Jok exited the Draft

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Jeff Goodman:
Iowa's Peter Jok testing the waters and declaring for the draft -- without an agent. Why not?

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Re: Jok Entering Draft

Jeff Goodman:
Iowa's Peter Jok testing the waters and declaring for the draft -- without an agent. Why not?

This tells me he's just doing his due diligence. I believe with an agent you'd be ineligible to play further seasons, but if you do the pre-draft stuff without an agent, you can still come back and play.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA

I fully expect Monte to do this as well. There is zero drawback for the player.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston

I heard about him 'testing the waters' yesterday, when I saw he was 'declaring' for the draft today I thought that was a done deal. Apparently the two are the same thing & he can come back when he realizes nobody wants him then?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

There's literally no reason for borderline players to not do that and at least see if you get invited to the combine.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I fully expect Monte to do this as well. There is zero drawback for the player.

The difference is Monte will get invited to the combine. Not sure how it works to test the waters if you don't get asked to participate

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

It puts yourself out there to get agentized big time. It doesn't take much for a slick agent to convince a poor college kid to go for the dough. If I was a kid that needed to help my family or just wanted to help myself and an agent tells me:

"Hey you could go in the NBA draft there's a lot of teams saying they like you and you'll be living your dream. If it doesn't work out you get on a summer league team and prove to those guys what you and I already know, you're the best, guys do it all the time (insert graphic of guys that have come through the summer leagues to make a team)."

"Worst case scenario I've got contacts all over Europe and you're going to be pulling in minimum 250k US TAX FREE. They have strippers on the buses when you road trip, these teams own their own breweries you'll never pay for a drink. Do that for a year, and I'll be back here stateside making sure every NBA teams know your name and your game and the minute you step foot back on US soil I'll have a guaranteed 3 year deal for you to sign"

"Or, go back to school, tear your acl, do your shoulder, get arrested again, and have fun selling insurance in Des Moines after you graduate. Your call."

If I was 21 with a history of knee injuries that sounds pretty good.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk

There was a rule change about this, so I expect a ton of players to test the waters this year - Monte included.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa

It was basically Marty Tirrell that stirred this all up...surprise! Rather than simply stating that Jok was testing the waters, he basically said Jok was opting out of his senior year and moving on. He also happened to be the first to report it, so that's where his statement got a life of it's own. I honestly don't see a reason for Jok to forego his senior year unless he hates his situation at Iowa that bad.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

I suspect that Jok will be back, but if by chance he isn't.... holy cow. The Hawks were already going to be down, but without Jok, they're looking at a sub-.500 season.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Agreed. But Jok isn't even a borderline player.
I don't think so either but it's probably a matter of opinion, but if he's not borderline now he might be after next season. This is obviously the smart move for him.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover

I say do it, the only downside, for example Monte. Say he goes in and the scouts/teams say we would like to see you prove that you can score more. Then he comes back and next year is jacking shots like BDJ.

Using this just as an example not stating monte cant score etc etc.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames

I say do it, the only downside, for example Monte. Say he goes in and the scouts/teams say we would like to see you prove that you can score more. Then he comes back and next year is jacking shots like BDJ.

Using this just as an example not stating monte cant score etc etc.
y u hate Monte?

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston

I think it's probably a smart move by Jok and I'd expect him to be back next year. He surprisingly stepped up his game this year to be the number 2 guy on the team. Now next year they loose a bunch and he'll be expected to be the go to guy and leader of the team. The whole spotlight will be on him, and if he can learn what the NBA scouts think are his deficiencies then he'd have a chance to improve them in the off-season and showcase during the season.

FWIW, I expect the same out of Monte. He'll have more pieces around him than Jok, but I still think we see a big jump in Monte's game next season. Both will be looking to show they belong in the league, Monte likely to show he's earned a first round spot, Jok to show he can play in the league, maybe as a 2nd round pick, maybe just getting invites to camps and summer leagues.