Just tested positive for the COVID...

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I'm 99% sure I had it last February, about a month before they could test for it. I woke up with a 102 temp and a sore throat, that went away in a couple days. After that I had no taste or smell and completely exhausted. Then my lungs started hurting and I was winded jsut walking around the house.

After missing 1 week of work I decided to go to the doctor because I wasn't recovering like I normally do. No flu, no pneumonia, no strep after my doctor did a bunch of tests. After my appt I decided to go get some groceries at Costco and had to go sit in the car, felt like I was going to pass out just from walking around the store.

Missed another week in bed after that. I finally started feeling well enough to go back to work after about 2 weeks, and took another full week after that before I felt normal again.

I thought about getting the antibody test to see if I had it but decided not to waste resources just from my own curiosity. I've seen where they found Covid in blood samples from last November and December in Iowa so im pretty sure i experienced it before I knew what was going on. I just don't get sick like that and if I do i recover in 3 days not 3 weeks.There were 2 or 3 other people I work in close contact with that missed significant time right around the time I was sick also.

I haven't had any lasting impacts from it and felt back to normal after about 3 weeks of taking it easy.

Pretty much the same. Was in Dallas for a trade show. Sickest I have ever been. Woke up on morning and was wheezing and coughing so bad I basically could not breathe. Thought to myself, “I can’t go into the hallway of the hotel and yell for help because no could have heard me as I couldn’t breath.” I just calmed down and was I full meds DayQuil and NyQuil. I wonder if I had it since I’ve tested negative every time I’ve got checked.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Had it in Nov, ran a fever for 36 hrs tired for a couple of days, and has been fine since. I was lucky I got the mild version of it. Looking forward to getting my folks vaccinated ASAP, they both are older and have a long list of preexisting conditions.

To the OP good luck on your recovery!

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
Repost of my symptoms when I had it in Nov. Other than being tired all the time, it wasn't a very potent illness. Whatever the hell was going around Nov/Dec of 2019 knocked me out way worse than this did.

------------------------------------------------------
The first symptom I had was that I felt high. So much so, that I told Alexa to shuffle songs by Tool. A fever of 100+ started about 24 hours after my Tool session, but it broke by the next morning. Tested positve that afternoon. After that I was tired all the time and had no appetite. That lasted for about 10 days. No cough and nothing happening in the lungs. I couldn't smell the peppermint schnapps I was sipping on, but that isn't a huge deal.

btw, peppermint is a good test for your sense of smell. Found a research paper that mentioned this. When my fever was around 99.5, the schapps was smelling kind of like an industrial glue. When the fever eclipsed 100, I could no longer smell the schnapps at all. I could feel the alcohol with my nose, but could not smell the peppermint anymore.

H

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Peter

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
I got it in November right after Thanksgiving (no family get together, not sure how we got it in our house,

After Halloween, my wife and I dialed back activities and stayed home while cases in Iowa were exploding. Tested positive on Nov 21 with symptoms starting on the 19th. Couldn't tell you where or how I got it. There are only a couple candidates. Mask was worn at all of them.

I did manage avoid giving covid to my wife. I isolated for 10 days after my test, but the night before, a sneeze caught me off guard in the kitchen and I did a poor job of containing it into my arm. Surprised my wife didn't get it from that.

H

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
After Halloween, my wife and I dialed back activities and stayed home while cases in Iowa were exploding. Tested positive on Nov 21 with symptoms starting on the 19th. Couldn't tell you where or how I got it. There are only a couple candidates. Mask was worn at all of them.

I did manage avoid giving covid to my wife. I isolated for 10 days after my test, but the night before, a sneeze caught me off guard in the kitchen and I did a poor job of containing it into my arm. Surprised my wife didn't get it from that.

H
the mask doesn't really prevent you from getting it at all, it's to keep you from spreading it. but at the same time we had a meeting where one of the members had tested earlier in the day and then it came back positive and he had mild symptoms a few days later even. I sat right next to him for over an hour at the time and my test as well as the others next to him all came back negative afterwards with no issues later on either.

cyclone13

Apr 7, 2009
My brother in law passed away last Thursday due to Covid. He had no pre-existing conditions. The first week it was all gastro intestinal, then the breathing problems started.
My sister got tested when he tested positive. She tested positive as well. It barely affected her
Sorry for your loss

• Friendly
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

Christopher C

May 22, 2020
I hope everyone considers listening/reading, "Breath," by James Nestor. Really good breakdown of how breathing incorrectly leaves us susceptible to many common ailments all the way to something like this.

Hope everyone is doing well at this time given the circumstances.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hope everyone considers listening/reading, "Breath," by James Nestor. Really good breakdown of how breathing incorrectly leaves us susceptible to many common ailments all the way to something like this.

If we all became Wijm Hof disciples this would never happen again.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017

So you're saying ... if I had been breathing correctly the day my friend with Covid was near me... I wouldn't have caught it? Like in and out isn't proper?

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
So you're saying ... if I had been breathing correctly the day my friend with Covid was near me... I wouldn't have caught it? Like in and out isn't proper?
I think he's the guy who talks about breathing exclusively through the nose.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
I think he's the guy who talks about breathing exclusively through the nose.
Ok thanks for clarifying. But pretty sure if I had been breathing through my a$$ I would have caught Covid that day. I'll bet on blood type versus breathing has much more to do with catching it. I'm A positive and if you're A positive you've got a covid bullseye on your chest.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Ok thanks for clarifying. But pretty sure if I had been breathing through my a$$ I would have caught Covid that day. I'll bet on blood type versus breathing has much more to do with catching it. I'm A positive and if you're A positive you've got a covid bullseye on your chest.
His theory is the nose has a whole bunch of apparatuses for filtering out gunk in the air and germs and stuff. Not sure if it is anchored in reality or not.

Chitownclone2

May 13, 2010
I (M45) had it earlier this month with onset symptoms similar to yours. Bad headache for a week. Lost smell a few days in that is not completely back after 4 weeks. Bad cough for 2 weeks and its mild still. Never have been so tired those first couple of weeks and still more than normal 4 weeks later. Wife is having the lingering tiredness also and cough. I’ve been much sicker for 1-3 days, but never this long and the loss of smell is strange! You’ve got this... feel better!!!

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
the mask doesn't really prevent you from getting it at all, it's to keep you from spreading it.

I didn't say it, but guess what everyone else was doing in those same places? 100% mask compliance in the few places I visited within the incubation time window.

H

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My brother in law passed away last Thursday due to Covid. He had no pre-existing conditions. The first week it was all gastro intestinal, then the breathing problems started.
My sister got tested when he tested positive. She tested positive as well. It barely affected her
Sorry for your loss bud. Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I know where and basically when I got Covid. My wife who showed symptoms the next day coughed three times right in my face while I was almost asleep. That was a pretty easy one

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Maybe there are already enough COVID threads on here, in which case, feel free to delete. I'm just curious about everyone's experiences with it (i.e. symptoms, timelines, etc.). Certainly don't want to get political. I started getting a cough on Sunday, with a little bit of a headache, and a little congestion. Took some ibuprofin and had a few whiskeys watching the football games, and felt okay. Still coughing yesterday, but last night my smell wasn't very good. I could smell, but I'd have to be really close. Last night, nose started running, and still coughing. Still a little headache. Went and got the rapid test, and came back positive. If it doesn't get worse than this, I'll be a happy guy. I do have asthma, which makes me a little nervous, but so far, so good.

I think lack of smell and subsequent lack of taste is the most common complaint I've heard from people who have had covid. The latest study I've seen on it, says the sense of taste and smell usually comes back in 8-9 days and returned to 98 percent of patients within 28 days. However, some people still haven't recovered it after several months.

If I couldn't taste my food, I'd probably drop a lot of weight I don't need, however, the downside would be I couldn't taste my food.:confused:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Hoping I can get on the list for the Vaccine (M65). The local grocery chain, Publix (sort of a Hy-Vee equivalent here in the SE) is doing the majority of the immunizations. The sign-up is on-line by county and next iteration is tomorrow AM at 6:00. I have my alarm set for 5:45.
Success! Got on the website at 6:00AM. There were 1206 appointment available for my county. They put you in the queue and the screen automatically refreshed every 60 seconds. If you were up in the queue it brought up a button to make your appointment. Until that screen popped up for me I watched the availability drop to around 650 doses. It was about 6:30 when I finally got in.

My appointment is for tomorrow at 4:00 PM about 30 minutes from where I live. They automatically schedule for the 2nd dose for you. My second dose is on Feb 25th.

So now I just have to keep well another 40 days or so and I should be in the clear to the best of medical science's ability.

Last edited: