Just tested positive for the COVID...

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Had it in November. Felt like a mid level cold. 10 day isolation was the worst part. Completely lost smell and taste for a month. Taste is back about 75%. Smell is back 25%. Hope your case is mild. Just had a friend age 65 spend 9 days in the hospital and his wife thought he was a goner. Home on oxygen. Crazy varied impact zone for so many.

This. for sure. I have yet to get it. Never been tested but no reason to believe I've had it so far. Friend's grandmother died of it. Her progression was crazy. Symptoms on a Monday, hospital Tuesday, ICU Wednesday, died on Thursday. She was elderly so high high risk, of course, but just shocking how fast it takes over some peoples bodies.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I have lived with asthma almost my entire life. It wasn’t until recently that I found that asthma is a result of body inflammation. I started to avoid eating sugar, white flour, bread and processed carbs. Foods that my body just didn’t respond well to. I rarely need an inhaler now and found that the times I do need one, is when I have not followed the plan.

Just my experience for what it is worth.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Maybe there are already enough COVID threads on here, in which case, feel free to delete. I'm just curious about everyone's experiences with it (i.e. symptoms, timelines, etc.). Certainly don't want to get political. I started getting a cough on Sunday, with a little bit of a headache, and a little congestion. Took some ibuprofin and had a few whiskeys watching the football games, and felt okay. Still coughing yesterday, but last night my smell wasn't very good. I could smell, but I'd have to be really close. Last night, nose started running, and still coughing. Still a little headache. Went and got the rapid test, and came back positive. If it doesn't get worse than this, I'll be a happy guy. I do have asthma, which makes me a little nervous, but so far, so good.

You're about 1 in 15 Americans according to the best estimates.

My allergy related sinus issues are so bad throughout my life that if the symptoms are anything like sinus symptoms I will never know I had it. No loss of smell/taste but I've battled the typical 3-4 sinus issues over these ten months (neti pot is the only useful tool against it).

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Within my own scope of people I know who have gotten it, I've seen everything from totally asymptomatic, to mild cold-like, to out a few days then back, to messed up for a couple weeks, to having COVID for a few weeks followed by more weeks of having lowered immunity to other things. It's crazy how varied this thing can be person-to-person. Stay safe and stay healthy.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and stories. That's the scary thing about this virus, you just don't know what to expect. Feel free to keep sharing your stories. I'm interested to hear what others have gone through, and I'm looking for symptoms parallel to mine, hoping to get some kind of read on this (although it seems no two cases are the same).

• Friendly
Reactions: Peter

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Thanks, everyone, for the kind words and stories. That's the scary thing about this virus, you just don't know what to expect. Feel free to keep sharing your stories. I'm interested to hear what others have gone through, and I'm looking for symptoms parallel to mine, hoping to get some kind of read on this (although it seems no two cases are the same).

I just saw a blip somewhere advising to avoid exercise even if you feel fine, which I think is a general rule for getting sick so there's that.

Told my deal 1,000 times but likely had it in March right when things started going down. Had a low grade fever type thing for a few days, felt like what I get after my flu shot except longer. Didn't think anything of it, then one day my temp went up and I got a pretty good fever for a day. Tests weren't very available so was just advised to quarantine unless it got worse, which it didn't.
Had positive ABs in late May and except for one negative at my Dr., Red Cross donations have found positive ABs including last week so I'll keep donating plasma.

Get some good rest and get well!

Reactions: Gunnerclone

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
One of my kids’ girlfriends had it in August. She still has no sense of taste so now instead of fancy coffee she just drinks cheap black coffee. She fatigues easily and has lung scarring. She needed supplemental oxygen at home but was not hospitalized. She is 29 I think.

My 27 year old son was a groomsman in a super spreader wedding. He has asthma and bad allergy and sinus issues. No confusing those with Covid as his primary symptom was nausea. Got to the point he was throwing up the Mucinex. He and another groomsmen from the wedding checked on each other. That kid had unrelenting severe headaches. Son also had some hallucinations. Son still is fatigued and cannot straighten out his sleep schedule. His friend does not have lingering symptoms.

Assuming that you are young enough that my three friends/ acquaintances between ages of 48 and 63 that have passed away are not relevant to your health situation.

Have friend who had to delay his chemo because he had Covid but probably was able to fight the Covid better since he had not started the chemo. In his 40’s, his symptoms were bad cough and fever, but they lingered longer than the younger people, sick for three weeks. Even though my son’s symptoms were severe, the worst of it was only three days and by the the time he got his test results, he felt good besides the fatigue. Even with his asthma, his blood oxygen didn’t go below 97. His fever never reached 100.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
I'm 99% sure I had it last February, about a month before they could test for it. I woke up with a 102 temp and a sore throat, that went away in a couple days. After that I had no taste or smell and completely exhausted. Then my lungs started hurting and I was winded jsut walking around the house.

After missing 1 week of work I decided to go to the doctor because I wasn't recovering like I normally do. No flu, no pneumonia, no strep after my doctor did a bunch of tests. After my appt I decided to go get some groceries at Costco and had to go sit in the car, felt like I was going to pass out just from walking around the store.

Missed another week in bed after that. I finally started feeling well enough to go back to work after about 2 weeks, and took another full week after that before I felt normal again.

I thought about getting the antibody test to see if I had it but decided not to waste resources just from my own curiosity. I've seen where they found Covid in blood samples from last November and December in Iowa so im pretty sure i experienced it before I knew what was going on. I just don't get sick like that and if I do i recover in 3 days not 3 weeks.There were 2 or 3 other people I work in close contact with that missed significant time right around the time I was sick also.

I haven't had any lasting impacts from it and felt back to normal after about 3 weeks of taking it easy.

• Friendly
  • Agree
Reactions: Peter and motorcy90

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Hoping I can get on the list for the Vaccine (M65). The local grocery chain, Publix (sort of a Hy-Vee equivalent here in the SE) is doing the majority of the immunizations. The sign-up is on-line by county and next iteration is tomorrow AM at 6:00. I have my alarm set for 5:45.

Not to get dragged down into a sidebar, but I love Publix. Have one about 5 minutes from the house. Unfortunately, they're not doing vaccinations at my Publix (yet, hopefully that changes).

To OP's original post, neither me, my wife, nor my kids have gotten it (that we know of). However, pretty much the rest of my family got it at Thanksgiving (we declined to travel to Iowa for this year). Symptoms were all over the board.

My father (62) had fevers that came and went. Lost his sense of taste and smell for a while, and apparently when his sense of smell came back, everything smelled...uh....like poo, I guess. Also, he had lots of pain in his feet. He also was very very tired. I think his symptoms lasted about 10 days or so.

My mother (61) had a slight tickle in the back of her throat, no cough, no fever, no runny nose.

My grandmother (88, mother's mother) had the same symptoms as my mother. She never got tested (advice of her doctor), but based on the fact that everybody else got it, it's likely she had it as well.

My brother (34) had symptoms similar to my father, but not as severe. No poo smell upon that sense returning.

My brother's wife (32) had fever, cough, body aches, loss of smell and taste. She probably had it the worst of all of them.

My other brother (26) had fever and some aches. Not sure what else. He's a diabetic, but no complications.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Me and everyone I live with had it in December. We all pretty much ran fever for a day or two and were tired for a few days and that was about it.

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
One of my kids’ girlfriends had it in August. She still has no sense of taste so now instead of fancy coffee she just drinks cheap black coffee. She fatigues easily and has lung scarring. She needed supplemental oxygen at home but was not hospitalized. She is 29 I think.

My 27 year old son was a groomsman in a super spreader wedding. He has asthma and bad allergy and sinus issues. No confusing those with Covid as his primary symptom was nausea. Got to the point he was throwing up the Mucinex. He and another groomsmen from the wedding checked on each other. That kid had unrelenting severe headaches. Son also had some hallucinations. Son still is fatigued and cannot straighten out his sleep schedule. His friend does not have lingering symptoms.

Assuming that you are young enough that my three friends/ acquaintances between ages of 48 and 63 that have passed away are not relevant to your health situation.

Have friend who had to delay his chemo because he had Covid but probably was able to fight the Covid better since he had not started the chemo. In his 40’s, his symptoms were bad cough and fever, but they lingered longer than the younger people, sick for three weeks. Even though my son’s symptoms were severe, the worst of it was only three days and by the the time he got his test results, he felt good besides the fatigue. Even with his asthma, his blood oxygen didn’t go below 97. His fever never reached 100.

I'm 46. I keep hearing about the blood oxygen levels. I wonder if I should get one of those fingertip devices to check it...

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Reading these and knowing stories that others have shared. My uneducated guess is that it seems like different people just produce antibodies differently and maybe that is causing so much variation. Some people say their ABs are gone in roughly 90 days. I know some that are pushing 10 months and still have them. Could be some people just don’t produce the ABs to fight this very well.

Another possibility is that there are multiple strains and which one you get could be the difference.

Basically, like you mentioned, there isn’t two identical responses so it is anyone’s guess. The good news is, that they seem to have figured better treatment and detection methods.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I'm 46. I keep hearing about the blood oxygen levels. I wonder if I should get one of those fingertip devices to check it...

We picked one up early in the fall. I think I spent around $40 on it at Walgreens. It was reassuring to be able to check when we had covid. On another note, my resting pulse rate is no longer anything to brag about.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012

I would recommend that. We sent them to all of our kids early on, so when the one got Covid, he could check.

When he called about a test, they asked him questions and told him testing center closed but to go to emergency room, so his friend with Covid drove him as he was hallucinating things falling on top of him in his apartment. But his blood oxygen was 98 at his apartment and 98 at ER. Suspect the hallucinations were dehydration from constant vomiting.

It was a comfort level to know the blood ox. I think it would have helped some of those folks who went downhill at home alone to be able to check that.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Reading these and knowing stories that others have shared. My uneducated guess is that it seems like different people just produce antibodies differently and maybe that is causing so much variation. Some people say their ABs are gone in roughly 90 days. I know some that are pushing 10 months and still have them. Could be some people just don’t produce the ABs to fight this very well.

Another possibility is that there are multiple strains and which one you get could be the difference.

Basically, like you mentioned, there isn’t two identical responses so it is anyone’s guess. The good news is, that they seem to have figured better treatment and detection methods.

I suspect viral load may be a component.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Good luck on your recovery. I have not had it, but have a doctor friend and he recommended the following for over the counter treatments. Vitamin C and D (5000 ui, not as big as it sounds), Aspirin for fever and inflammation, zinc, tonic water, and Pepcid AC.

I have all this stuff on hand, and take the vitamins everyday.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Good luck on your recovery. I have not had it, but have a doctor friend and he recommended the following for over the counter treatments. Vitamin C and D (5000 ui, not as big as it sounds), Aspirin for fever and inflammation, zinc, tonic water, and Pepcid AC.

I have all this stuff on hand, and take the vitamins everyday.

Husband has a friend who is radiologist and looks at Covid x-rays most of the time now. Worried about long term health impacts for lots of these “recoveries.” I am worried about son’s girlfriend on that.

My son with Covid liked really cold vitamin water first thing in the morning, less likely to vomit that somehow than even just water.

• Friendly
Reactions: bawbie

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
You're about 1 in 15 Americans according to the best estimates.

My allergy related sinus issues are so bad throughout my life that if the symptoms are anything like sinus symptoms I will never know I had it. No loss of smell/taste but I've battled the typical 3-4 sinus issues over these ten months (neti pot is the only useful tool against it).
I also have had bad sinus issues recently. I netti pot regularly, and have also found breath right strips at night keep the nasal passages open. I did both these for quite a while and improved dramatically.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I also have had bad sinus issues recently. I netti pot regularly, and have also found breath right strips at night keep the nasal passages open. I did both these for quite a while and improved dramatically.

Yeah, I will still take allergy medicine occasionally when it's really bad but fighting it physically with neti/strips/cleaning is far better. Flonase is completely worthless compared to neti, like 1% as effective.