Let's have a serious discussion about CPR

AWOL2000

Feb 13, 2008
Lawry Crossing, TX
Haven't been reading through all of these threads, but am I the only one who thinks if CPR goes, we are actually a sort of OK job at least compared to 5-8 years ago? We now have a big time stadium which is 3rd in Big 12 capacity, our budget is now competitive with the rest of the league, and our facilities have all been upgraded fairly recently. Also, our fan base is crazy loyal and growing, and the expectations are just to get to a crappy bowl game most years and don't get blown out very often. We still aren't in a state with a good recruiting base, but we do have the natural Texas connection, but it's not like we expect to compete for a Big 12 championship.

The top tier coaches wouldn't come here of course, but am I crazy to think a lot of coaches see what we have and think "All I have to do is win 6-7 games to be a success? I can do that." In the past when there have been discussions about firing the coaches, the attitude by many has been "We're little Iowa State we can't do better", and I could kind of see that argument. But I think I'm having a hard time buying that nowadays.

It better with the facilities than it used to be yes. But it still comes down to paying the coach the going rate for a P5 school. 3 mil a year at least to get coaches to consider leaving a good mid major program. Otherwise they will sit there until they can get a big time job a la McElwain and Florida.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Numbers in the stands will determine how long he's around this season, not wins and loses. Is it CPR fault we have no running game IDK.

I'm a strong "yes" lean on this. Him being the head coach and all. Idk, maybe I'm reaching.

Last edited:

SenorCy

Aug 29, 2010
C.J.
For this season, and into the future, I'm okay with our coaching staff...I ask you...who else could do better? Who would make the sacrifice to come to ISU and lead us to relevancy? I'll going to get crushed for this, but I felt the the need to express my view on these issues...
I'm going to guess quite a few coaches can win a at least two games when two of those games are against an FCS team and KU.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I'm going to guess quite a few coaches can win a at least two games when two of those games are against an FCS team and KU.

Considering we should have a third game against some punching bag mid-major of our choosing, I really think 3 wins should be the floor for the program. Sadly, that seems to be an uphill climb lately.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
If this season doesn't turn around, then I agree with you. However, there is no benefit to firing him mid-season.
There was supposedly a culture change but what really needs a change is the coaching. Players often rally around a coaching change. Perhaps we aren't seeing improvements in players that we want because of what Rhoads is implementing in practice. Perhaps Rhoads is limiting play calling for Mangino. Maybe Mangino goes for it on 4th and 1 and the entire game changes. There are plenty of potential benefits to putting someone else in charge. There are also plenty of negatives that can occur from keeping someone in charge that is not getting the job done.

Of course, this all depends on the results of the next few weeks.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
If ISU makes a change, I do not want a 'hot name'. I would prefer someone that has proven they can develop players in the weight room and also on the field mentally and physically. In a place like ISU development is key. As we all know the 4* and 5* guys are not going to line up here. 2* guys can work but it is not easy. They need to be taught, coached and strengthened to do what the coach want to run.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
This whole discussion is moot until the Reimans, Sukups, and Bergstroms give JP the ok to fire CPR. I believe they are firmly in the CPR camp. If they weren't, we wouldn't have the football complex or the SEZ.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Haven't been reading through all of these threads, but am I the only one who thinks if CPR goes, we are actually a sort of OK job at least compared to 5-8 years ago? We now have a big time stadium which is 3rd in Big 12 capacity, our budget is now competitive with the rest of the league, and our facilities have all been upgraded fairly recently. Also, our fan base is crazy loyal and growing, and the expectations are just to get to a crappy bowl game most years and don't get blown out very often. We still aren't in a state with a good recruiting base, but we do have the natural Texas connection, but it's not like we expect to compete for a Big 12 championship.

The top tier coaches wouldn't come here of course, but am I crazy to think a lot of coaches see what we have and think "All I have to do is win 6-7 games to be a success? I can do that." In the past when there have been discussions about firing the coaches, the attitude by many has been "We're little Iowa State we can't do better", and I could kind of see that argument. But I think I'm having a hard time buying that nowadays.

We have definitely made some nice improvements. We still have about the lowest athletic budget in the Big 12. We rank about dead last in coaching salaries. Trying to think of all the top flight coaches that applied in 2008 when Chizik left. Iowa State is still regarded as one of the toughest coaching jobs in the country. We have a lot of positives as well as a lot of challenges that are tough to overcome.

ISUcyclones11

Dec 11, 2014
Ankeny, IA
Just joined the party on this thread.

I would love for Paul Rhoads to somehow stay with the program. He made his name from being a DC, so maybe that's an option. However, if I were him I don't know if I would take the demotion.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting....

Seneca and Sage... in the last 30 years of Iowa State football those are the only 2 QB's that were capable of making the plays that need to be made against the caliber of competition that Iowa State faces in the conference to win games.

2 QB's in 3 decades... there you have it folks.

You can have all the skill position talent in the world but without a QB to get them the ball... they are worthless. How is it possible that the current staff can be so awful at identifying talent at the QB position? Jake Waters... we passed on him so he went to K-State and won a bunch of games. The kid wanted to come to ISU and our staff didn't give him the time of day. It's hard to imagine a staff being this awful at recruiting the most important position on the field.

Fanatic1973

Jan 29, 2015
Or maybe in JP's analysis of the situation he can see positives that the random message board poster can't see. You guys make it seem like JP grew up with CPR, Otz, McD, etc and were life long friends before they were hired.
If I was him I sure wouldn't bother reading what is being posted here. Real nice to say what you would do but it is not your choice. It is pure speculation until JP does something and I don't think he will.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
If I was him I sure wouldn't bother reading what is being posted here. Real nice to say what you would do but it is not your choice. It is pure speculation until JP does something and I don't think he will.

I agree. He won't fire Rhoads no matter our record this year. That is just my opinion.

That said, I would be willing to bet money that he listens to the Reimans, Sukups and Bergstroms. If they weren't behind CPR 100% would we have the facilities we do now? Who donates 25 MILLION that doesn't like the football coach or thinks the program is a dumpster fire?

For the record, I say keep Rhoads. Call me a sunshine pumper all you want.