Just tested positive for the COVID...

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Has anyone heard of a non-healthcare worker getting vaccine? Best # I can find is 18 million Americans working in healthcare and even if all of them are "front line" shouldn't we be beyond that at 500k-ish or more a day?

My brother is a coach/ retired teacher and got first shot this week. A bunch of the teachers where he coaches were declining the vaccination.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I will trade with your son for about 4 months. I need to shed the Covid weight.

Wish that could work. I am six pounds below the weight I was at when doctor told me to gain 10-14 pounds so I have been avoiding going to the doctor with excuse of not wanting to go cause Covid lol. Like beam me 15 pounds. But more worried about my son.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Tested positive on jan. 8th. Went into ER first time on 11th went into ER again on 13th and was admitted to hospital from 13th-18th.

I thought maybe the suspension of basketball activities was just because you couldn’t post game day thread but you seem to have taken care of that with one thread for the rest of the season.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I ran a low grade temp for about 30 hours, then lost my sense of smell a few days later. I don't think mine ever got to my lungs because I never really had much of a cough or shortness of breath. I was pretty drained of energy for a solid week though, and then would have a few good days followed by being drained again the next day the following week. My sense of smell came back slowly after 2 weeks.

Good luck. I will say it is liberating to be through it.

I got it in November right after Thanksgiving (no family get together, not sure how we got it in our house, probably brought home by our 5 year old daughter) - and my symptoms were about the same as above. Had a headache during the fever for the first couple of days, then started noticing the change/loss of taste and smell a few days later, and both senses were completely gone a couple days after that and returned about 10 days later.

The loss of taste/smell was definitely strange. Never experienced that before.

I will also say that I experienced what I would call a "brain fog" for a couple of weeks also from the onset of symptoms. I could tell my cognitive function was not sharp and I just felt......slow to react to things. Also a very odd feeling. I could immediately feel that when it came back, it felt like clouds had lifted off my brain over the course of a day or so at the end of symptoms.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Has anyone heard of a non-healthcare worker getting vaccine? Best # I can find is 18 million Americans working in healthcare and even if all of them are "front line" shouldn't we be beyond that at 500k-ish or more a day?

Yes. Here in Iowa I know of someone who works at the Rock Island Arsenal (civilian military employee) that got it through work, and multiple people in nursing homes.

Iowa is a bit behind - but 65+ (non-nursing home) can start getting vaccinated next week and I think other states started this week or last week.

Reactions: HFCS

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yes. Here in Iowa I know of someone who works at the Rock Island Arsenal (civilian military employee) that got it through work, and multiple people in nursing homes.

Iowa is a bit behind - but 65+ (non-nursing home) can start getting vaccinated next week and I think other states started this week or last week.

I know prison workers and law enforcement who have received vaccine as well.

Reactions: bawbie

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Quite a few. The local nursing homes and assisted living homes residents around us have all received them. A hospital in KC had spare vaccines so they let them call their spouses in and have them. Local teachers are supposed to be coming up in about 2 weeks. I know a few elderly people who have gotten it. Most have the first shot and are now just receiving the second.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I got it in November right after Thanksgiving (no family get together, not sure how we got it in our house, probably brought home by our 5 year old daughter) - and my symptoms were about the same as above. Had a headache during the fever for the first couple of days, then started noticing the change/loss of taste and smell a few days later, and both senses were completely gone a couple days after that and returned about 10 days later.

The loss of taste/smell was definitely strange. Never experienced that before.

I will also say that I experienced what I would call a "brain fog" for a couple of weeks also from the onset of symptoms. I could tell my cognitive function was not sharp and I just felt......slow to react to things. Also a very odd feeling. I could immediately feel that when it came back, it felt like clouds had lifted off my brain over the course of a day or so at the end of symptoms.

Agreed. The fog was real, and it was a stark difference I was out of it. I don't think I had any memory lapses at least. I had to record a presentation the day of my peak symptoms, and I was definitely off my game. For me it felt like it does when I've had a nasty cold and it takes a few days to get out of the fog and fatigue portion of the cold, only covid lasted over a week in that zone. A lot of sinus pressure, but not much more than a dry cough.

I also had a weird sensation that my skin on my back and chest was extremely sensitive. I would put on a shirt and it felt like a mild scraping sensation where ever the shirt was making contact. That lasted about 3 days.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
My brother is a coach/ retired teacher and got first shot this week. A bunch of the teachers where he coaches were declining the vaccination.

I'd hit a like/love for your brother but people with an advanced reserved spot in line declining worries me that the speed of things might be compromised. Hopefully there's some way to skip people without slowing it down.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I'm 99% sure I had it last February, about a month before they could test for it. I woke up with a 102 temp and a sore throat, that went away in a couple days. After that I had no taste or smell and completely exhausted. Then my lungs started hurting and I was winded jsut walking around the house.

After missing 1 week of work I decided to go to the doctor because I wasn't recovering like I normally do. No flu, no pneumonia, no strep after my doctor did a bunch of tests. After my appt I decided to go get some groceries at Costco and had to go sit in the car, felt like I was going to pass out just from walking around the store.

Missed another week in bed after that. I finally started feeling well enough to go back to work after about 2 weeks, and took another full week after that before I felt normal again.

I thought about getting the antibody test to see if I had it but decided not to waste resources just from my own curiosity. I've seen where they found Covid in blood samples from last November and December in Iowa so im pretty sure i experienced it before I knew what was going on. I just don't get sick like that and if I do i recover in 3 days not 3 weeks.There were 2 or 3 other people I work in close contact with that missed significant time right around the time I was sick also.

I haven't had any lasting impacts from it and felt back to normal after about 3 weeks of taking it easy.
basically same experience here, sickest I have ever been mid February last year, with a cough/shortness of breath/easily winded into March. I have wanted to do a red cross blood donation to do the anti body test, but finding a time slot that works for me around here has been impossible, and at this point who knows if they will even show up? Co-worker who had the same crap at the same time as me last year tested positive for Covid with symptoms mid November and says he felt the same way again, and he doesn't have full taste or smell back yet.

Last edited:

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa

my county opened it up to everyone 65+ had ~400 doses and the schedule filled up in about 2 hours.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My brother in law passed away last Thursday due to Covid. He had no pre-existing conditions. The first week it was all gastro intestinal, then the breathing problems started.
My sister got tested when he tested positive. She tested positive as well. It barely affected her

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
My brother in law passed away last Thursday due to Covid. He had no pre-existing conditions. The first week it was all gastro intestinal, then the breathing problems started.
My sister got tested when he tested positive. She tested positive as well. It barely affected her
It’s in my house right now but I tested negative today. As did both little JMs. This is the **** that scares the hell out of me. I have no conditions since I made some significant health/diet changes about two years ago. But stories like this are beyond frightening.

• Friendly
Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I'd hit a like/love for your brother but people with an advanced reserved spot in line declining worries me that the speed of things might be compromised. Hopefully there's some way to skip people without slowing it down.

Agree. The only way we get some semblance of normal is for enough people to get the vaccine and/or the illness to greatly reduce the spread. It seems a bit like playing Russian roulette to just have everyone get the virus. And husband’s radiologist friend is very worried about long term health affects with lung damage.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
It’s in my house right now but I tested negative today. As did both little JMs. This is the **** that scares the hell out of me. I have no conditions since I made some significant health/diet changes about two years ago. But stories like this are beyond frightening.
It's very strange how some people are barely affected while others are ravaged.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Friend of mine is a volunteer firefighter in Mn, he is getting his 2nd shot this wk.