Jameel McKay

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Maybe I should have said least physically talented.

But what is he so great at exactly?
It would be easier to list what he is not great at. He needs to improve his defense and rebounding. Georges is the very talented offensively.

I know you are one to buy into redshirt hype and optimism. That is great, but I'd stop short of using that to downgrade current guys who have to play KU on short rest. No doubt Nadar is good at scoring in on-on-one situations on iso's in practice, which often falsely gets morphed into best player on the team rumors. How are his defense, rebounding, shot selection, passing, etc? Can he be a big part of our offense without "needing the ball" like Hogue? He will need to be better at those things than he was at NIU before he beats out Hogue or Georges.

Last edited:

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
If McKay gets his waiver that he probably will, he should be starting.

That certainly gives him a better chance. If he does get that waiver (I don't think he will, he had no reason to leave other than bball) he could play the 4 and everyone could slide up a position with Thomas going to the bench.

If we landed Vaughn, that would be very interesting. I'd guess McKay comes off the bench in that case.

Nobody complained when Niang shot 50+% in Hawaii. And as far as how to judge talent, don't forget Niang blew up in his recruiting and Kentucky even went after him. He would start on every team in the nation IMO. Completely unique and incredibly useful skillset that makes him a matchup nightmare.

Last edited:

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Morris
Thomas unless we get Vaughn
Nader
Niang
McKay

Personally I prefer high energy guys like Hogue to come off the bench. But if McKay doesn't get that Waiver, he will likely at least start out coming off the bench.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Morris
Thomas unless we get Vaughn
Nader
Niang
McKay

Personally I prefer high energy guys like Hogue to come off the bench. But if McKay doesn't get that Waiver, he will likely at least start out coming off the bench.

That's the 2nd most likely scenario IMO and you could definitely be right. And I agree on the waiver part as well.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Great handle for a post player, 3pt shooting, creating space in the post where there is none, making contested shots, avoiding shotblockers, finishing in creative ways, reading pick and roll, extremely talented passer, great leader, elite spin move, swiss army knife of post moves, ability to finish with both hands, unstoppable hook shot with either hand, court vision....

Off the top of my head.

Excellent examples.

Sure, high-talent players in that position-range could possibly overshadow some of Niang's strengths and squeeze minutes, but that's dealing with possibilities of incoming players vs. what we actually have seen in action at ISU.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Morris
(Vaughn/Thomas)
Nader
Hogue
Niang

McKay will have to start off the bench as he won't even play till conference season starts.

This. IF McKay ends up starting, it won't be until a few games into conference at the very earliest.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Why do I keep hearing Nader may be the best player on the team. I saw him in the CCL and thought he was very good, but he didn't seem to stick out all that much from the others. With that said, I realize that league is more conducive for guards to showcase what they have. Anyway, are people hearing things about Nader from practice or is it one of those things where one person said and now everyone keeps repeating. Any insights on this or how good he really is?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Niang is not the least talented of the group. In fact, he is more talented because of his limited athletic ability. He's averaging 15 per game as a Sophomore. Those other three still have a lot to prove.

Exactly. Niang causes too many mismatches for the other team. If McKay does not get a waiver and the team gels really well in pre-conference, Fred may not want to mess with team chemistry and may have McKay coming off the bench. Plus, it will take McKay a few games to adjust to Div. One Big XII play.

Nader being the best player on the team confirms what I have heard about him. He is skilled enough to play the 2 if Fred wants to go big.

Last edited:

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Would be great if that all didn't just come in flashes. Or if he focused more on his strengths rather than trying to be our 3 pt star.

Having him shoot the three to bring out the other team's bigs is part of Fred's strategy. He was executing the game plan vs. Kansas, the shots just didn't fall for anyone that night. If you don't like the strategy, then that is a criticism of Fred. I seem to recall it worked like a charm last year at Lawrence.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
McKay
Niang
Nader
Vaughn
Morris

That would be ideal for me. Hogue brings instant energy off the bench and Thomas hopefully is improved and adds instant offense with solid defense...

This is my thoughts too. Nader is for real and people will see it first hand next year.

DreamyFred21

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2012
Grimes
Sometimes the posts on here amaze me. Niang has a chance to be our first 2,000 point scorer since the '80s and he's not talented?? Good grief just cause he can't jump out of the gym doesn't mean he isn't good! I recall a Larry Bird that made a decent career by being a smart, versatile player. (Not making a comparison just an example that proves athleticism isn't the only part of the equation)

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
"Not athletic" is LOL-worthy.

Not as athletic as some people playing the game but uber-athletic compared to, well, the rest of the world.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Why do I keep hearing Nader may be the best player on the team. I saw him in the CCL and thought he was very good, but he didn't seem to stick out all that much from the others. With that said, I realize that league is more conducive for guards to showcase what they have. Anyway, are people hearing things about Nader from practice or is it one of those things where one person said and now everyone keeps repeating. Any insights on this or how good he really is?

I don't have any insight, but there is no way he's the best player on the team. That honor goes to Kane.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Stop feeding the troll, you can't fix stupid.

If we get Vaughn then I think Fred tells the NCAA we're just going to start 6 players and they can deal with it because I have no idea who is going to get benched.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
This is just personal opinion, but here it is: While some players have a considerable amount of hype surrounding them, it is based on their play in their current situation. The players that shine in high school, Jucos, or mid-majors tend to be big fish in little ponds (particularly at the high school level). Expecting them to come into one of the big six conferences, begin at the starter level and expect them to put up the same numbers as they did in their previous situation is unrealistic (again, particularly going from high school straight to college).

They are facing an entirely different level of competition, they are facing much greater media and fan expectations, and it's pretty darn hard to live up to all the hype, particularly for the younger players. That can be pretty hard on a young psyche. Additionally, for the ones straight out of high school, they are facing hard bodies that are generally more physically mature and have had access to trainers and strength and conditioning that is mostly not available at the high school level. Many times, they also find out that they are no longer the best player on their OWN team, let alone on the court or in the conference.

You'll always find exceptions to the norm, but I think that when we are comparing Georges to some of the newcomers (or potential newcomers), there is a lot to be said for experience with the opponents and level of play.

Again...just my opinion. No statistics to back it up, just many years of observation.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
This is just personal opinion, but here it is: While some players have a considerable amount of hype surrounding them, it is based on their play in their current situation. The players that shine in high school, Jucos, or mid-majors tend to be big fish in little ponds (particularly at the high school level). Expecting them to come into one of the big six conferences, begin at the starter level and expect them to put up the same numbers as they did in their previous situation is unrealistic (again, particularly going from high school straight to college).

They are facing an entirely different level of competition, they are facing much greater media and fan expectations, and it's pretty darn hard to live up to all the hype, particularly for the younger players. That can be pretty hard on a young psyche. Additionally, for the ones straight out of high school, they are facing hard bodies that are generally more physically mature and have had access to trainers and strength and conditioning that is mostly not available at the high school level. Many times, they also find out that they are no longer the best player on their OWN team, let alone on the court or in the conference.

You'll always find exceptions to the norm, but I think that when we are comparing Georges to some of the newcomers (or potential newcomers), there is a lot to be said for experience with the opponents and level of play.

Again...just my opinion. No statistics to back it up, just many many many years of observation.

FIFY :plaugh:

20isu00

Sep 1, 2013
Nader will be the best player on the floor next year, no way he doesn't start. Honestly if we want our best lineup starting McKay should also be out there... The odd man out would have to be Hogue or maybe even as crazy as it sounds Niang... But it will likely come down to Hogue or McKay for that last spot even though Niang is easily the least talented of the group.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
"Not athletic" is LOL-worthy.

Not as athletic as some people playing the game but uber-athletic compared to, well, the rest of the world.

When people say that they aren't comparing him to Joe Couch Potato. He's not athletic when compared to other college basketball players. He is, however, in the top few percent when it comes to skill.