ISU Athletics: No More Spin

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I can't claim to know enough about what is going on internally in the athletic department to know if Pollard should go or not, but somebody needs to take a close look and find out what is going on.

Right now I wouldn't really care if he was let go, but I'm not calling for his head yet.

Right. One or two events can be explained away. But this rash of coach and player departures is just silly.

And I know at least one former player that is no fan of Pollard's. Generally, I couldn't care less about what players think of the AD. But when you look at coaches leaving too and not many results in the win column, these things add up.

JP needs to look at himself and the rest of the administration to correct this issue. Otherwise, we'll be looking for a new AD in a year or two and that will be one ugly search - who in the hell would want the job with almost 100% rebuilding needing to be done, a large overhead of facilities needing to be paid for and a puny budget to do it?

No, I don't want to see what would happen. We need Pollard to get this right.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
JP needs to look at himself and the rest of the administration to correct this issue. Otherwise, we'll be looking for a new AD in a year or two and that will be one ugly search.

You'd better inform Geoffrey of these "issues" then, as he called him "the best athletic director in the nation" just over four months ago...

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The last few years have been both exciting (new hires, upgraded facilities) but also very, very frustrating (loses, player/coach departures).

In the last few years, we've replaced our FB coach twice and now our wrestling coach twice. Many already want us to replace our MBB coach for the 2nd time as well (and it will become a reality if wins don't come in the next couple years).

We lost a top-notch basketball player that left town "in the middle of the night" without so much as a good-bye, a FB coach that many thought would be the savior to the program but did very little but lie to fans/players/assistants. A number of other basketball players. And now, not only what many believe to be a great wrestling coach, but a ISU alum like no other before him.

All of these people chose to leave ISU prematurely - most without a "thanks for the memories" or a care of the program they left behind.

We're still trying to get this football program back to its mediocre level from earlier this decade and hopefully someday, beyond that. MBB is nearing an all-time low for ISU and the near future (and perhaps long-term) seems to hing directly on one player staying for his 3rd season and/or another local player deciding to remain in his hometown or depart for a more storied program. Wrestling won't fall off the map, but losing Cael is a far bigger blow than anything else suffered to date, IMO. At least from a fan and alum perspective...a guy many thought would retire here.

You can try to tell me ISU athletics is in good shape all ya want, but this data and the mounting losses prove otherwise And these new facilities have to be paid for somehow. I just hope there are enough fans willing to stick around and foot the bill.

Have never agreed with a post more than this one!

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I guess Cael leaving has to be just for the money. What else can it be? Still it is hard to accept.

He has all of his wrestlers back for next year, plus a number of redshirts from last year, and a very good incoming class. He was at the time one of the highest if not the highest paid coach in the country. He was at a school recognized nationally for its wrestling program. It was his alma mater. The fans loved him.

Maybe the fact that an improvement in the wrestling practice facilities was a part of the original remodeling plan for Hilton, which I guess has now been shelved. Or were there other conflicts with Pollard? Just seems like there must be something more than money to make Cael make this move.

The state of ISU Athletics is not good. Your two major revenue producing sports are two of the worst programs in the country. You have success with WBB, but from what I have heard the coach there is no fan of the AD. You have success with Volleyball, but how long will this coach stay with continued success? You had an up and coming women's gymnastics program, but that coach left due to supposed conflicts with the AD. The Athletic Department takes over Hilton.......does anyone know what the effect has been on their revenues? Shouldn't that information be shared publicly? It appears non-athletic events there are now non-existent. It will be very interesting to see how this year's athletic budget fared. Guess that won't be known until July or August.

Count me as one who is not impressed with Mr. Pollard. I was hopeful at first, but I don't see the improvement in Athletics at ISU that some apparently do.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
And seeing as how Christy Johnson is one of the top coaches in the nation, she probably won't be around much longer either.

If the Neb. VB coaching position ever opens she's gone. ISU dropped Baseball, I say we give wrestling the axe. We will always be Iowa's *****.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
What is this "rash" of coaching departures of which you speak? Are you speaking of voluntary departures? Do you pin GC on JP? I don't.

All his terminations were generally supported by the fan base.

candg4ever

Oct 29, 2006
Nevada, IA
I can envision all the Kool-Aid drinkers reading this and throwing up their guts...

The great Jamie Leaving?....Surely you must be smoking dope to even entertain such heresy!!!

Be rest assured that "the little book keeper" will talk his way out of this one and tell all the Kool-Aid drinkers how bright the future is!

:no:Thanks for not disappointing me!! I knew when I heard the news about Cael, that it would take a nanosecond for somebody to start screaming for JP's head and/or job. The mess that BVD left set ISU athletics back at least a decade, and Jamie knew what he was getting into when he came. Thank goodness he's got thick skin so he can handle all the bull____ that's being hurled in his direction every time something goes amiss. There are no quick fixes and setbacks like this will just reinforce his resolve to make ISU one of the best athletic schools in the country.

I really don't see how anyone can put the blame on JP for getting stabbed in the back not once, but twice by two guys he gave head coaching starts to. What a way to say thank you!!! If you're gonna badmouth someone, badmouth the traitors who've left, not the guy who's still here giving his all to make us better!!!:confused:

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Good lord.

First off, yes, we've lost Chizik and Sanderson.

Chizik would have been a freaking idiot to turn down Auburn. How in the world can you blame JP for that? Is it somehow his fault that he couldn't pay millions to keep him here (if he arguably even wanted to).

And if Sanderson is leaving for a salary THAT much higher than what he was making, how can you blame him for that either?

It's not like people are leaving ISU for crap jobs that pay half as much, they are making rather large steps up to leave.

As far as players leaving, who knows the motivations behind that, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that it has anything to do with the AD. It's much more likely they don't like something about the coaching staff or think they can do better elsewhere.

I know it's been a rough few months for ISU, but placing the blame on the AD for things he really can't control is rather pointless and misses the bigger issue - that with ISU's revenue situation, if someone comes-a-knockin' with a big checkbook, we have a good chance at loosing our coaches simply because the opportunity cost for them is too great to pass up the offer.

As for success on the field/court, what do you expect him to do? Go Jerry Jones on all the coaches? The guy is a manager - and I'd argue a pretty good one. He is letting his coaches coach. JP doesn't line up at left guard and take on Nebraska. He doesn't even coach the kid who lines up at left guard. Nor does he supervise (directly) the coach who coaches the kid who lines up at left guard. No, he has to hire and fire the people who he thinks will be the best for the athletic department.

The athletic department IS healthy. As healthy as it has been in quite some time. All of those calling for his head would do well to sit back, look at the facts as we know them, and ask yourself what you would do differently?

johnstoncy

Oct 18, 2006
Johnston
www.rtsports.com
Good lord.

Chizik would have been a freaking idiot to turn down Auburn. How in the world can you blame JP for that? Is it somehow his fault that he couldn't pay millions to keep him here (if he arguably even wanted to).

And if Sanderson is leaving for a salary THAT much higher than what he was making, how can you blame him for that either?

It's not like people are leaving ISU for crap jobs that pay half as much, they are making rather large steps up to leave.

As far as players leaving, who knows the motivations behind that, but it's HIGHLY unlikely that it has anything to do with the AD. It's much more likely they don't like something about the coaching staff or think they can do better elsewhere.

I know it's been a rough few months for ISU, but placing the blame on the AD for things he really can't control is rather pointless and misses the bigger issue - that with ISU's revenue situation, if someone comes-a-knockin' with a big checkbook, we have a good chance at loosing our coaches simply because the opportunity cost for them is too great to pass up the offer.

As for success on the field/court, what do you expect him to do? Go Jerry Jones on all the coaches? The guy is a manager - and I'd argue a pretty good one. He is letting his coaches coach. JP doesn't line up at left guard and take on Nebraska. He doesn't even coach the kid who lines up at left guard. Nor does he supervise (directly) the coach who coaches the kid who lines up at left guard. No, he has to hire and fire the people who he thinks will be the best for the athletic department.

The athletic department IS healthy. As healthy as it has been in quite some time. All of those calling for his head would do well to sit back, look at the facts as we know them, and ask yourself what you would do differently?

+1

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
The last few years have been both exciting (new hires, upgraded facilities) but also very, very frustrating (loses, player/coach departures).

In the last few years, we've replaced our FB coach twice and now our wrestling coach twice. Many already want us to replace our MBB coach for the 2nd time as well (and it will become a reality if wins don't come in the next couple years).

We lost a top-notch basketball player that left town "in the middle of the night" without so much as a good-bye, a FB coach that many thought would be the savior to the program but did very little but lie to fans/players/assistants. A number of other basketball players. And now, not only what many believe to be a great wrestling coach, but a ISU alum like no other before him.

Thanks for being so positive 22. I love ya man, but you don't win the war that way.

All of these people chose to leave ISU prematurely - most without a "thanks for the memories" or a care of the program they left behind.

We're still trying to get this football program back to its mediocre level from earlier this decade and hopefully someday, beyond that. MBB is nearing an all-time low for ISU and the near future (and perhaps long-term) seems to hing directly on one player staying for his 3rd season and/or another local player deciding to remain in his hometown or depart for a more storied program. Wrestling won't fall off the map, but losing Cael is a far bigger blow than anything else suffered to date, IMO. At least from a fan and alum perspective...a guy many thought would retire here.

You can try to tell me ISU athletics is in good shape all ya want, but this data and the mounting losses prove otherwise And these new facilities have to be paid for somehow. I just hope there are enough fans willing to stick around and foot the bill.

Thanks for being so positive 22. I love ya man, but this is not how you win the war.

Reactions: Angie

MilehighClone

Sep 14, 2007
Clearly somothing is amiss in the AD. My worst fear going forward is a severing of the fan base between pro/con JP, which is something we can not afford to have happen. Our best attribute is our loyalty and passion for ISU, but divided we have nothing(think Abe Lincoln). Since JP is our leader and AD, he must step up to the plate in an open/honest forthright manner, assume resonsibility and make the changes necessary in his management/leadership skills to steady the ship. If he refuses, than it's time for him to move on. Enough is enough.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Good lord.

Exactly. Hindsight sure is 20/20, isn't it? I know for a fact that most of the people whining about Chizik and Cael now were some of the biggest champions of the hires a few years ago - and there were very few of us on here who were vocally sad to see Mac go.

JP has hired coaches (all of his first three hires) who were being sought after by much bigger, more successful schools than ISU - coaches on their way up. The problem with hiring a coach who is on his/her way up is that they are going to eventually take that next step - for more money, more success, whatever. That happened with each of these guys - Chizik went home for more money and a much greater chance at winning early. Wow, hard call to make. The Penn State numbers for Cael being thrown around are grossly more than he makes here - also not real tough. Does it suck now? Obviously. Nobody was complaining two and three years ago, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: jumbopackage

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
We finished 2nd, 5th and 3rd in the nation the last 3 years with Cael, and noone outside of Ames or ISU alumni would even know about it. We get nothing from wrestling other than bragging rights and trophies. no money, no national exposure.

I enjoy watching ISU wrestling, but we had a fine program before Cael, im sure we will have one after.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron