Jameel McKay

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
He's taking some time to answer questions from fans and for those who don't have twitter I'll summarize it for those interested.

Q: How often do you shoot the 3?
A: I'll shoot them as long as its accepted. It's been the biggest improvement in my game.

Q: Are you looking to put on some weight for next year? How much?
A: Yes and 15-20 pounds.

Q: When is the earliest you can play?
A: Hopefully right away

Q: What is your biggest strength?
A: my overall versatility.

Q: Who is the hardest worker on the team and who's impressed you the most in practice?
A: Abdel Nader

Q: Why did you choose ISU?
A: Best situation to get me to the NBA

Q: Are you more dominant on offense or defense?
A: I am a 2 way player.

Q: How hard is it not being able to go out there and help Iowa State?
A: Probably the hardest thing of my life.

Q: What NBA player would you compare yourself too?
A: I don't really know, I can just say that I am skilled.

Q: Hoiberg loves having forwards who can handle the ball and it even bring it up the court. Wll you be a rebound it and bring it up yourself type of player (coast to coast)
A: You will see that ! Been working hard on it.

It's nothing groundbreaking just some things in the point of view of McKay. If he gets that waiver to play right away that will be HUGE.

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As of January 1, I think our lineup will be:

McKay
Hogue
Niang
Thomas
Morris

This of course is not factoring in anyone Fred will be bringing in off the recruiting trail. Say he brings in Vaughn, we could have a starting 5 of
McKay
Hogue
Niang
Vaughn
Morris

First guys off the bench: Nader, Thomas, Long, SDW, Custer...not too shabby

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Nader will be the best player on the floor next year, no way he doesn't start. Honestly if we want our best lineup starting McKay should also be out there... The odd man out would have to be Hogue or maybe even as crazy as it sounds Niang... But it will likely come down to Hogue or McKay for that last spot even though Niang is easily the least talented of the group.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
McKay
Niang
Nader
Vaughn
Morris

That would be ideal for me. Hogue brings instant energy off the bench and Thomas hopefully is improved and adds instant offense with solid defense...

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Nader will be the best player on the floor next year, no way he doesn't start. Honestly if we want our best lineup starting McKay should also be out there... The odd man out would have to be Hogue or maybe even as crazy as it sounds Niang... But it will likely come down to Hogue or McKay for that last spot even though Niang is easily the least talented of the group.
Niang is not the least talented of the group. In fact, he is more talented because of his limited athletic ability. He's averaging 15 per game as a Sophomore. Those other three still have a lot to prove.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Niang is not the least talented of the group. In fact, he is more talented because of his limited athletic ability. He's averaging 15 per game as a Sophomore. Those other three still have a lot to prove.
You mean thery can not just walk on the court like Wiggins?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Maybe I should have said least physically talented.

But what is he so great at exactly?

Great handle for a post player, 3pt shooting, creating space in the post where there is none, making contested shots, avoiding shotblockers, finishing in creative ways, reading pick and roll, extremely talented passer, great leader, elite spin move, swiss army knife of post moves, ability to finish with both hands, unstoppable hook shot with either hand, court vision....

Off the top of my head.

Niang will be our best player next year, and there is no question about that IMO. If we get Vaughn it is no guarantee that he starts off that hot or completely ready for D1 ball. He would obviously be more talented when it comes to NBA prospects but Niang is built for the college game and if you told me we had to lose Niang to get Vaughn I would choose Niang.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycsk

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Are you serious?

Yes. What makes him so much better than the other four? Just the fact he's playing this year?

Don't worry I'm ready for everyone to tear me a new one, got it for saying Houge is a better rebounder than Ejim too.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Maybe I should have said least physically talented.

But what is he so great at exactly?

Kid has one terrible game and people start throwing him under the bus, he's won several games down the stretch for us this year with clutch basket after clutch basket.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Great handle for a post player, 3pt shooting, creating space in the post where there is none, making contested shots, avoiding shotblockers, finishing in creative ways, reading pick and roll, extremely talented passer, great leader, elite spin move, swiss army knife of post moves, ability to finish with both hands, unstoppable hook shot with either hand, court vision....

Off the top of my head.

Would be great if that all didn't just come in flashes. Or if he focused more on his strengths rather than trying to be our 3 pt star.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I said he's starting next year, but I'm not going to kid myself and think he's the best player on a very talented team.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I said he's starting next year, but I'm not going to kid myself and think he's the best player on a very talented team.

The fact that you even suggested he sit or that you needed to be told what he was good at is outrageous.

I forgot to mention he is by far the most clutch player we have on our team. He finished out Michigan, Iowa, and BYU in a major way. I think the starting lineup next year is actually a no brainer....

Morris
(Vaughn/Thomas)
Nader
Hogue
Niang

McKay will have to start off the bench as he won't even play till conference season starts.

Last edited:
Reactions: swarthmoreCY