Is KU a rival?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Well a lot of Kansas fans picked ISU to dethrone them, that has to count for something. Most wins there, most conference titles, with Mizzou gone, if we're not a rival they don't have one.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
ISU/KU basketball and ISU/NU football is apples to oranges, IMO.

We're much closer to having KU as a basketball rival. Go read their message boards. They HATE coming to Hilton. They constantly rip our fans for booing. They refer to Ames as the "Land of 'Boo'". They don't like us. They consider us beneath them, as they should, but we're solidly on their radar. We have more wins in Phog than anyone else. We're second to them in Big 12 conference titles. After Phog Allen, Hilton would almost unanimously be considered the toughest arena in the conference.

Nebraska barely knew ISU existed and couldn't muster much feeling either way.

I wouldn't call ISU/KU basketball a real rivalry, but its far closer than ISU/NU football ever was.

Good post. Maybe a coupla more years of CFH and it'll be a real rivalry :yes:

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
A rivalry takes two to tango. We aren't rivals with Kansas in anything. The "rivalry" with Nebraska in football was also a Cyclone fan only "rivalry."

You're right about Nebraska, but I think you're way off about Kansas/Iowa State in basketball.

We might not hate them like we do Iowa, and they might be a powerhouse unlike any other team in the conference, but every year the KU-ISU series is usually pretty close, and a win either way is never guaranteed.

Jayhawk fans talk all the time about how hard it's been for even their toughest teams to come into Hilton and walk out with a win. We say the same about the Phog but we play better there than a lot of other teams do.

As Johnny Orr liked to remind everyone, Danny Manning never won a game in Hilton. We damn near swept them last year, and we were picked to finish eighth. I'd say we're a closer rival than you think.

Last edited:

Cyfan322

Mar 31, 2006
Ames
A rivalry takes two to tango. We aren't rivals with Kansas in anything. The "rivalry" with Nebraska in football was also a Cyclone fan only "rivalry."

If a rivalry takes two to tango then would you consider Iowa our rival in football during the 80s and 90s?

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
If you had KU fans list their basketball rivals, I'm not sure many would even have Iowa State in the top five.

Im not saying you're wrong on this, but who would be ahead of us? Missouri can't be considered a rival if they don't play anymore. Next up is Purple Kansas, then maybe Texas based on Big 12 titles, but then who?....you're telling me Iowa State isn't one of their top rivals?

Help Support Us

Become a patron