31-7 in the FIRST HALF! Over the past few years, I have seen nothing in the offensive coaching staff that leads me to believe that we will ever improve enough to be competitive in the Big XII. Even if we have an awesome defense, the lack of depth will cause that unit to eventually become worn down if they consistently find themselves on the field for over 60% of the game. Rhoads is overseeing the offense (even if he is a more defensively-minded coach), so he is accountable 100% for the lack of offensive improvement. Right now, even with 1/2 of the team (i.e. the defense) looking like a competitive big 12 unit, it still earns Rhoads a failing mark in my book. I would love nothing more than having to come back on here and eat my words if the offense proves me wrong. I HOPE this is what happens - please, please offensive unit make that happen. But, until then, I think Rhoads has taken this program as far as he can.

This pretty much sums up my thoughts. My one rebuttal would be that this offense, on paper, is by far the best CPR has had, so we all know that it CAN be better. However, I have learned over the years that what you see in the first few games is typically indicative of what you will see the entire season. That being said, if we somehow win 30 or more to 17 or less on Saturday, Ill look forward to conference play. Anything less, and bring on playoff baseball and college basketball.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Like crying after a lost rivalry game and quitting on the season weak.

I don't understand why so many people are willing to excuse a bad performance because it was in a rivalry game. If there's just one game where you'd expect the team to play their ***** off, wouldn't it be this one? Why should we give the team a pass for playing like garbage just because it's Iowa?

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
This pretty much sums up my thoughts. My one rebuttal would be that this offense, on paper, is by far the best CPR has had, so we all know that it CAN be better. However, I have learned over the years that what you see in the first few games is typically indicative of what you will see the entire season. That being said, if we somehow win 30 or more to 17 or less on Saturday, Ill look forward to conference play. Anything less, and bring on playoff baseball and college basketball.

I don't disagree with you, the only real difference is that you're willing to give the staff the rest of the season to make up your mind, and I'm willing to eat crow for being wrong rather than wait and see given how the last few years have gone.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't understand why so many people are willing to excuse a bad performance because it was in a rivalry game. If there's just one game where you'd expect the team to play their ***** off, wouldn't it be this one? Why should we give the team a pass for playing like garbage just because it's Iowa?

It wasn't just Saturday...the offense looked just as bad against UNI. Difference there is we won, so no one called for CPR's head.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Our defense is better this year?

Last year we gave up 275 yards to Iowa, this year 475.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I don't disagree with you, the only real difference is that you're willing to give the staff the rest of the season to make up your mind, and I'm willing to eat crow for being wrong rather than wait and see given how the last few years have gone.

Where in my post did you see me say I'm willing to give them the rest of the season? I said Im going to wait until next week and see what happens. Like I said, both sides of the ball looked the same on Saturday as they did against UNI. Difference was after having a ****** offensive performance against UNI, they still won. I wanna see how they respond after losing. If it is much of the same on Saturday, I will be on your boat.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Our defense is better this year?

Last year we gave up 275 yards to Iowa, this year 475.

If you cant see the defensive improvement from last season, then I don't know what to tell ya. We had 15 sacks total last year. We have 9 so far this season. We're 5th in the nation i sacks right now, and 2nd in the nation in yards lost on sacks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
If you cant see the defensive improvement from last season, then I don't know what to tell ya. We had 15 sacks total last year. We have 9 so far this season.

But are we giving up yards at the expense of getting pressure? We need to find a balance. Sacks don't mean crap when you get one and then turn around and give up 50 yard runs to a guy that runs like my 58 year old dad on the next play.

The same people that are saying "let's wait and see on Rhoads, derp" are the same ones that are absolutely convinced this defense is just so great based on 2 games, 1 of which we got beaten pretty badly in and the other of which was against an FCS team.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
attachment.php

Attachments

• defense.jpg
    defense.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 297

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
If you cant see the defensive improvement from last season, then I don't know what to tell ya. We had 15 sacks total last year. We have 9 so far this season. We're 5th in the nation i sacks right now, and 2nd in the nation in yards lost on sacks.

But are we giving up yards at the expense of getting pressure? We need to find a balance. Sacks don't mean crap when you get one and then turn around and give up 50 yard runs to a guy that runs like my 58 year old dad on the next play.

The same people that are saying "let's wait and see on Rhoads, derp" are the same ones that are absolutely convinced this defense is just so great based on 2 games, 1 of which we got beaten pretty badly in and the other of which was against an FCS team.

Yeah, pointing out that we're 5th in sacks after two games against poor opponents shows how desperate we are to find something optimistic. A pretty meaningless statistic, especially at this point in the year; just two fewer sacks and we're tied with Kent State and Louisiana Lafayette...

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Yeah, pointing out that we're 5th in sacks after two games against poor opponents shows how desperate we are to find something optimistic. A pretty meaningless statistic, especially at this point in the year; just two fewer sacks and we're tied with Kent State and Louisiana Lafayette...

Its simply pointing out that we are better defensively then we were last year, which was the original point I was arguing. Not saying we are going to be a top 25 defense this season, but we are undoubtedly better then last season.

Cyclonick182

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando, FL
Its simply pointing out that we are better defensively then we were last year, which was the original point I was arguing. Not saying we are going to be a top 25 defense this season, but we are undoubtedly better then last season.

Its pretty clear the defense has made strides and I think many of us expect that with CPR being a defensive mind, and Wally being Wally. Wally is actually the only guy on the staff I do trust to develop his guys.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron