Johnny Manziel suspended for half

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Honest question:

If Manziel did this crap while playing for an upstart program like ISU instead of Texas A&M in the SEC, do you think he would have had the book thrown at him?

I honestly think he would have. The NCAA knows how much it would cost ATM and SEC if Manziel was crucified.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
So the NCAA has officially sanctioned selling autographs as long as you get paid in cash. At some point, we need to stop with this whole needing paper trails and smoking guns. If something smells fishy, it probably is.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for athletes getting "exploited" when they're rolling around in $50,000 automobiles registered to friends and on loan from dealerships.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Honest question:

If Manziel did this crap while playing for an upstart program like ISU instead of Texas A&M in the SEC, do you think he would have had the book thrown at him?
An ISU player would be banished for life and his name removed from any record of him ever playing.

I honestly think he would have. The NCAA knows how much it would cost ATM and SEC if Manziel was crucified.
ISU player would be erased from any record of his playing and put in the witness protection program, never to be heard from again.

Last edited:

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
This makes zero sense. If the NCAA had any credibility left in the college sports universe, they just surrendered it. Either you can prove he signed memorabilia for pay and give him a multi game suspension or you can't and he gets nothing. This reeks of a token punishment in a weak attempt by the NCAA to save face.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I hate Manziel as much as the next guy but I really don't have a problem with this and also don't really care.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"The agreement between the NCAA and Texas A&M closes the book on Manziel's recent issues."

I doubt it!

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
After slapping his wrist, did the NCAA apologize too?

No kidding, muttering under their breath "sorry John, just tell Slive it was the best we could do. Please still make us money hand over fist."

Honest question:

Don't let La Gesse hear you say that.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
I mean, the NCAA admitted he didn't accepted cash or at least they couldn't prove it. Why is he suspended at all?

royhobbs09

Apr 11, 2006
Figures that Jiri Hubalek gets 3 games for borrowing an old beat up car from an Iowa booster, CJ Bruton gets a lifetime ban for taking a few thousand in Australia and Lucca gets a season for just playing on a team with people who made money in Europe but Johnny Football gets a half for accepting thousands. But the NCAA is an equal distributor of justice...

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I mean, the NCAA admitted he didn't accepted cash or at least they couldn't prove it. Why is he suspended at all?

Apparently there is a clause inhibits players signing autographs for "commercial purposes", which I guess then puts the burden on players to ask each person who they are signing an autograph for exactly how they intend to use that autograph.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
No kidding, muttering under their breath "sorry John, just tell Slive it was the best we could do. Please still make us money hand over fist."

Don't let La Gesse hear you say that.

GEESE ARE THE WORST!!!

tumblr_m4t60cjohj1qeel5mo1_500.gif

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Figures that Jiri Hubalek gets 3 games for borrowing an old beat up car from an Iowa booster, CJ Bruton gets a lifetime ban for taking a few thousand in Australia and Lucca gets a season for just playing on a team with people who made money in Europe but Johnny Football gets a half for accepting thousands. But the NCAA is an equal distributor of justice...
Do you know this?

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I must have missed the proof of this...

Hence the cash point. The NCAA has shown that they want absolute proof that money exchanges hands before considering a suspension. It has not been disputed that the autographs were signed. Any reasonable person would conclude that some compensation was given to Johnny or his handler.

So just as long as you tell the NCAA that you didn't take money, they have now shown that they will not punish you.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Apparently there is a clause inhibits players signing autographs for "commercial purposes", which I guess then puts the burden on players to ask each person who they are signing an autograph for exactly how they intend to use that autograph.

So your saying if 24 people sold there autographs obtained at different times from a player, we could get them suspended for a whole season.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Basically I think they are saying that when signing things in bulk like that there is no way it could possibly be for personal use and not to be immediately sold for profit.

When the ISU players sign some stuff at fan fest, they aren't signing hundreds of items for autograph brokers.