Jeremy Hollowell visit

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
I watch a lot of Indiana basketball due to the fact that many of my family members are graduates. My brother gets season tickets every year and fills me in with about all the players every time I attend a game. The season opener of the 2012 season, he pointed at a player and told me, that player is going to be a star, Tom Crean is praising him. He was pointing at Jeremy Hollowell. Unfortunately, Tom Crean doesn't develop talent. Fred Hoiberg would have to invest time into Hollowell to get the most out of him, but I think he is the best transfer left on the list.

bigsexycyclone

Mar 25, 2014
Not sure if it's been said, didn't go through the whole thread but Crean isn't known to get the most out of his players and teams like Hoiberg

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Hmmm an athletic 6'8" forward who can handle the ball and shoot the three? Sign him up now. What's not to love? Tom Crean is not a great coach and I'm not surprised this guy wasn't an all star. For the record, Scott Christopherson averaged one point a game at Marquette, and Korie Lucious averaged 6.5 at MSU before they transferring to ISU. Both of those guys turned out to be pretty good players. Just because a guy doesn't have outrageous stats doesn't mean he can't play.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I enjoyed rooting for Mel over the two one and dones. He was a highly touted recruit under McD. and it was fun to watch him develop. For crying in the bucket... he holds the Big 12 scoring mark. He had a temper but I will remember Mel for being a student athlete. A great representative of Iowa State.

Melvin didn't really develop a temper until his junior year. His freshman and sophomore it was rare for Ejim to show any kind of emotion, hardly ever a smile or anything at least from what I remember he was always so focused. By his junior year I think he got tired of being disrespected and people saying he was nothing more than a role player and he developed a big chip on shoulder especially this past season.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I'm a little concerned with all the transfers. It is starting to feel just a little bit more like Indian Hills rather than ISU. Don't take this wrong but I hope we can start getting more HS folks to commit down the road. I really like the ones we have and hope they become the foundation of the program. Folks like Melvin really get the fan base fired up.

I sorta get this statement. I posted something similar the other day:

I'm all for staying with getting good transfers, but there is something comforting, from a fan standpoint, knowing that a guy like Niang is here to provide a stabilizing force while the transfers acclimate. Relying too much on transfers could have us in a "one-and-done" team mode. Unless you're a team like UK or KU, it's hard to have enough talent to overcome that lack of leadership*. Hell, it's even hard for them to do it.

*admittedly, if we keep getting someone like Kane, the whole leadership argument goes out the window. Also, transfers with 2-3 years left to play give you a different aspect.

I'm not saying that we're ever going to become a team built SOLELY on transfers, but realistically the competition for these players is only going to increase. I don't know how much the blue bloods will attack the transfer market versus the high school recruits, but I imagine that it is only going to get tougher every year to get the transfer that we need as more people copy CFH.

We've done fantastic so far and I have no complaints. I'll always take the best talent and trust Fred. I guess I just need something to worry about today.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Page 5...we have a shot at Ejim and questioning CFH getting all these transfers on one page.

(Grabs popcorn and waits for the SARC to grab their spears and pitchforks)

This is a shot at Ejim??? lol. I'm just going by how I felt. I Love Ejim...

CYphyllis

Jun 22, 2010
It's a low risk, high reward proposition. If he doesn't work out, it's not going to hurt the program with the talent that will be on the roster while he's at ISU and on the flip side if he reaches his potential he could be a major contributor.

CurvedAir

Sep 30, 2012
Kansas City
To the doofuses who don't want or aren't excited about getting this guy, you must not value a 6'8 dude who has one of the purest strokes I've seen. This kid could be an absolute matchup nightmare in our system.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Ha oh i know. You just know how folks get riled up pretty easily.

Hey, should Ejim's jersey get retired? Do we need to recruit more big men or HS kids? And what do people here think about driving drunk?

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I love the college basketball free agency period. Is this how the blue bloods feel year round? Must be nice...

mattyice

Oct 15, 2011
Hey, should Ejim's jersey get retired? Do we need to recruit more big men or HS kids? And what do people here think about driving drunk?

Add Dorsey-Walker "potential" or perceived potential.....and playing minutes.

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
To the doofuses who don't want or aren't excited about getting this guy, you must not value a 6'8 dude who has one of the purest strokes I've seen. This kid could be an absolute matchup nightmare in our system.

That's kind of the way I thought, if Indiana recruited him (Crean isn't that great of a coach) it's still a good traditional basketball school...he has to be pretty darn good. Now, it seems like people are getting way too picky. If he's visiting the school and has mutual interest, Fred will get him to where he needs to be performance wise. It's just nice to see we are going after and getting bigger players, something we've lacked the past couple years.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Hmmm an athletic 6'8" forward who can handle the ball and shoot the three? Sign him up now. What's not to love? Tom Crean is not a great coach and I'm not surprised this guy wasn't an all star. For the record, Scott Christopherson averaged one point a game at Marquette, and Korie Lucious averaged 6.5 at MSU before they transferring to ISU. Both of those guys turned out to be pretty good players. Just because a guy doesn't have outrageous stats doesn't mean he can't play.
His effort, defense, rebounding, attitude, etc.
This is totally different than those or other transfers. Almost all previous transfers produced at their previous schools. The only one that didn't was Booker. Scotty did not play due to injury. Luscious played and produced much more while playing behind a guy like Lucas. When called on, he delivered though.

I get the warning to not blindly look at stats, but that is what you are doing.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
That's kind of the way I thought, if Indiana recruited him (Crean isn't that great of a coach) it's still a good traditional basketball school...he has to be pretty darn good. Now, it seems like people are getting way too picky. If he's visiting the school and has mutual interest, Fred will get him to where he needs to be performance wise. It's just nice to see we are going after and getting bigger players, something we've lacked the past couple years.

That is what is suppose to happen. The best programs are all picky.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron