Leath

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
I have an issue with Leath and hold him partially responsible for what occurred during VEISHEA this year. It all stems back to the decision he made when taking over as president of ISU, to grow the student enrollment to over 35,000 (similar to that of Kansas). While a good goal for the university, it was executed poorly, and is having terrible effects for some incoming students. In 4 years, ISU went from 29,500 in Fall 2011, to 33,200 in 2013. That is 4000 more people to be housed in Ames with little growth for on campus options. So what is the University to do? Buy property in Campus town of course. Combine that with the massive student populations in Friley/Helser and in Towers to the south, you suddenly have a high density of young students centered around Campustown (where all the bars are).

So VEISHEA 2014 rolls around, Tuesday occurs and a perfect storm of bad decisions occurs. An understaffed police force broke up a handful of house parties that were getting out of hand. All of those students go to Welch Ave, because where else would you go. Suddenly things start getting out of hand and those nearest the craziness (the underclassmen) joined in. You end up with too many (intoxicated) people in too small an area, and not enough police to address the situation.

Im not saying the students arnt responsible for what happened-anyone who wants to be considered an adult should be accountable for their actions. But I am saying that the administration is in part to blame for what occurred.

Some of this may be true, but campustown redevelopment has been a goal of the University and city for some time now (well before Leath). Therefore I think the density would have increased regardless of who is president, also they want to diversify the area so it isn't just dive bars (which might help reduce the binge drinking culture there a bit. IC has a very high density of students living in and around their downtown/campustown yet they don't have as big of problem, because they don't have a riot inducing festival that VEISHEA has unfortunately become. Also, I'm not sure your campustown argument really makes sense since the properties currently being leased in campustown had students living in them before ISU began to lease them, ISU has actually cleaned them up and kept the partying out of the ones they lease, now in the future density will be increasing greatly as new developments are being built but currently density isn't much different than its been for a few years. However there are more students attending ISU and living in Ames (increase has mostly been in other areas) so that is where your argument may have some validity. Still think the main problem is the hype around VEISHEA being a huge drunken out of control party with riots (which is backed up by the problems over the past 25 years).

Last edited:

Cycl1

Mar 14, 2012
North Liberty
Well, Bubu A. sucked and B. he was involved in an alleged sexual misconduct. are you sticking your neck out for that? I know I sure as hell am not. And if you're making a case for Leath not doing his job, this is about as weak of an argument as possible.

VEISHEA wasn't just thrown away on a whim. the university has given the students and VEISHEA like 5 or 6 chances over the years. I'm not happy to see an awesome tradition go away, but I also dont want to see incident after incident @ ISU in the news every couple years. If something isnt working, you cant just keep it around because it's always been there.
My guess is people are sticking their neck out for bubu because the case was thrown out for falsified evidence. I am alleging that you Steve French were involved in sexual misconduct, and my proof is this ripped shirt i just ripped.

See how that can rub people wrong? I have no idea of bubus actual involvement, but we live in a country where people are innocent until proven guilty, and evidence tampering is a crime.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Good point that "You Suck" isn't exactly swearing, but adding "you suck" is 100% counter to the intent of 5 claps.

Unfortunately it has been going on far too long for it to be changed without Fred's intervention.

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
My guess is people are sticking their neck out for bubu because the case was thrown out for falsified evidence. I am alleging that you Steve French were involved in sexual misconduct, and my proof is this ripped shirt i just ripped.

See how that can rub people wrong? I have no idea of bubus actual involvement, but we live in a country where people are innocent until proven guilty, and evidence tampering is a crime.

sigh....

you are apparently missing the point completely. it's not about whether bubu was guilty or not. Bubu was involved in something that was a black eye for the basketball team and the university. The individual i was responding to is using the president of the university not speaking out on bubu's behalf and demanding he play as an indicator of Leath's poor job performance. That's an absolutely ridiculous assertion.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Leath sucks because Geoffrey was likely the best president ever. Sat next to Geoffrey on a plane once and the guy was articulate, loved talking about ISU and I could just tell that he really cared.

Geoffrey >>>>>> Leath

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Making false evidence is a RED FLAG.

Bigbobhoss

Sep 14, 2013
San Francisco
[h=3]Hopefully Leath will choose to make a public appearance at half time of a football game. After Jischke threatened to cancel VEISHA in the 90s he was soundly booed when he decided to get announced on the Balcony of the Jacobson building at halftime. One of my favorite memories from a football game in the early McCarney era.[/h]

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
I just feel sad and amazed that a lot of people are blaming Leath instead of blaming the rioters and the enablers.
Go and do something to the rioters, chase them away from ISU but don't blame Leath.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
I have an issue with Leath and hold him partially responsible for what occurred during VEISHEA this year. It all stems back to the decision he made when taking over as president of ISU, to grow the student enrollment to over 35,000 (similar to that of Kansas). While a good goal for the university, it was executed poorly, and is having terrible effects for some incoming students. In 4 years, ISU went from 29,500 in Fall 2011, to 33,200 in 2013. That is 4000 more people to be housed in Ames with little growth for on campus options. So what is the University to do? Buy property in Campus town of course. Combine that with the massive student populations in Friley/Helser and in Towers to the south, you suddenly have a high density of young students centered around Campustown (where all the bars are).

So VEISHEA 2014 rolls around, Tuesday occurs and a perfect storm of bad decisions occurs. An understaffed police force broke up a handful of house parties that were getting out of hand. All of those students go to Welch Ave, because where else would you go. Suddenly things start getting out of hand and those nearest the craziness (the underclassmen) joined in. You end up with too many (intoxicated) people in too small an area, and not enough police to address the situation.

Im not saying the students arnt responsible for what happened-anyone who wants to be considered an adult should be accountable for their actions. But I am saying that the administration is in part to blame for what occurred.

You have to be kidding me. University growth caused these riots? WTF?

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I understand he's in a tough situation but does anyone else feel like he is not willing to fight for anything?

Bubu situation was tough obviously, but he was not willing to give Bubu a second chance at all.

Now VEISHEA happens which was also unfortunate and he just throws a tradition away that has been around for decades.

Needs to start fighting for things and not always take the easy way out.

Yes, I'm frustrated.

Enuf already. Where is the guy that posts the polls?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Leath is quoted in the paper as saying something like "I'm not going to be the president who has to call parents in the middle of the night to tell them something bad happened to their child." Perhaps it is just semantics, but that statement seems to be mostly about Leath.

It might have been better to say something like "I don't want any parents to have to receive a call from me telling them something bad happened to their child."

P.S. Hope nobody ever riots after a football or basketball game.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Leath is quoted in the paper as saying something like "I'm not going to be the president who has to call parents in the middle of the night to tell them something bad happened to their child." Perhaps it is just semantics, but that statement seems to be mostly about Leath.

It might have been better to say something like "I don't want any parents to have to receive a call from me telling them something bad happened to their child."

P.S. Hope nobody ever riots after a football or basketball game.
I think we've hit a new low on things to ***** about when we're complaining that the University President used the active voice instead of passive voice to make a statement.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
Leath has been generally good. Like it was mentioned above, he is terrible at PR. The one thing that troubles me is how he fired the ISU Foundation Director, who was the leader in the "Campaign Iowa State- With Pride and Purpose" which raised something like $867million.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I just feel sad and amazed that a lot of people are blaming Leath instead of blaming the rioters and the enablers.
Go and do something to the rioters, chase them away from ISU but don't blame Leath.
All Leath did was go hide in a closet with few constructive suggestions. Blame the rioters. Blame the enablers. Blame the fball players. Yet I do not see much effort to find a solution except to ****can everything.

He gets a C- for effort. Maybe he had to go on another safari.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
All Leath did was go hide in a closet with few constructive suggestions. Blame the rioters. Blame the enablers. Blame the fball players. Yet I do not see much effort to find a solution except to ****can everything.

He gets a C- for effort. Maybe he had to go on another safari.

Did Bubu write your bot software? Well, whoever did, I'd give them a C-...

Heaven forbid we actually blame the people who initially do the stupid things that create all the grief for the University...

Last edited:

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
That's because sexual assault/child abuse are two of the most degrading, despicable things you can do to another human.

Bubu and the female involved admitted that they had had a "friends with benefits" relationship for a long time before the incident. How the hell can you criticize the "immorality" of just one of the two parties willingly involved?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Bubu and the female involved admitted that they had had a "friends with benefits" relationship for a long time before the incident. How the hell can you criticize the "immorality" of just one of the two parties willingly involved?

In the encounter that got Bubu arrested, one party claims they weren't willingly involved. Has Bubu proven that this claim is false? As far as I know, that claim has not been proven true or false.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
I try to respect that all may have differing points of view However, stupid does not support any points of argument.