Jameel McKay

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
How many 15-17 foot shots do we take as a team in an average game? I think it is surprisingly low. We focus on 3s and shots near the hoop.

Look at a shot chart and review the missed and made shots for different areas. The 15-17' range is not a good shot. Some could argue that it's because players don't develop that shot and some would argue that it's not developed because it's not a "good" shot.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Taking "Bad" shots was put into the game a few years back.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
That's 4 bigs and 1 guard.

I doubt we'll see that lineup much next year. There are 3 spots for the 4 bigs, that's plenty of minutes for each of them.

Think you could easily run with that lineup though. and It would cause all kinds of fits for opposing teams.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
This will make some of you angry or something but I could see Nader starting instead of George. If you think of next year's team, you need to replace two of your three best rebounders. I think McKay has to start and I think Hogue has to start. Niang is what he is as far as rebounding and that's not good. So, if Nader is going to start, unless he's a great rebounder (which he might be, I don't know) I think it could be in that spot. I just don't see how you can keep Hogue and McKay out of the lineup when you are losing Ejim and Kane. Morris and Thomas aren't going to replace that rebounding.

I have to agree on the rebounding thing. Any lineup Fred puts out there is going to be able to score based on the players and their skillsets but I think the lineup that rebounds the best is ultimately going to get the most time on the floor. For me in the 3-5 spots, you have Hogue, Niang and McKay (once eligible). On the offensive end, you have a dynamic do everything guy in McKay, a good post scorer with handles in Niang and a Garbage man in Hogue.

If you switch out Nader for Hogue, I think we will have a glut of perimeter scorers and no one to crash boards and pick up the garbage like Ejim and Hogue do so well at. Just my perception of the situation. I don't honestly think that the 5 best scorers or athletes or even players set the starting 5 but the 5 players who can accomplish the goal of our system. For me that is Morris, Thomas/Long/Vaughn, Hogue, Niang, McKay.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Correct. Fred doesn't like long jumpers, he wants baskets around the rim or 3's and he has said so in his post game interviews. He has also said that long 2 pointers are the lowest percentage shot and that is what they want to force opposing teams to shoot.

Agree. Also, Niang is generally shorter than the other team's post players who are guarding Niang. He shoots the 3 because most post players have difficulty guarding the 3-pt line. When Niang drives, he spins into the defender which makes it much more difficult to block the shot vs. Niang shooting a mid-range jumper.

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
Also keep in mind, Fred's system is based off of mismatches. If he plays Hogue, Niang and McKay, then the opposing teams bigs who will likely be guarding Niang and McKay except in zone based situations will be pushed to the perimeter and Hogues defender will be sucked into the post with him.

If those three things happen on the offensive end for ISU, we continue to be a very versatile and dangerous team that scores at will until we stop ourselves from scoring (see last 2 games).

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I generally agree with the thought that a long 2 is the lowest percentage shot when you look at points per attempt. However, I disagree when you are talking about the end of the shot clock. You should avoid settling for a long 2 early on the shot clock, however when you get to the end of the shot clock a wide open mid range jumper might be a better shot than a highly contested three or a forced shot in the lane in a lot of traffic.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron