Jameel McKay

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I think (hope) they were referring to Niang's 3-point shooting over the past 3 games (he's gone 0/15).

Still, big deal. He's in a bit of a shooting slump behind the arc, which happens to virtually every single player regardless of their talent. The next time he drains 2-3, everyone will forget all about it.

I'll let Fred do the coaching if he thinks this is a problem.

Slumps are rough...a few of his looks were great shots. Feet under him, ball just didn't go in. Have to shoot your way out of a slump.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Why do I keep hearing Nader may be the best player on the team. I saw him in the CCL and thought he was very good, but he didn't seem to stick out all that much from the others. With that said, I realize that league is more conducive for guards to showcase what they have. Anyway, are people hearing things about Nader from practice or is it one of those things where one person said and now everyone keeps repeating. Any insights on this or how good he really is?

Most likely because there seems to be like 3 posters on here (RustShack being one) who keep repeating "Nader is the best guy on this team" over and over.

I'm not saying he isn't; I have no idea. But I was wondering the same thing and can't figure out where else it is coming from. This quote from McKay is about the most "official" thing I've heard. I don't think I would have ever had that notion if it wasn't for frequenting this forum.

MyLifeAsADog

Oct 30, 2013
@Twins I do know a lot about basketball. I would agree, I mispoke. I thought he looked lost and slow in the Oklahome game, had much better stats than I thought. The Baylor game which I watched in person he didnt even look like himself and the KU game, well we all know how that game went. So I stand corrected. Hes had two horrible games out of the last 3.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
@Twins I do know a lot about basketball. I would agree, I mispoke. I thought he looked lost and slow in the Oklahome game, had much better stats than I thought. The Baylor game which I watched in person he didnt even look like himself and the KU game, well we all know how that game went. So I stand corrected. Hes had two horrible games out of the last 3.

I don't think he was horrible against Baylor at all. He missed some shots but I thought passed the ball very well.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
He's not athletic when compared to other college basketball players. He is, however, in the top few percent when it comes to skill.

The best word association to describe Niang is that he is a technician rather than athletic.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
When people say that they aren't comparing him to Joe Couch Potato. He's not athletic when compared to other college basketball players. He is, however, in the top few percent when it comes to skill.

This.
On an athletic test, an above average athlete would win probably rather easily. But his basketball IQ is through the roof. Very skilled and very smart player. There isn't shame in admitting that. If he was as athletic as say Hogue, the kid would be a lottery pick in this years draft.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
If any of you think Hogue won't start after averaging a double double and leading the big 12 in rebounding, you are dumb

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The best word association to describe Niang is that he is a technician rather than athletic.

While Niang has all sorts of technical precision, I would still use the term athletic because of how well he uses his body. It is not like he sits in the corner and does nothing but take the one shot he knows how to make. Rather, he is constantly doing new things in the game according to the situation.

20isu00

Sep 1, 2013
I know most people are talking vertical leap, quickness, speed, etc when referring to someone that is athletic, but body control and coordination are also a part of it and Niang is very good at both. He does obviously need to hit some threes though, as does the entire team.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
If any of you think Hogue won't start after averaging a double double and leading the big 12 in rebounding, you are dumb

He no longer averages a double double :)
But I am inclined to agree with you. My concern is shooting. If Nader has a better shot than Hogue, we might need him out there. That is a big handycap on this team right now is outside shooting. Morris is okay from deep, Naz/Thomas are good shooters but struggle getting open looks, Vaughn would be good if we land him. Niang is streaky so that leaves who ever plays the other 2 spots. One of them has to be a decent threat from deep. Hogue isn't a terrible shooter, but he certainly isn't a great shooter. If McKay plays the 5, I would think Nader has to play the 3, but maybe Nader plays the 4 and Hogue plays the 3 with McKay coming off the bench when he qualifies.
I agree with many that it's a great problem to have.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Hope this isn't the case. I had way too high of expectations for Allen. After seeing Nader play some in CCL I do think he will be perfect in Fred's system though

I think Nader will be a very nice addition next year, but we have guys currently averaging 17/7/6, 18/7, 12/9, 15/4/3. The bar for being the best player on the team is set extremely high.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I know most people are talking vertical leap, quickness, speed, etc when referring to someone that is athletic, but body control and coordination are also a part of it and Niang is very good at both. He does obviously need to hit some threes though, as does the entire team.
Every highschool has an "athletic test" That test consists of speed, quickness, vertical leap, agility and hand/eye coordination. Just watching him move, it doesn't take a genius to realize he would not do that well in that test, but he is a very skilled basketball player. I don't understand peoples hesitation to admit that.

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Next year will be interesting to see how they use McKay and Nader. I can see either starting along side Niang and Hogue. Great front court again for ISU.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

If he does this then I totally agree. Rebounding is inarguably one of the most important stats in basketball.