Impossible Burger

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Tried it in taco salad. Ok, but definitely had an after taste. Why do people think it is healthier? Its pretty processed so probably less healthy than actual meat As for the vegan thing I was given the wrong teeth to eat all vegetables or all meat I think I'll stick with a healthy balance of meat and vegetables.

• Agree
Reactions: ArgentCy

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
And the plants need certain nutrients from the soil to produce it's protein structure. Could it be possible that the ground from which these plants grow might be fertilized with animal waste? Especially soybeans, the staple of vegan diets?
Soybeans also can form a relationship with bacteria to get nitrogen from the air. Generally, soy gets 40-60% of their nitrogen from these microbes. Rest comes from soil and can that nitrogen could be from recycled dead plants/microbes, mineral fertilizer, rain, or manure (like you said).

The annoying thing with soybeans is that manure application can make the nitrogen producing bacteria "lazy". The reason this is a problem is that the soybean is still paying their rent and feeding them, spending energy on those deadbeats instead of yield.

Sometimes we see yield increases with manured soybeans, but that could be due to other nutrients like, phosphorus, potassium, or sulfur.

• Agree
Reactions: CYEATHAWK

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Soybeans also can form a relationship with bacteria to get nitrogen from the air. Generally, soy gets 40-60% of their nitrogen from these microbes. Rest comes from soil and can that nitrogen could be from recycled dead plants/microbes, mineral fertilizer, rain, or manure (like you said).

The annoying thing with soybeans is that manure application can make the nitrogen producing bacteria "lazy". The reason this is a problem is that the soybean is still paying their rent and feeding them, spending energy on those deadbeats instead of yield.

Sometimes we see yield increases with manured soybeans, but that could be due to other nutrients like, phosphorus, potassium, or sulfur.

And I think manure is rich in all those minerals you credited for higher yields. Well, maybe not sulfur so much. So it's not a clear cut either/or. And the basis for my earlier post is simply that most "true" vegans probably don't know what their food source is being fertilized with. Not that it's a bad thing......it's not. But trying to cold turkey from anything animal isn't as easy as one would think.

• Agree
Reactions: JeanValette

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
What I don’t get is if you are a vegetarian or vegan and don’t like to eat animals etc why do people care for a fake burger that looks and is similar to meat ?

I'd say it is one of two reasons...or maybe a combo:

1) culturally most people have grown up around meat, so this is "normal" desired consistency and flavor one has grown up with and thus desires.

2) humans, by their nature, were born to eat meat and thus for evolutionary reasons the characteristics found in meat are the most satisfying to us

The old nature vs nurture.

JeanValette

Feb 15, 2016
Minnesota
And I think manure is rich in all those minerals you credited for higher yields. Well, maybe not sulfur so much. So it's not a clear cut either/or. And the basis for my earlier post is simply that most "true" vegans probably don't know what their food source is being fertilized with. Not that it's a bad thing......it's not. But trying to cold turkey from anything animal isn't as easy as one would think.
You're right, probably not sulfur in many cases. A long term manured field would have a higher organic matter that could provide enough S. Micronutrients too could be important.

Animals have a place in agriculture for sure. There are many places in the world where the landscape is better for pasture rather than commodities. Ruminants can take inedible material and make it available for us. But we have to be clear eyed that many animals are part of a very leaky nutrient system in the developed world, especially if they are fed from corn and soy.

Really sucks that corn/soy make meat taste better, if it was grass that did maybe we'd see less nitrate issues.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Not in the vegetarian crowd, so after hearing the IB is not any healthier, is 'close' in taste/texture to the product it's designed to replace, and is more expensive-- it's a hard pass for me.
I'll keep buying the real stuff- Fareway's Own hamburger.

• Agree
Reactions: farm85

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I can certainly see why heart disease is the number one killer.

There appears to be a link to red meat and heart disease, so that's one reason to eat this over a regular burger. Surprising how ignorant people are on this.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...-daily-triples-heart-disease-related-chemical

“These findings reinforce current dietary recommendations that encourage all ages to follow a heart-healthy eating plan that limits red meat,” says nutrition researcher Dr. Charlotte Pratt, the NHLBI project officer for the study. “This means eating a variety of foods, including more vegetables, fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy foods, and plant-based protein sources such as beans and peas.”

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I can certainly see why heart disease is the number one killer.

There appears to be a link to red meat and heart disease, so that's one reason to eat this over a regular burger. Surprising how ignorant people are on this.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih...-daily-triples-heart-disease-related-chemical

So basically add variety to your diet. We are paying people to tell us that? It would be interesting to see however for those on the red meat diet how much whole grains, beans, peas, fruit, vegetables and low fat dairy they were allowed to consume along with the red meat. You can do both. It's not an either/or. And three times higher than what? What is the baseline? Is it the people eating the fish and white meat? Because if the people eating the fish and white meat diet chances for getting heart disease are 5%.......then the red meat people is what, 15%? So call me ignorant......I'll continue to take my chances at dinner a few times a week with a juicy bbq burger/steak along with a side of legumes, whole grain roll, some grapes and berries, greens, sweet corn and 1% milk.

Oh by the way.............veggie burgers are very good. Tried them......like them. Doesn't mean I'll stop eating the red meat version. You can do both, it's not a crime.

Last edited:

TOFB4ISU

Nov 6, 2010
The QC
I try not to 'trick' myself thinking this is meat. Accept you are eating something different rather than worrying this doesn't taste exactly like beef.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Growing up 30 years ago, I thought people always said "McDonalds doesn't have real hamburgers, they're mostly soybeans"?

Also- not all people eat vegetarian for health reasons. Some vegetarians don't eat all that healthy, they just are against the killing of animals.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This whole thread has that '90s era low-fat-diet coke-margarine-trans fat-splenda-white bread-skim milk-meal substitute-esque feel to it. I can't say definitively there's nothing wrong with growing meat in a lab, but we thought all of those aforementioned things were healthy 20-30 years ago and it turned out they really weren't. And the more research that comes out, the worse those foods are looking.

They lack micro-nutrients and even if they taste the same, your body can tell the difference.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Tried it in taco salad. Ok, but definitely had an after taste. Why do people think it is healthier? Its pretty processed so probably less healthy than actual meat As for the vegan thing I was given the wrong teeth to eat all vegetables or all meat I think I'll stick with a healthy balance of meat and vegetables.

This seems like the worst of both worlds to me. If you want to eat healthy veggies then eat healthy veggies. If you want to eat some meat then go ahead. But what on earth on you eating in this thing? Hard pass.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
This seems like the worst of both worlds to me. If you want to eat healthy veggies then eat healthy veggies. If you want to eat some meat then go ahead. But what on earth on you eating in this thing? Hard pass.
Let me say it again, slower. Because...it... tastes...good.
That's the only reason that's needed. There are literally thousands of foods on the market that nobody should ever eat from a financial and/or nutritional standpoint, and yet there they are. There's a market for them. That's pretty much all there is to it.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
So basically add variety to your diet. We are paying people to tell us that? It would be interesting to see however for those on the red meat diet how much whole grains, beans, peas, fruit, vegetables and low fat dairy they were allowed to consume along with the red meat. You can do both. It's not an either/or. And three times higher than what? What is the baseline? Is it the people eating the fish and white meat? Because if the people eating the fish and white meat diet chances for getting heart disease are 5%.......then the red meat people is what, 15%? So call me ignorant......I'll continue to take my chances at dinner a few times a week with a juicy bbq burger/steak along with a side of legumes, whole grain roll, some grapes and berries, greens, sweet corn and 1% milk.

Oh by the way.............veggie burgers are very good. Tried them......like them. Doesn't mean I'll stop eating the red meat version. You can do both, it's not a crime.
Did you read it?
When on the red meat diet, the participants consumed roughly the equivalent of 8 ounces of steak daily, or two quarter-pound beef patties. After one month on this diet, blood levels of TMAO were three times higher than when participants were on the diets based on either white meat or non-meat protein sources.
It's eat a different protein source, and less red meat. Not variety.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I had it in San Diego a few weeks ago. I didn't care about being vegan so I put cheese, bacon, and switched out the vegan bun for a normal one.

If you didn't tell me it was a meatless burger, I wouldn't have known. The best comparison is one of those crappy wal-mart frozen pre-formed burgers. Not the greatest but still good in a pinch.

It can only get better. I have since bought BYND stock (I know it's not the same company) and will immediately buy once Impossible goes public.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
A group of us here in Chicago tried to get some impossible burgers delivered for lunch. The guy taking our order had to call 4 different places around the city before he found an article stating that all of Chicago had sold out of them.

If cattle are as bad for the environment as they say, plus the animal cruelty angle mixed in as well, I hope they make the impossible burger even better in the future and folks rely less on real meat.

However, in the future I have no idea how science will replicate a T-bone steak, because I’m never giving those bad boys up.

Strange times indeed.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The fake crab guys really missed the boat. A lot of people can't taste the difference. They screwed up by not naming it Impossible Crusties and charging more than than the real thing.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
https://www.pnas.org/content/115/15/3804

Although the postproduction loss across the supply chain is similar for plant- and animal-based items, the production of a gram protein (or calorie) from animal sources requires about an order of magnitude more resources and emissions than producing a gram of protein from plant sources (13, 18, 22, 23). Consequently, shifting to plant-based diets confers substantial environmental savings, comparable to or even surpassing projected improvements in agricultural productivity (1, 2, 24, 25). In other words, due to the disparate resource requirements of plant- and animal-based food items, replacing animal-based items with more resource-efficient plant alternatives will increase food availability by permitting reallocation of production resources from feed to human food

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
CBS Sunday Morning did a puff piece on the Impossible burger this morning. I was curious if they would report on the basics of how the product is made, nutritional and GMO aspects, the price of the product, and how the company is being financed. Nothing.
The entire story was about eliminating the livestock industry and saving the planet.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
CBS Sunday Morning did a puff piece on the Impossible burger this morning. I was curious if they would report on the basics of how the product is made, nutritional and GMO aspects, the price of the product, and how the company is being financed. Nothing.
The entire story was about eliminating the livestock industry and saving the planet.

All I know is I'm going to continue avoiding Soylent Green. The ingredient list is fairly questionable even if it is technically environmentally friendly

Help Support Us

Become a patron