NFL: Jay Cutler and Bears likely parting ways

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think the perception of Peyton still is that he chokes in big games...last year didn't change that?

Whats really funny is, Tom Brady hasn't won a big game in nearly a decade. He's lost the last few Super Bowl's (as aHeavy, Heavy favorite) he's been to, even a few AFC championships. Heck, he's 0-2 against Eli.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Whats really funny is, Tom Brady hasn't won a big game in nearly a decade. He's lost the last few Super Bowl's (as aHeavy, Heavy favorite) he's been to, even a few AFC championships. Heck, he's 0-2 against Eli.

And Peyton still can't catch him when he has WAY more weapons.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
And Peyton still can't catch him when he has WAY more weapons.

While I don't disagree, the only guy with him who has proven he's a weapon w/o Peyton is Welker. Brady lost the Super Bowl with Welker, Randy Moss and one of the top 3 head coaches of all time. When Brady did win NE had one of the best coaching staffs ever assembled.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I think the perception of Peyton still is that he chokes in big games...last year didn't change that? He did beat the Bears in a Super Bowl but he didn't help his image during the Super Bowl against the Saints.

I think that's a case of giving a QB too much credit or too much blame for the outcome of a game. Manning threw a bad pick six at the end, but he also wasn't part of a defense that couldn't stop Brees, and he also wasn't on the kick return team that was totally unprepared for an onside kick in the second half. (I'm looking at you, Hank Baskett. Nice ******* hands.)

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Agree...in fact, Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl since that organization got caught cheating (by secretly and agains the rules filming of opponent's practices)...correct? Could be a coincidence...

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
While I don't disagree, the only guy with him who has proven he's a weapon w/o Peyton is Welker. Brady lost the Super Bowl with Welker, Randy Moss and one of the top 3 head coaches of all time. When Brady did win NE had one of the best coaching staffs ever assembled.

This... It's not like they Broncos WR/TE core is the best out there (although they're pretty good). Peyton puts them all in positions to exploit defenses. He knows the game so well, it's like having 2 top notch offensive coordinators on your team and one time.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
The Bears made their bed when they fired Lovie, they took the defense for granted and made way too many concessions to keep Cutler. IMO this is just the beginning stages of what will be a complete rebuild job in Chi town.

Huh? Lovie Smith made the playoffs 3 times in 9 years. And once in his last 6 years.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Cutler and Romo are basically the same guy. When they are on, they can look like easily a top 5 QB in the league but when they are off, they are an abomination.

Cutler is just an easy guy for people to dislike because of the way he projects himself. His grumpy disinterested persona is a huge turnoff. If he was either a laid back guy or a rah rah guy, people wouldn't hate him so much

This Cowboys fan's first thought was "is Romo better than him?" Then I thought, no they are the same - Jekyl and Hyde. I don't know about the lockerroom - Romo seems to be liked by his teammates. People are hearing that the Bears don't like/trust Cutler?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
As a Vikings fan it's a constant struggle to manage if I should acknowledge how much Chicago sucks, or how much they are under performing. Hard to choose. Right now it looks like the franchises are headed in opposite directions, even if the Vikings are a little worse this year

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
A Raiders fan buddy of mine went as Jeff George for Halloween one year: George jersey, headset and clipboard - done.

The only difference between him and Cutler is that George was a coach killer - he was the QB for four or five different teams that fired their coach. I believe Cutler is still on just one - Lovie Smith. Or did Shanahan leave before or after Cutler?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Huh? Lovie Smith made the playoffs 3 times in 9 years. And once in his last 6 years.

I think its pretty obvious, the front office assumed the defense wouldn't miss a beat bc under Lovie, even if they weren't winning the defense still played tough. They took that for granted and thought they could simply get an offensive HC and that would cure all their woes. What they did was forsake the defense to attempt to improve the offense. While they still only made the playoffs once in the last 6 years, they also only had ONE losing season during that stretch, Lovie only had a couple his entire time in Chicago. There should be no doubt the franchise is in a worse position now than it was under Lovie.

Hiring Trestman was done purely as a knee jerk reaction to people being critical of the offense. They front office blamed the offensive struggles on Lovie, not Cutler. That was there first mistake.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Rodgers Manning
Luck
Rivers
Wilson
Newton
Brady (questionable right now, depends on season or current play)
Brees

Anyone else clearly a better QB than Cutler?

This is what I think the standing of the QBs are right now

Tier 1: The Elite - Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Brady(wont be here for much longer though)
Tier 2: The Rising/inconsistent - Luck, Rivers, Wilson, Foles, Stafford, Romo, Cutler, Veggieburger, Ryan, Flacco, Dalton, Newton, Smith
Tier 3: The Average - Eli Manning, RG3, Tannehill, Palmer, Orton, Bridgewater, Hoyer

Obviously, I didn't take the time to sort out the 2nd tier or I could have split that one up a lot more than I did. Cutler is probably somewhere from the 7th to the 11th best in the NFL depending on your criteria.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
The only difference between him and Cutler is that George was a coach killer - he was the QB for four or five different teams that fired their coach. I believe Cutler is still on just one - Lovie Smith. Or did Shanahan leave before or after Cutler?

Cutler was in Denver for he coaching change. Played one year under McDaniels, caused a huge **** storm and was traded to Chicago. He may not have run McDaniels out of Denver but he didn't do him any favors.

mcblogerson

Jan 19, 2009
Ohio
I think its pretty obvious, the front office assumed the defense wouldn't miss a beat bc under Lovie, even if they weren't winning the defense still played tough. They took that for granted and thought they could simply get an offensive HC and that would cure all their woes. What they did was forsake the defense to attempt to improve the offense. While they still only made the playoffs once in the last 6 years, they also only had ONE losing season during that stretch, Lovie only had a couple his entire time in Chicago. There should be no doubt the franchise is in a worse position now than it was under Lovie.

Hiring Trestman was done purely as a knee jerk reaction to people being critical of the offense. They front office blamed the offensive struggles on Lovie, not Cutler. That was there first mistake.

The Lovie firing was more a changing of the guard after they fired Jerry Angelo the old GM. Once the new Gm came in, it was pretty much playoffs or bust for Lovie. The defense has had it's time and the anchors of the Lovie D are all too old or gone now. So while the new GM and HC have yet to get the Bears to the playoffs it's only 8 games into their second year of rebuilding an old broken down D. If anyone gets fired after this season it'll be the DC.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Agree...in fact, Brady hasn't won a Super Bowl since that organization got caught cheating (by secretly and agains the rules filming of opponent's practices)...correct? Could be a coincidence...

They were first suspected of cheating in 2001 when they won their first super bowl.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Lovie firing was more a changing of the guard after they fired Jerry Angelo the old GM. Once the new Gm came in, it was pretty much playoffs or bust for Lovie. The defense has had it's time and the anchors of the Lovie D are all too old or gone now. So while the new GM and HC have yet to get the Bears to the playoffs it's only 8 games into their second year of rebuilding an old broken down D. If anyone gets fired after this season it'll be the DC.

Yep, I don't think the front office expected to hire a new coach and have the defense remain at the same level. I think they realized the core of the defense was aging and it was going to decline no matter who was coaching. A typical Lovie Smith offensive team with an average at best defense certainly wasn't going to win much going forward. It made sense to bring in a more offensive minded head coach at that time.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Do the players trust him? Do they believe he is the guy they want if they get the ball in the 4th quarter down 5 points with 2 minutes to go? If we are to believe the writers (which is a total different question) it sounds as if they don't! I don't argue that the Bears defense isn't bad...it is! But if you think a team is going to win consistently with a QB that the rest of the team questions or doesn't like...I just don't see that being something I would want for a team I root for. Stats are one thing...wins are another.

On a different topic regarding the same organization...it seemed like Bear nation was ecstatic when Lovie (supposedly too conservative and boring) was replaced by an offensive genius! Maybe the Bears need to find a HC that fits somewhere in the middle of Lovie and Trestman.

His 12 4th quarter comeback wins and 14 game winning drives as a Bear (per pro-football-reference) would say yes they do.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
Cutler was in Denver for he coaching change. Played one year under McDaniels, caused a huge **** storm and was traded to Chicago. He may not have run McDaniels out of Denver but he didn't do him any favors.

Cutler never played a down for McDaniels. Shanahan was fired and McDaniels was hired. Rumors then surfaced that McDaniels was trying to work a trade to move Cutler and get Matt Cassell from New England. Cutler felt betrayed and demanded to be traded and the rest is history