Iowa dominating in state recruiting

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Iowa State has had some good years and a few great seasons, but here is the turning point on when ISU could have really put things together to actually dominate.

Iowa State, in Earle Bruce's last three seasons of 1976, 77 and 78, went a combined 24-11 finishing second in the Big 8 in 77 and third in 78 when Nebraska and Oklahoma were the nation's elite teams.

Iowa State, and some of the blame goes to the Board of Regents as well, then p*ssed down their legs in hiring Donnie Duncan to replace Bruce as head coach instead of going after a big time coach.

That horrible hiring was followed by another horrible hire in Jim Criner. Jim Walden wasn't too bad, but the damage was done under Criner when scholarships were taken from Iowa State due to some NCAA violations.

The reason I bring all this up is that had Iowa State gone after a coach like Fry at that time, I think Iowa State would have been the dominate team in the state during the 20 years Fry lead Iowa, Speculation on my part? Sure. But Iowa was a horrible program in much worse shape than Iowa State ever was.

So since that time, high schoolers in this state have only known Iowa as the top college team in the state and thus that is why Iowa wins the recruiting battle. Iowa State had the chance to switch that around, but f*cked it up (and again, I blame the Board of Regents a little for that. No way were they ever going to let ISU hire a coach like Fry. They were upset that Bruce was doing so well.)

ISU had their chances of being "Iowa". They blew it.
And as I’ve always said, if only Woody Hayes hadn’t punched that Clemson player …

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
And as I’ve always said, if only Woody Hayes hadn’t punched that Clemson player …
I feel like the program would have tanked anyway. In an era where many non traditional powers started directing resources toward football, including Iowa, our administration was doing the opposite. I'm not sure any couch would have been able to win here then.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
Plus they probably play one of the weakest schedules about every year! You know Ferentz has only played Ohio State 10 times since he’s been Iowa’s head coach! Only has beat them twice! Has only played Michigan 13 times in his 24 seasons! He’s going to miss Barta!

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think that is sort of the point. We don’t get the good players from Iowa. There are a lot of Iowa natives in the NFL. They just didn’t go to Iowa State.
ISU hasn't put many athletes into the NFL over the last 20 years. The last 2-3 years we have seen that start to change. So I feel the lack of ISU NFL players is historically a development shortcoming vs. not getting the best Iowa kids.

IMO getting our share of IA HS football players is important, but the reality is there MIGHT be ten Big10/Big12 recruitable players in Iowa each year. So to be successful, recruiting out-of-state kids is the key to being competitive for both schools.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
I hope this series ends...at least every year. I've grown somewhat angry at our inability to compete against them. We've had good teams. Just play like dog crap when we play them. Basketball is about as irritating. We've played with little fire or passion when coached by Prohm. I'm hoping Otz will light a fire under their ass for when they play the Hawkeyes from here on out.
Didn't we beat them last year? Must have missed something. Worst ISU team I can remember beat them at home. Inability to compete? What are you talking about?

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Hey Mr OP, I'm getting tired of reading "Iowa dominating instate recruiting" every time I come to this message board.

How about changing your title to something like one of the following?

"Iowa State dominating instate QB recruiting"

"Kirk subscribes to Fran's recruitment philosophy"

"Iowa dominating instate 3 star recruiting"

"Iowa State dominating Iowa in out-of-state recruiting"

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Hey Mr OP, I'm getting tired of reading "Iowa dominating instate recruiting" every time I come to this message board.

How about changing your title to something like one of the following?

"Iowa State dominating instate QB recruiting"

"Kirk subscribes to Fran's recruitment philosophy"

"Iowa dominating instate 3 star recruiting"

"Iowa State dominating Iowa in out-of-state recruiting"

Kirk was recruiting Iowa hard well before Fran got there and it was Hayden who had that going and then turning out so many guys to the pros from Iowa is definitely not Fran style.
Is ISU dominating out of state recruiting?

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Kirk was recruiting Iowa hard well before Fran got there and it was Hayden who had that going and then turning out so many guys to the pros from Iowa is definitely not Fran style.
Is ISU dominating out of state recruiting?
It was posted as a joke, but if you really want to debate, the fact that Kirk recruited Iowa hard well before Fran arrived doesn't negate the fact that he subscribes to Fran's philosophy.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I feel like the program would have tanked anyway. In an era where many non traditional powers started directing resources toward football, including Iowa, our administration was doing the opposite. I'm not sure any couch would have been able to win here then.

Earle Bruce had it going. Redshirted pretty much entire freshman class his last year. Donnie Duncan was a terrible coach. Drove the program down. Then left. Jim Criner hired. And now you know the rest of the story.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Earle Bruce had it going. Redshirted pretty much entire freshman class his last year. Donnie Duncan was a terrible coach. Drove the program down. Then left. Jim Criner hired. And now you know the rest of the story.

Both were bad but both still got a winning season out of ISU which was better than any season in the 90s.

Repeating but if there were as many bowls around in the 1980s, that decade would be looked upon much more fondly.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I hope this series ends...at least every year. I've grown somewhat angry at our inability to compete against them. We've had good teams. Just play like dog crap when we play them. Basketball is about as irritating. We've played with little fire or passion when coached by Prohm. I'm hoping Otz will light a fire under their ass for when they play the Hawkeyes from here on out.

Didn’t we win last year?

Jeffrey Scott

Sep 28, 2017
I know that was a long time ago and far away, but there is a lot to this. It's a long time to hold onto this and it's not our only reason for stumbling along, but man, that did hurt. We've had other notables on our coaching staff like Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carrol, and of course Johnny Majors. I think Jackie Sherrill spent some time in Ames, too. I'm still of a mind that if it could be done in Manhattan, Kansas, why couldn't that happen in Ames? That's the big question for m

If we could consistently win and not have to rebuild every 10 years, things would get better. Unfortunately for me I may never see that, while those who are a lot closer to their graduation years may have the opportunity.

Craig4IState

Oct 7, 2017
You can't out conservative the most conservative coach in the state and win. But we try to do it every freaking yr.
100%. Running up the middle against a top interior lineman even with David Montgomery didn’t work without superior O line play.

Why recruit athletes of you aren’t going to use them? Move them around and don’t play their game. They are fantastic at winning games under 20 points. Make it a shoot out. Only 2 games I can think of where we out-field goaled them and won. And head to head they’ve always had better kickers…. so bad odds(“pardon” the pun). Play loosey goosey and see what happens. Can’t do much worse than 1-6? Or maybe we can find a way???

Reactions: NWICY

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Plus they probably play one of the weakest schedules about every year! You know Ferentz has only played Ohio State 10 times since he’s been Iowa’s head coach! Only has beat them twice! Has only played Michigan 13 times in his 24 seasons! He’s going to miss Barta!
That’s going to change after this year. No more divisions and more formidable foes will see the Hoks struggling to make a minor bowl every year. Won’t be met with much happiness from the Walmart fanbase.

• Optimistic
  • Haha
Reactions: tomar1 and huntt26

tavrncy

Mar 29, 2023
Iowa winning the in state battles is just going to be a fact of life more often than not, they've always emphasized it more, the staff has deeper connections around the state, it's a bigger brand, and the way the completely dominate the eastern part of the state is something ISU can't really replicate.

Throw in NIL and realignment causing a widening resource gap and it's going to be an uphill climb for ISU same as it ever was. Hitting a down period on the field the last couple years while those other two things took hold was unfortunate timing for ISU and we're seeing that right now. Thankfully the conference seems to be stable now and should be one where it's possible to be upwardly mobile, without any program who should obviously dominate year after year. That gives him another window if they scout and develop the way they've shown they're capable of, and if they have success on the field they've shown they can at least make the recruiting gap a little closer. Ferentz eventually moving on should give them a chance to make up some ground too depending on how Iowa replaces him (and assuming Campbell hasn't moved on by then).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Iowa winning the in state battles is just going to be a fact of life more often than not, they've always emphasized it more, the staff has deeper connections around the state, it's a bigger brand, and the way the completely dominate the eastern part of the state is something ISU can't really replicate.

Throw in NIL and realignment causing a widening resource gap and it's going to be an uphill climb for ISU same as it ever was. Hitting a down period on the field the last couple years while those other two things took hold was unfortunate timing for ISU and we're seeing that right now. Thankfully the conference seems to be stable now and should be one where it's possible to be upwardly mobile, without any program who should obviously dominate year after year. That gives him another window if they scout and develop the way they've shown they're capable of, and if they have success on the field they've shown they can at least make the recruiting gap a little closer. Ferentz eventually moving on show give them a chance to make up some ground too depending on how Iowa replaces him (and assuming Campbell hasn't moved on by then).
You point out some very important factors.

1. Recruiting is all about relationships, and since the EIU staff has been there pretty much intact for 25 years, many on the staff have a long history with the coaches in the high school ranks here in Iowa. They have visited and met the coach, which goes a long way towards getting the kid interested in the school. ISU has struggled in that regard, every time there is coaching change, a new staff is brought in, and they have rebuilt those ties all over again.

2. It sucks for ISU but most of the better players have been from the eastern part of the state, and which makes it closer to EIU than Ames. Des Moines for the most part seems like a neutral recruiting area, this in an area where ISU should be doing well in, but we just aren't. Look at the highly ranked kids from SE Polk the past couple of years, neither went to ISU. Kids from schools like Solon, Winfield and other schools in the eastern part of Iowa are not coming to Ames if they have an offer from EIU.

3. Winning is important, the pillow soft Big Easy West conference has allowed EIU to rack up successful win totals over the past decade, which is helped out by the fact that more often than not, they have missed playing Ohio State, and Michigan. Lots of Rutgers and Maryland games on the EIU schedule. They also beat ISU 5 or 6 times in a row.

ISU will get another opportunity to change things during the next coaching change at EIU in the next few years, but we have to start winning at a high level for it to make a difference in the minds of high school kids.

Reactions: Remo Gaggi

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
You point out some very important factors.

1. Recruiting is all about relationships, and since the EIU staff has been there pretty much intact for 25 years, many on the staff have a long history with the coaches in the high school ranks here in Iowa. They have visited and met the coach, which goes a long way towards getting the kid interested in the school. ISU has struggled in that regard, every time there is coaching change, a new staff is brought in, and they have rebuilt those ties all over again.

2. It sucks for ISU but most of the better players have been from the eastern part of the state, and which makes it closer to EIU than Ames. Des Moines for the most part seems like a neutral recruiting area, this in an area where ISU should be doing well in, but we just aren't. Look at the highly ranked kids from SE Polk the past couple of years, neither went to ISU. Kids from schools like Solon, Winfield and other schools in the eastern part of Iowa are not coming to Ames if they have an offer from EIU.

3. Winning is important, the pillow soft Big Easy West conference has allowed EIU to rack up successful win totals over the past decade, which is helped out by the fact that more often than not, they have missed playing Ohio State, and Michigan. Lots of Rutgers and Maryland games on the EIU schedule. They also beat ISU 5 or 6 times in a row.

ISU will get another opportunity to change things during the next coaching change at EIU in the next few years, but we have to start winning at a high level for it to make a difference in the minds of high school kids.
One other factor that I haven't seen mention (haven't read the entire thread) is the impact of having all their games on WHO Radio had in the decades before every game was on TV. Entire generations grew up in the fields listening to the Hawks. The effort to try to pull in ISU games and listen through the static was torture in rural Iowa.