Leath

stevefrench

Aug 7, 2011
I understand he's in a tough situation but does anyone else feel like he is not willing to fight for anything?

Bubu situation was tough obviously, but he was not willing to give Bubu a second chance at all.

Now VEISHEA happens which was also unfortunate and he just throws a tradition away that has been around for decades.

Needs to start fighting for things and not always take the easy way out.

Yes, I'm frustrated.

Well, Bubu A. sucked and B. he was involved in an alleged sexual misconduct. are you sticking your neck out for that? I know I sure as hell am not. And if you're making a case for Leath not doing his job, this is about as weak of an argument as possible.

VEISHEA wasn't just thrown away on a whim. the university has given the students and VEISHEA like 5 or 6 chances over the years. I'm not happy to see an awesome tradition go away, but I also dont want to see incident after incident @ ISU in the news every couple years. If something isnt working, you cant just keep it around because it's always been there.

Me State

Oct 19, 2007
I still have yet to see a logical response from the people ****** off about this for options that the powers that be could have taken. Enlighten me

Because there isn't one. The only option people that want the event to stay can offer is to handle it better. What other options are there?
Riots are now ingrained into VEISHEA culture. All you have to do to see that is look at the VEISHEA thread on CycloneFanatic for this year. How many posts did it take to start talking about a riot? That is why the event had to be retired.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Because there isn't one. The only option people that want the event to stay can offer is to handle it better. What other options are there?
Madison WI had a history of big "disturbances/riots/call it what you want" on State St. during Halloween. So finally to solve the problem, they fenced the area off, charged admission to come on the grounds, brought in corporate tents and sponsors, had cops everywhere, and "tamed" it. We could have done the same for the 4 block area around Welch Ave., where all the problems are.
But...no one had the guts to try. It's so much easier to throw up your hands and cancel it...

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's really, really bad that he said that. That is a massive can of worms.

You would rather he let people continue with the "Bubu is a persecuted saint" b.s.?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You would rather he let people continue with the "Bubu is a persecuted saint" b.s.?
That's a little strong Angie, I thought you were more level headed than that. I'm just saying that Pollard shouldn't say those things, he probably should have just gave a corporate line, especially while there is still litigation with the case going on.
There is a section of religious people that would consider premarital sex immoral but there are still athletes at ISU that have children, or beat up a fan, or brought a bb gun on campus.

I'm just going by the law and the way the court proceedings are heading.

Reactions: cyrevkah

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
Madison WI had a history of big "disturbances/riots/call it what you want" on State St. during Halloween. So finally to solve the problem, they fenced the area off, charged admission to come on the grounds, brought in corporate tents and sponsors, had cops everywhere, and "tamed" it. We could have done the same for the 4 block area around Welch Ave., where all the problems are.
But...no one had the guts to try. It's so much easier to throw up your hands and cancel it...

That might have been a possible solution to try for VEISHEA weekend if it had, you know, not occurred on a Tuesday night this time. Are you really going to expect any large entity (of higher education no less) to sponsor a week-long drinking binge?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
That's a little strong Angie, I thought you were more level headed than that. I'm just saying that Pollard shouldn't say those things, he probably should have just gave a corporate line, especially while there is still litigation with the case going on.
There is a section of religious people that would consider premarital sex immoral but there are still athletes at ISU that have children, or beat up a fan, or brought a bb gun on campus.

I'm just going by the law and the way the court proceedings are heading.

It's actually not all that far off from some of the rhetoric we've seen in the never-ending Bubu threads here. Based off of the comments of JP himself here, the university is taking undeserved flack by the people who claim their decisions were baseless and biased. It's time for that to end, and the record to be set straight.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It's actually not all that far off from some of the rhetoric we've seen in the never-ending Bubu threads here. Based off of the comments of JP himself here, the university is taking undeserved flack by the people who claim their decisions were baseless and biased. It's time for that to end, and the record to be set straight.
And I hope it does (but probably never will) but it's still in court. I just don't think he should have said those words. If that's the case, how can he have a felon on a field at the same time?
I think since this was a sexual assault case that emotions are coming out strong on it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
And I hope it does (but probably never will) but it's still in court. I just don't think he should have said those words. If that's the case, how can he have a felon on a field at the same time?
I think since this was a sexual assault case that emotions are coming out strong on it.

That's because sexual assault/child abuse are two of the most degrading, despicable things you can do to another human.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
That's because sexual assault/child abuse are two of the most degrading, despicable things you can do to another human.
Exactly matching my words and feelings.
But answer the rest then. How can he say that Bubu was immoral but have a felon on a football field? I'm not trying to get into an argument, I just said it's a can of worms.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Exactly matching my words and feelings.
But answer the rest then. How can he say that Bubu was immoral but have a felon on a football field? I'm not trying to get into an argument, I just said it's a can of worms.
I think most people who wanted Gary to be **** canned also want Bubu to go away.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think most people who wanted Gary to be **** canned also want Bubu to go away.
Yes, as did I. But I'm also not the one in charge classifying one person as immoral but not the other and the other has been convicted.

MaccloNe

Sep 21, 2011
Leath sucks because [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Geoffrey was likely the best president ever. Sat next to [/FONT]Geoffrey on a plane once and the guy was articulate, loved talking about ISU and I could just tell that he really cared.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Leath sucks because Geoffrey was likely the best president ever. Sat next to Geoffrey on a plane once and the guy was articulate, loved talking about ISU and I could just tell that he really cared.
Nice reasoning. Brilliant, really.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Leath sucks because Geoffrey was likely the best president ever. Sat next to Geoffrey on a plane once and the guy was articulate, loved talking about ISU and I could just tell that he really cared.
I chatted with Leath while tailgating once and got the same vibe.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
I have an issue with Leath and hold him partially responsible for what occurred during VEISHEA this year. It all stems back to the decision he made when taking over as president of ISU, to grow the student enrollment to over 35,000 (similar to that of Kansas). While a good goal for the university, it was executed poorly, and is having terrible effects for some incoming students. In 4 years, ISU went from 29,500 in Fall 2011, to 33,200 in 2013. That is 4000 more people to be housed in Ames with little growth for on campus options. So what is the University to do? Buy property in Campus town of course. Combine that with the massive student populations in Friley/Helser and in Towers to the south, you suddenly have a high density of young students centered around Campustown (where all the bars are).

So VEISHEA 2014 rolls around, Tuesday occurs and a perfect storm of bad decisions occurs. An understaffed police force broke up a handful of house parties that were getting out of hand. All of those students go to Welch Ave, because where else would you go. Suddenly things start getting out of hand and those nearest the craziness (the underclassmen) joined in. You end up with too many (intoxicated) people in too small an area, and not enough police to address the situation.

Im not saying the students arnt responsible for what happened-anyone who wants to be considered an adult should be accountable for their actions. But I am saying that the administration is in part to blame for what occurred.

Reactions: CyDude16

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I have NEVER said "let it go". I have offered suggestions more than once, only to be met with the answer that "veishea is all about the parties, man..." That crowd could have been chanting HERPES HERPES but it wouldn't have made the criminal activities "all about STD's".

My thoughts:
Stop the night activities. Work in conjunction with ISU PD and Ames PD to manage the alcohol consumption and massing. Arrest people and make them PAY for the damages. Kick offending students out of school. Change the culture of drinking that permeates the student body...get the students involved in policing themselves. VEISHEA is about the colleges, about attracting donors & potential students with the variety of student activities and classroom disciplines. No matter how many times people say it, VEISHEA is NOT about the drinking. If someone thinks it is, that's on them, not on the organizers of VEISHEA and all of the students involved in the displays and family friendly campus events, who no longer have their celebration because a bunch of lameass drunks can't have fun without getting blottoed.

I'm done. I'm too ****** to keep commenting. Sorry I ended up blowing up on your post, Angie...I hope you accept my apology.

I think that the culture of drinking is the biggest problem and that is nearly impossible to stop. If you stop nighttime activities, there are still going to be huge house parties a kids from around the state coming to Ames to party. If you fence off Welch, that still doesn't stop the parties and the eventual riots when they get busted. The riot will just be on Hunt or someplace similar. Like it or not, VEISHEA is and has been associated with riots and if it continued, you're still going to get every small town loser from around the state coming into town to get wasted and start trouble. It sucks that all the good parts of VEISHEA won't be around, but I just have a hard time seeing any other solution that isn't pie in the sky.

Help Support Us

Become a patron