Iowa dominating in state recruiting

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I'll take 85.73 average rating if that is "not great" and a down year.

2015 was 82.37 and 2016 was 82.49
Rating has really changed in an upwardly direction the past 5 years. Probably most relevant to look at ranking.

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
I'm not sure whether former Cyclone and Lo-Ma great Matt Straight is still their head coach. Here is the 2024 Number 1 recruit from that DMR article:

1. Grant Brix, OT, Logan-Magnolia​

Previous ranking: 2

Height/weight: 6-foot-6, 280 pounds

Offers: Alabama, Auburn, Boston College, Duke, Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Miami, Michigan State, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Ole Miss, Oklahoma, Oregon, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Stanford, Tennessee, Wisconsin

A relentless protector on the line. Makes pushing defenders a few yards look easy. Brings natural instincts to the game and, somehow, has room to grow.
This kid will never see the field in the SEC,B1G or B12. Glad we’re not in his top 4.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Last year Iowa State got 4 of the top 7 recruits in the state of Iowa and 5 of the top 11. Iowa got 1 in the top 7 and 2 in the top 11. All 5 of Iowa State's recruits in the top 11 were from central Iowa.

This year, the rankings are dominated by kids in the eastern part of the state. According to 247, many of those kids didn't visit anywhere but Iowa.
yeah, without digging into it too much, i think the state recruiting has generally been about 60/40 with a lean towards iowa. This is one year. nothing to worry too much about.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
I hope this series ends...at least every year. I've grown somewhat angry at our inability to compete against them. We've had good teams. Just play like dog crap when we play them. Basketball is about as irritating. We've played with little fire or passion when coached by Prohm. I'm hoping Otz will light a fire under their ass for when they play the Hawkeyes from here on out.
rivalries are what make sports great. if this were 2001 you would probably say "I love this rivalry, why would we ever end it?"

when we lose all these great games with loads of history and passion, we will lose what makes college sports great. and we will lose. money is slowly chipping away at everything we love about college football and what sets it apart from the pros. In 5-10 years, cfb will look just like the nfl and i'll probably lose interest.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I don’t think it matters much beyond bragging rights. A lot
Recruiting this year has been down all the way around, not just in Iowa. I’m hoping the last two classes (which have been really good!) shine cause it doesn’t look like there will be a ton of contributors from this year’s class (I could be wrong).

I don’t think we need to beat Iowa in in-state recruiting every year, we just need to be competitive with them. Which we have been in the CMC era, excluding 2021 and this year.
Don’t think it really matters except for bragging rights. In general the state is not talent rich and it’s really just a bunch of self styled evaluators rating one three star guy slightly ahead of another three star guy.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
Iowa has been the better recruiter of the state for a long time. This is nothing new.

What we need to focus on is the post Ferentz era. We need to be building relationships with high schools coaches so that if Iowa's next coach gets off to a rough start, we can be the destination of choice for Iowa High Schools players. This also means that we need to be a consistent winner, in that 6-9 win a season category. This is why tis season is important, because we need to have a winning season to show that we reloaded as opposed to being a losing program.
A winning season with the schedule rated as number 3 in difficulty nationally? I just don't see it.
Sorry, same 'ol 4-8 as I see it! And I am having trouble finding the four wins!

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Focus on Kansas State. They're actually in the same conference as us and actually win conference titles, play in big bowl games and advance in the NCAA tournament. They're also a much more similar school to us than Iowa.

Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Folks talking about selling "playing against the big boys" - in the new Big 10, Iowa will only play OSU/UM/PSU once every 8 or so years. So most players will only get one shot at them. And half of those won't be in the 'Shoe, the Big House or Happy Valley.

Instead they'll play at midnight either in empty LA stadiums or in the rain in Seattle.

Autzen Stadium would be cool, but the Ducks aren't what they once were.

But you might see both coasts during your career!

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
I don’t ******* care if we get a single player from Iowa. Just win. Of all the players Campbell had recruited who are really memorable (think nfl) all are from out of state.
I think that is sort of the point. We don’t get the good players from Iowa. There are a lot of Iowa natives in the NFL. They just didn’t go to Iowa State.

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I think that is sort of the point. We don’t get the good players from Iowa. There are a lot of Iowa natives in the NFL. They just didn’t go to Iowa State.
Didn't we just get a bunch of good players from Iowa in the 23 class? Kohl, Patton, Black, Sama, among others. I don't know much about the upcoming classes, sounds like Iowa is in a better place with the top prospects but that's not uncommon.

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
Didn't we just get a bunch of good players from Iowa in the 23 class? Kohl, Patton, Black, Sama, among others. I don't know much about the upcoming classes, sounds like Iowa is in a better place with the top prospects but that's not uncommon.
Iowa will get Thomas Meyer and Nick Brooks. But we'll probably get Xzavion Robinson(if he stays in state), Curvey, and Manske if we offer.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I don’t ******* care if we get a single player from Iowa. Just win. Of all the players Campbell had recruited who are really memorable (think nfl) all are from out of state.
Memorable…meh…it’s the behind the scenes/in the trenches ones that just get the job done that I like. Hummel, Vance, Downing, Peterson, etc…

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
Still don’t care.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron