Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Who are they?

To paraphrase, white kids who played at Iowa with a podcast who believe the perceived racism is more an issue of "bully culture". They seem to believe the "Iowa Way" is borne in discipline and culture, and that if anything the racial issues were just an unintended consequence of the discipline and culture associated with Iowa football. I'm sure the @Brodie0 's of the world can correct me if I've misstated something, as I'm sure they've listened more than I have.

May be some truth to what they say, but it's hard to ignore the disparity in punishments, drug testing, etc.

They have a podcast you can check out if you want the details.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
To paraphrase, white kids who played at Iowa with a podcast who believe the perceived racism is more an issue of "bully culture". They seem to believe the "Iowa Way" is borne in discipline and culture, and that if anything the racial issues were just an unintended consequence of the discipline and culture associated with Iowa football. I'm sure the @Brodie0 's of the world can correct me if I've misstated something, as I'm sure they've listened more than I have.

May be some truth to what they say, but it's hard to ignore the disparity in punishments, drug testing, etc.

They have a podcast you can check out if you want the details.

Your first sentence said enough. White kids saying black kids weren't discriminated against basically? Yeah, that is a good source to go by.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Your first sentence said enough. White kids saying black kids weren't discriminated against basically? Yeah, that is a good source to go by.

...and that's where I struggle. They are certainly entitled to tell the story as they see it. I get that. But to pretend their experience is in any way dispositive as to the scope and nature of racial issues is where I have a hard time.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
No...Do you think the entire athletic dept is racist?

When the Barta loses a settlement on sexual discrimination, along with other settlements, and the football racism issue, and he is the head of the Athletic Department, I would say that there is a gender racism issue in the department. Since Barta is the head man there he should go down with the ship (football staff) to. Barta is better at raising money (donors) and (losing) money settlements for the department than actually leading the department, but by all means you can keep him in the fold.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
What should I do differently as a fan? The everyday fan didn't know all of this stuff before Daniels said something. Were we supporting a racist program when we didn't know anything about any of this?
That is a question you have to wrestle with. It seems like there is loyalty to Kirk not to the spirit of collegiate sport or the fair and proper treatment of student athletes that have pulled on the black and gold.

I understand that there is a lot going into this but what is fair, appropriate, and just for what has happened to those young men? Is it equitable that Doyle was making 800k/year plus his camp money while treating African American men terribly? Is it ok that KF was raking in 4+mm/year while knowing that there were serious racial issues in his program?

KF and the fan base can't have it both ways. KF can't take credit for the success but ignore the hideous stuff that happened to the athletes. I have been on the record from the beginning saying that Kirk should have a self-actualizing moment and resign at the end of 2020 season. Start a charitable foundation that speaks to race inequality in sports and transform, and become a leader in the space. He really doesn't belong at the end of a P5 program after 20+years of enabling systemic racism. KF could salvage his reputation and make a difference. Brian has no place anywhere near college athletes at this point.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is such a ridiculous post, I don’t even know where to start.

Pointing out that someone is exaggerating a story, or that they are not telling the truth, is not an attempt to smear their character.

Further, I am not using the Washed Up Walkons podcast to prove anything. I am bringing them up because their statements corroborate and support the claims of James Daniels and Jordan Lomax.

Finally, it’s hilarious that you would accuse the Washed Up Walkon guys of having an agenda to push, yet you never once questioned the agenda of Robert T. Green or some of the former players who have come forward with outlandish or obviously false claims.

Daniels and Lomax also said their was voting discrepancy in how captains were chosen but you choose not to believe that

Last edited:

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
What should I do differently as a fan? The everyday fan didn't know all of this stuff before Daniels said something. Were we supporting a racist program when we didn't know anything about any of this?

I actually brought up their being racism problems within the program over 2 years ago when I first found out about and got blasted by Iowa fans for it

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
I think that's such a lazy question. Do I think Kirk hates black people? No. Do I think he's out attending KKK rallies in his free time? No. So a racist by it's typical definition, no, I don't think he is.

But that's such a lazy line to draw. He was well aware that there were issues of racism and racial disparity in his program and chose to do nothing about it. To me, that's a big, big issue and it's a form of racism. On the same level as what I mentioned above? No. Damaging? Yes.
It was your question, I just asked it back to you. You also said "Athletic Department" not the football program.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Does anyone else think that Rob Howe doing his job that the HN site will wither away?

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
No one is disputing that there were racial issues in the Iowa program. The program has taken steps to address those issues and will continue to take further action going forward. The current players, and many former players, seem to think that Kirk is the right person to lead those changes. That’s good enough for me.

The purpose of bringing up Lomax’s comments is to point out that most of the outlandish stories - the ones that many of you point to in support of your assertions that KF, BF, etc. need to be fired - are sensationalized or flat out fabricated.
That is such a broken record statement by you hawk fans that is just untrue. I'll say it again....silence by the overwhelming majority of players, current or former, does NOT mean they support Kirk. No matter how badly you wish that it did

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That is such a broken record statement by you hawk fans that is just untrue. I'll say it again....silence by the overwhelming majority of players, current or former, does NOT mean they support Kirk. No matter how badly you wish that it did
There is absolutely a 0% chance a current player would say something bad about Kirk or any current coach right now.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Why do you think no one has transferred?
I answered this before, but I think most of that has to do with Iowa being fairly confident within their program that Kirk and co. are going to come out on the other side of this thing. Then you throw in the whole COVID aspect of things.

There's documented proof that Kirk's culture has caused a lot of players to transfer in the past. That proof doesn't only come from some of the former player's accusations in which they stated why they left. There was statistical evidence showing the high rate of African American players that transferred compared to white players who transferred even though Iowa's teams have been predominantly white.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Based on the Lomax article today. How can the overall coaching staff not be held accountable. That specific player (and others), had to go to assistant coaches to discuss concerns. And you think color was not discussed! And if assistant coaches cannot go to Kirk about the discussions - there are some major concerns overall in that program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron