Jameel McKay

CyBri

Mar 2, 2012
I find this a little crazy. Until i see otherwise Niang is easily our best player next year. Other teams just can't stop the guy.

Nader will be the best player on the floor next year, no way he doesn't start. Honestly if we want our best lineup starting McKay should also be out there... The odd man out would have to be Hogue or maybe even as crazy as it sounds Niang... But it will likely come down to Hogue or McKay for that last spot even though Niang is easily the least talented of the group.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Think McDermott ever comes on these boards wondering where these threads were when he was coaching?

20isu00

Sep 1, 2013
I don't know how good anyone is that's sitting on our bench thus year but if they are so good that Niang doesn't start next year we win the national title and it won't even be close.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nader will be the best player on the floor next year, no way he doesn't start. Honestly if we want our best lineup starting McKay should also be out there... The odd man out would have to be Hogue or maybe even as crazy as it sounds Niang... But it will likely come down to Hogue or McKay for that last spot even though Niang is easily the least talented of the group.

Literally Lol'd. McKay won't start, he'll play starter minutes but he won't start. You may be right, having the 4 guys wyou mentioned might be our best lineup but Fred has an NBA mentality. Just bc its your best lineup doesn't mean it has to be out there when the game starts. When a coach like Fred has 8 or 9 guys at his disposal, who starts is pretty meaningless bc he is going to get guys in when they need to be. Niang is the best returning known commodity we have and will be our only preseason all conference type of player, not to mention a 2 year starter.

I've seen McKay play in person a handful of times, with the way he plays, hes no threat o Georges.Niang will still be the only post up mismatch type of guy we have next year McKay will our best athlete and gives a highlight dunk a night but his game is much more like Hogue offensively than Niang.

The good thing is, McKay and Hogue played at Indian Hills, they are used to playing in a 10 man rotation and coming off the bench. Not starting won't bother either of these kids.

MyLifeAsADog

Oct 30, 2013
Kid has one terrible game and people start throwing him under the bus, he's won several games down the stretch for us this year with clutch basket after clutch basket.
He's had 3 horrible games in a row, not sure what the hell you're watching.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
[/B]
Literally Lol'd. McKay won't start, he'll play starter minutes but he won't start. You may be right, having the 4 guys wyou mentioned might be our best lineup but Fred has an NBA mentality. Just bc its your best lineup doesn't mean it has to be out there when the game starts. When a coach like Fred has 8 or 9 guys at his disposal, who starts is pretty meaningless bc he is going to get guys in when they need to be. Niang is the best returning known commodity we have and will be our only preseason all conference type of player, not to mention a 2 year starter.

I've seen McKay play in person a handful of times, with the way he plays, hes no threat o Georges.Niang will still be the only post up mismatch type of guy we have next year McKay will our best athlete and gives a highlight dunk a night but his game is much more like Hogue offensively than Niang.

The good thing is, McKay and Hogue played at Indian Hills, they are used to playing in a 10 man rotation and coming off the bench. Not starting won't bother either of these kids.

You know this how?

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
He's had 3 horrible games in a row, not sure what the hell you're watching.

Dog's don't know much about basketball I take it.

@Oklahoma 7-12 from the floor, 14 pts 6 rebounds 3 assists
Baylor 4-10 from the floor, 9 pts 3 rebounds 5 assists.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Why do I keep hearing Nader may be the best player on the team. I saw him in the CCL and thought he was very good, but he didn't seem to stick out all that much from the others. With that said, I realize that league is more conducive for guards to showcase what they have. Anyway, are people hearing things about Nader from practice or is it one of those things where one person said and now everyone keeps repeating. Any insights on this or how good he really is?

I think the Nader stuff is becoming similar to the way Chris Allen was viewed after Lutz said something to the effect that he was the most talented guard he had ever coached and all of a sudden people expected him to be an 18-20 ppg scorer. Allen didn't turn out to be the best player on that team.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I never understood why we weren't in the running for Doug McDermot. Did he not like ISU? He doesn't want to play for his dad and then he does?

His dad knew he wasn't going to stay here for 5-6 more years and he didn't want to be fired from coaching his son.

I firmly believe that if Barnes had committed here and the ''09-'10 team had been successful that Doug would have switched to come here.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
You know this how?

The type of player he is, the type of players we have at his position. I guess maybe saying he WON"T start is going out on a limb but I'll say he won't start over Hogue or Niang bc neither have a postion really, they are just 2 of the 5 guys that start. How well Nader can handle the ball could dictate a lot, if he can play the 1 or 2, then maybe all those guys start. Like i said, it doesn't matter who starts though. This team will be loaded. I think having Long or Morris and McKay coming off the bench would be lethal next season.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I think the Nader stuff is becoming similar to the way Chris Allen was viewed after Lutz said something to the effect that he was the most talented guard he had ever coached and all of a sudden people expected him to be an 18-20 ppg scorer. Allen didn't turn out to be the best player on that team.

Hope this isn't the case. I had way too high of expectations for Allen. After seeing Nader play some in CCL I do think he will be perfect in Fred's system though

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Please elaborate on how going 7-12 from the field for 14 points, 5 rebounds and 3 assists (his OU game) is "horrible".

Some Cyclone "fans" are really really dumb.

I think (hope) they were referring to Niang's 3-point shooting over the past 3 games (he's gone 0/15).

Still, big deal. He's in a bit of a shooting slump behind the arc, which happens to virtually every single player regardless of their talent. The next time he drains 2-3, everyone will forget all about it.

I'll let Fred do the coaching if he thinks this is a problem.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I like that McKay thinks Nader is the hardest working player on the team. And I like that McKay thinks not playing is the hardest thing for him. Both of these things help these guys maximize their time while sitting out. I can't wait to see them in action next year for us.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
If McKay gets his waiver that he probably will, he should be starting.

don't see how he gets a waiver. Chose to leave Marquette after enrolling. Not the NCAA's fault he didn't realize what he was getting into there.