Jok exited the Draft

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Re: Jok Entering Draft

I never said anything proves he hates Fran. I just said there was a lot of smoke out there saying Jok doesn't like Fran and a second collapse in three years doesn't help Fran's image

So a group of guys, who have all been subjected to Fran's ire for 2-3 years, storms out of the gate, then in February remembers how much they don't like their coach and falls apart? Okay.

Fran's got his flaws as coach, but people really overestimate the effect his coaching style has on the upperclassmen by the time they're done.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

So a group of guys, who have all been subjected to Fran's ire for 2-3 years, storms out of the gate, then in February remembers how much they don't like their coach and falls apart? Okay.

Fran's got his flaws as coach, but people really overestimate the effect his coaching style has on the upperclassmen by the time they're done.

Do they storm out of the gate and then in February remember they're not good basketball players or why do you think they collapse?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

I laugh as much about the Fran-con scale as any Cyclone, but I do find it funny that most of us think that Fran's antics hurt his team while Fennelly is just getting the most out of his players when there isn't a huge difference between their style.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Do they storm out of the gate and then in February remember they're not good basketball players or why do you think they collapse?

I think Big Ten teams were able to adjust to what those teams were doing. They figured out how to slow down Uthoff and Jok, and Fran wasn't able to make the right adjustments to counteract that. That's a collapse due to coaching, but not in the way that you're suggesting.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011

I laugh as much about the Fran-con scale as any Cyclone, but I do find it funny that most of us think that Fran's antics hurt his team while Fennelly is just getting the most out of his players when there isn't a huge difference between their style.
I think most of us just don't really care.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I think Big Ten teams were able to adjust to what those teams were doing. They figured out how to slow down Uthoff and Jok, and Fran wasn't able to make the right adjustments to counteract that. That's a collapse due to coaching, but not in the way that you're suggesting.

That would make sense, with the poor coaching in the Big Ten they probably wouldn't figure out how to slow them down until the end of the season. Heck Prohm figured out how to slow down Uthoff during halftime in December!

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008

Fran couldn't close out any important games until a few this year.

We have all seen how much fun on the court ISU upperclassmen have-- playing for ISU.

Had you ever seen Eric May, Gatens, Whitey, McCabe, Marble, Oglesby, Jok, --crack a smile in four years under Mad Fran?

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Fran couldn't close out any important games until a few this year.

We have all seen how much fun on the court ISU upperclassmen have-- playing for ISU.

Had you ever seen Eric May, Gatens, Whitey, McCabe, Marble, Oglesby, Jok, --crack a smile in four years under Mad Fran?

Most of those guys had reputations for being pretty serious in the first place. Marble cracked smiles plenty, and Jok was one of the most emotional guys on the floor for Iowa this year (he would actually react to big plays, unlike almost everyone else besides Baer). May and Gatens were always more the lead-by-example guys. Oglesby rarely had anything to smile about, considering he was historically bad from behind the arc for half of his career.

The fact that ISU players seemed to have more fun doesn't mean Iowa's players were depressed. Hoiberg definitely created a fun environment, and Prohm didn't tinker much with that.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

attachment.php

Woodenbury all giggly about a "big play".

Attachments

• Unknown-33.jpeg
    Unknown-33.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 156

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

If Jok loves Fran so much why the rumors he was disgruntled? Why is Fran struggling so much recruiting lately and pretty much only signing lifelong Hawkeye fans? If you don't think Fran has a somewhat negative public image outside Eastern Iowa you're being niave. His temper and his players playing scared down the stretch doesn't help it either even if that's just him being a bad coach and not making adjustments like you said

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

Well in fairness to Fran, there's not much you can do to adjust when your other starters are Gesell, Clemmons and Woodbury, none of whom can do much of anything offensively and your best bench player is a walk-on.

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

If Jok loves Fran so much why the rumors he was disgruntled? Why is Fran struggling so much recruiting lately and pretty much only signing lifelong Hawkeye fans? If you don't think Fran has a somewhat negative public image outside Eastern Iowa you're being niave. His temper and his players playing scared down the stretch doesn't help it either even if that's just him being a bad coach and not making adjustments like you said

Tyler cook was a life long hawkeye fan?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

It's been pretty solid for a coach trying to get basketball players to commit to a football school.

So Fran is a bad coach who can't make adjustments down the stretch and can't recruit anymore. And Hawk fans wonder why we like him so much

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009

Criticisms of Fran are valid, and many of these discussions take place on the Iowa boards. The real failure of Fran's recruiting was in the 3 years subsequent to the Gesell/Woodbury/Clemmons class. I know, laugh, but Gesell and Woodbury were both top 100/150 guys. 2 of those per year would be very good for Iowa. After that class, he brought it Jok, Uhl, Ellingson, Trey Dickerson, some 6-9 guy I can't remember his name who transferred, Fleming, Hutton, Moss and Wagner. That is not good. Had Uthoff not transferred to Iowa, would look even worse.
Cook was a rather big get for Fran. He's got Weiskamp (top 30) in the 2018 class and his son looks like a top 100-150-ish player. Fran will need to get a Top 100 player with the remaining 2017 schollie and get 1-2 per year or things won't get any better, and almost certainly will get worse.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Criticisms of Fran are valid, and many of these discussions take place on the Iowa boards. The real failure of Fran's recruiting was in the 3 years subsequent to the Gesell/Woodbury/Clemmons class. I know, laugh, but Gesell and Woodbury were both top 100/150 guys. 2 of those per year would be very good for Iowa. After that class, he brought it Jok, Uhl, Ellingson, Trey Dickerson, some 6-9 guy I can't remember his name who transferred, Fleming, Hutton, Moss and Wagner. That is not good. Had Uthoff not transferred to Iowa, would look even worse.
Cook was a rather big get for Fran. He's got Weiskamp (top 30) in the 2018 class and his son looks like a top 100-150-ish player. Fran will need to get a Top 100 player with the remaining 2017 schollie and get 1-2 per year or things won't get any better, and almost certainly will get worse.

This is spot on. Weiskamp is a good one and will most likely be top 75 when it's all said and done. Connor's stock has nosedived since he committed but he still will probably stay in the top 150

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota

So Fran is a bad coach who can't make adjustments down the stretch and can't recruit anymore. And Hawk fans wonder why we like him so much

Who's the better coach? The guy that took a projected NIT team (source: CF) to the second round of the tournament (source: reality).

Or the guy who took a projected final 4 team (CF) to only a sweet 16.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Who's the better coach? The guy that took a projected NIT team (source: CF) to the second round of the tournament (source: reality).

Or the guy who took a projected final 4 team (CF) to only a sweet 16.

I'll go this guy since Fran has never made the Sweet 16 in his career.

On a side note I'm happy you're back on board calling the second round the actual second round and not pretending the play in game was the first round anymore.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron