jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
25k was always a silly amount, should have started small for the first game and seen how fans handled it.
How would you decide who gets tickets and who don’t, if they increase capacity, when they’ve already stated that there won’t be any single game ticket sales?

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
Good call, in the end. The best way to get the most football is to keep the number of people in the stadium on gameday to a minimum. The best way to get the whole season shut down is to have a game be a super-spreader event.

A huge part of college football is the fan atmosphere, but let's be honest, you're not going to get that even from a stadium 40% full and socially distanced.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Here’s
How would you decide who gets tickets and who don’t, if they increase capacity, when they’ve already stated that there won’t be any single game ticket sales?

What are you talking about. Just assign games to everyone.

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
It blows that they caved. Changing It due to recent Covid data is one thing but to change it based off community feedback is whole different thing. The offended/worried are always going to be the loudest. I think they caved to the minority opinion.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
There are a lot of people that are ******** about schools going full remote or hybrid. Think about Ames parents who have to start full remote. Now maybe they can go back sooner.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Don’t know, but jumping it with both feet was clearly not the play.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Wintersteen made today's decision, correcting Pollard's mistake.
And i hope, like everything, folks provide grace to all involved. This isn't her being "anti-Jamie" or anything....just a crappy situation to navigate (beyond just sports).

This is so complex, too. This could have been a big "we got this" moment...or could have been a big "the state of Iowa has cases all over as folks from around iowa came and went back to their communities" Just stinks for everyone.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It blows that they caved. Changing It due to recent Covid data is one thing but to change it based off community feedback is whole different thing. The offended/worried are always going to be the loudest. I think they caved to the minority opinion.

They caved to what was the correct opinion, at least. In my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: Cy$

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
There are a lot of people that are ******** about schools going full remote or hybrid. Think about Ames parents who have to start full remote. Now maybe they can go back sooner.

I said in another comment, but even this stuff just stinks....Ames is full remote due to rates of positive tests (using a metrix)...but kids can't do sports during full remote...yep, stinks....but we need to work toward "Greater good" vs "get mine" in so many areas.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Stuff changes on a daily basis when it comes to COVID. I'm glad they're being flexible instead of stubborn. Who knows, maybe things change again and we have 15k on gameday.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'm not disappointed that we aren't having fans, but I do think this makes the university look stupid.

If public reaction drove this decision, how out of touch do you have to be to not realize that there was going to be an incredible amount of blowback to the 25K in the stands deal?

When they made that announcement on Monday, anyone with a pulse should have known that there would be massive public backlash. If a negative reaction was what was going to prevent you from having fans, why not just go no fan from the get-go? This looks a lot like the Big 10.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Agreed. The COVID data isn't really any different today than Monday. It was and still is bad.

They should have known they would be heavily criticized for allowing 25K. When you roll that plan out, you should be ready to accept that criticism. And if you don't want to face that criticism, don't green light a plan for 25K fans.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron