Johnny Manziel suspended for half

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
According to reports, he was suspended not for a direct violation of any bylaw, but for violating the "spirit" of a certain bylaw. So the NCAA normally justifies its rulings on have very clear, black and white rules, and is now extending their rules to include "but you really should have known better"? What a joke. If you can't pin it on the kid, let him play. If you can pin it on him, go after him.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
I would agree with that - I'd bet that since the NCAA has no subpoena power, and speculate that A&M really didn't cooperate, the NCAA begged the school to give him something...even 1/2 a game. I'd also bet Penn State is kicking themselves for commissioning the Freeh report...

What I would have given to be a fly on the wall in the room that they decided on 1/2 game. Such an odd penalty.
Yeah, this is the weirdest ruling I think I have seen, and they have had some strange ones.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
According to reports, he was suspended not for a direct violation of any bylaw, but for violating the "spirit" of a certain bylaw. So the NCAA normally justifies its rulings on have very clear, black and white rules, and is now extending their rules to include "but you really should have known better"? What a joke. If you can't pin it on the kid, let him play. If you can pin it on him, go after him.

Maybe only half a spirit.

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
Please end the charade. Did anyone really expect something more meaningful?

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
This is incredibly odd - which is only fitting as this entire situation/investigation has been weird. Why punish him at all? I mean, a half of football against a team they should beat by 50? They should already have the 2nd string team in at half.

What coach (other than Rex Ryan) would put his star QB (term used loosely for Jets QBs) and Heisman winner in behind a 2nd string unit?

I guess we'll find out if A&M does that, sits him or keeps the starters in just so Manziel can play.

I don't have it in for this kid, but this suspension is just ******* stupid.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The joke is the NCAA did not do more digging.

But the problem all along has been the fact the NCAA can't subpoena anything of the Nate guy's. He technically isn't an agent, but appears to be more of a strawman. I imagine they funnelled any money through him, knowing the NCAA can't touch him.

So if the NCAA can't subpoena anything or anybody, what exactly would have been the point of digging any further?

In any of these NCAA violation cases where there is no clear evidence or individuals willing to come forward, all the parties involved have to do is to deny any wrong-doing and keep their stories straight between them, and nothing will happen. The NCAA has no power to subpoena documents that could contradict the answers given to the NCAA investigators, and they don't have to power to compel outside individuals to give any statements.

If you look back at things like the SMU death penalty, the Reggie Bush/USC incident, tOSU/Tressel incident, the only reason the NCAA was able to do anything in those cases was because some of the individuals involved talked to the NCAA and gave evidence.

The inability of the NCAA to seriously investigate these things is is never going to change unless something radical happens, like, for example, a federal law being passed that makes the payments to players prohibited by the NCAA rules actually illegal. Perhaps the law would give investigative authority to the NCAA, who could then subpoena witnesses and documents. Another thing that would have to happen would be for the professional sports leagues to institute meaningful bans on players found to have broken the NCAA rules (i.e. a current pro player found to have violated the NCAA rules is immediately banned for a given amount of time, and a college player found to have violated the rules cannot join the professional leagues for a given amount of time).

Neither of these things is likely to ever happen, so the NCAA will continue to run around with potency similar to that of a steer sent out to service the herd...

Last edited:

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I'd also bet Penn State is kicking themselves for commissioning the Freeh report...

Different situation. The issues at Penn State involved matters of criminal law, for which a legal authority could have issued subpoenas for witnesses and evidence. The TAMU/Johnny FB incident didn't involve issues of criminal law (or at least didn't appear to). PSU was just trying to get ahead of the inevitable criminal investigation.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Different situation. The issues at Penn State involved matters of criminal law, for which a legal authority could have issued subpoenas for witnesses and evidence. The TAMU/Johnny FB incident didn't involve issues of criminal law (or at least didn't appear to). PSU was just trying to get ahead of the inevitable criminal investigation.
A "criminal law" investigation is something totally different than the Freeh report, which is why I referenced it. Freeh investigators had no subpoena power; no one testified under oath (so no threat of perjury if lying). Worse, witnesses were allowed to speak anonymously, which would never be allowed in any legal proceeding. Same with the NCAA. I'd bet memorabilia collectors clammed up, and the NCAA was basically powerless.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Not going to read through all the replies......but Lucca Staiger probably got less money from that "pro" team he played for across the pond than Manziel did from the autograph collectors.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
A "criminal law" investigation is something totally different than the Freeh report, which is why I referenced it. Freeh investigators had no subpoena power; no one testified under oath (so no threat of perjury if lying). Worse, witnesses were allowed to speak anonymously, which would never be allowed in any legal proceeding. Same with the NCAA. I'd bet memorabilia collectors clammed up, and the NCAA was basically powerless.

I know that the Freeh report was not a criminal investigation, and I never said it was. My point was that the underlying alleged violation in the PSU case was criminal, where in the Manziel case it wasn't, which is why they are different situations.

Pedophilia/sexual abuse == criminal violation
Signing autographs for money != criminal violation

Last edited:

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Texa$ A&M & $EC

What a joke, he obviously did something wrong since they are suspending him. This is such a disgrace for the NCAA. Penn State players got punished worse than this for something they had absolutely no involvement in. ******* joke.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I thought it was half a season at first, which made me think they had evidence he got paid. But half a game, seriously, against Rice? That's nothing, which since they have no evidence, seems about right.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I would rather have had the NCAA say they can't prove anything and he gets nothing than a joke of a punishment half game suspension.

Essentially the NCAA gave the guy a half game suspension for not really doing anything wrong other than not keeping track of every single signed item after signing it :err:

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Figures that Jiri Hubalek gets 3 games for borrowing an old beat up car from an Iowa booster, CJ Bruton gets a lifetime ban for taking a few thousand in Australia and Lucca gets a season for just playing on a team with people who made money in Europe but Johnny Football gets a half for accepting thousands. But the NCAA is an equal distributor of justice...

You expect more from the NCAA? They waited until after the bowl to suspend the Ohio State guys. How long did Chiz lose Cam Newton for in the season Auburn "won" the national title? How about Reggie Bush? Johnny Football is just dumb enough to sign some autographs for enough money for new rims for his car, but NCAA gets their cash from universities like his that get money from TV. You think TV guys want a diminished product to sell? They can punish A&M and little Johnny after the advertisers pay them for each game he starts.

InCytful

Jun 11, 2010
Omaha, NE
Essentially the NCAA gave the guy a half game suspension for not really doing anything wrong other than not keeping track of every single signed item after signing it :err:

I'm pretty sure he did it, but it doesn't matter as NCAA won't punish the biggest star they have before the season. It's a slap on the wrist. How much will A&M pour it on after he returns just to build his stat line?

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The irony, I can taste it. A&M website selling a picture of Johnny Manziel in the article in which they announce the suspension of Johnny Manziel for signing autographed pictures that would later be sold.

original.png

http://deadspin.com/a-m-website-tries-to-sell-manziel-photos-while-announci-1217672231

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Texa$ A&M & $EC

What a joke, he obviously did something wrong since they are suspending him. This is such a disgrace for the NCAA. Penn State players got punished worse than this for something they had absolutely no involvement in. ******* joke.

It's technically for some NCAA bylaw which kindly requests that players try to stop people from selling their signatures. It's pretty stupid. They should've given him no suspension.