Is KU a rival?

clone136

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2006
Des Moines
I know many consider them a rival in basketball, but do we have the same feelings in football? For some reason I have always dislike KU more than a lot of other schools in the conference probably stems back to 05 or their arrogant fan base. Do any of you consider them more than just a normal conference rival?

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Definitely a rival in basketball we're the only team that can win in the Phog. I'm glad we're back.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
In FB, have we ever been decent at the same time as KU? It seems to me that our teams' success is converse, we're good when they're not, and they're good when we're not. Something about that tells me we must keep the wheat-wavers down!

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
A rivalry takes two to tango. We aren't rivals with Kansas in anything. The "rivalry" with Nebraska in football was also a Cyclone fan only "rivalry."

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
If the clones spoil their fun in hoops a few years in a row they will start to get angry. Angry fanbase in hoops will spill over into football if KU every starts caring about football.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
A rivalry takes two to tango. We aren't rivals with Kansas in anything. The "rivalry" with Nebraska in football was also a Cyclone fan only "rivalry."

Yeah, I don't feel like we have any real football "rivals". We have real rivalries in other sports, but not football.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, I don't feel like we have any real football "rivals". We have real rivalries in other sports, but not football.

You don't think the Iowa/ISU football game is a rivalry?

That's a rivalry in any imaginable sense. Just because a few message board Jihadist fringers say its not a rivalry doesn't make it so.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

ISU/KU basketball and ISU/NU football is apples to oranges, IMO.

We're much closer to having KU as a basketball rival. Go read their message boards. They HATE coming to Hilton. They constantly rip our fans for booing. They refer to Ames as the "Land of 'Boo'". They don't like us. They consider us beneath them, as they should, but we're solidly on their radar. We have more wins in Phog than anyone else. We're second to them in Big 12 conference titles. After Phog Allen, Hilton would almost unanimously be considered the toughest arena in the conference.

Nebraska barely knew ISU existed and couldn't muster much feeling either way.

I wouldn't call ISU/KU basketball a real rivalry, but its far closer than ISU/NU football ever was.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

That's a rivalry in any imaginable sense. Just because a few message board Jihadist fringers say its not a rivalry doesn't make it so.

I was talking about conference opponents.

Nothingman

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 31, 2006

Judoka probably forgot about Iowa. It's getting easier and easier to do. Or meant that we don't have any conference rivals.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I don't think KU considers us a basketball rival. I know we all have good feelings about the direction of our program today, but for all the talk of wins at the Phog or conference titles, that stuff is 10+ years ago. We are going to need to go in there and beat them a couple times and at least push them for a conference title or two before we can get back to the point of talking about this as a rivalry.

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
I for one hope we take a dump on our "rival" this weekend like we are supposed to. Blow them out and get to 6 wins guys. Get 7 next week. (That's a good year)

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
If you had KU fans list their basketball rivals, I'm not sure many would even have Iowa State in the top five.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
IMO we have 12 "rivals" a year in football, on gameday both teams hate each other and want to win

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
If you had KU fans list their basketball rivals, I'm not sure many would even have Iowa State in the top five.

Mizzou
Texas
K-State (which I doubt any would list until their recent success under Martin)
?
?