Impossible Burger

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
All I know is I'm going to continue avoiding Soylent Green. The ingredient list is fairly questionable even if it is technically environmentally friendly

alSX-aqJ29mlkySUwGJv17qMGHo=.gif

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
No, just some of the basics. The piece was long enough to talk about more than one aspect.
But CBS Sunday Morning is all puff pieces. That's sort of their MO. If you were expecting them to cover the controversy, you were looking to the wrong news source. That's not what they do.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
But CBS Sunday Morning is all puff pieces. That's sort of their MO. If you were expecting them to cover the controversy, you were looking to the wrong news source. That's not what they do.
Agreed.
Was nice to see the shout out to Soybean hemoglobin (leghemoglobin) which was part of my thesis work at Iowa State. The lab I worked in was able to over express it in E. Coli which made it really easy to obtain. I'm not sure if the company is doing that, but that would be an easy source for heme.
We also used to sell it to a cosmetics company due to it's "oxygen scavenging" capability.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006

Never said that was my expectation.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
A local burger joint sells the Impossible burger, but the last two times we were in there, they didn't have it (I'm not the one hankering to try it). They must be selling like hot cakes.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I don't have an opinion on the product other than the fact that it is another highly refined processed food being marketed to us as healthy because reasons.

The fact that they have drawn huge investment dollars means the effort to press the current fad will be longer than most. Ultimately they will move on to the next shiny thing as they always have before.

I want to try one for the novelty of it, but I don't know how "reasonable, albeit expensive facsimile of a product I enjoy" moves the needle for most people to endorse the product in any other way.

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don't have an opinion on the product other than the fact that it is another highly refined processed food being marketed to us as healthy because reasons.

The fact that they have drawn huge investment dollars means the effort to press the current fad will be longer than most. Ultimately they will move on to the next shiny thing as they always have before.

I want to try one for the novelty of it, but I don't know how "reasonable, albeit expensive facsimile of a product I enjoy" moves the needle for most people to endorse the product in any other way.

Living in LA and Chicago the past 20 years I know countless vegetarians who really don't eat that healthy. I tried it for about a year and a half (half a year vegan, one year vegetarian), you really have to be almost a food scientist to get the correct complete protein combinations. I ended up adding back in many types of meat and fish but avoiding the fried foods I used to often eat meat with.

Avoiding processed foods (and thus crazy levels of sugar and salt) is really the one real piece of advice people need to eat healthy. Eating the correct portion for your own activity level and metabolism is probably the next piece of advice.

A gluten free or vegetarian diet may indirectly result in some people consuming less processed foods. In some cases it doesn't. I really think the "successful" gluten free and vegetarians are seeing the benefits not from lack of meat or even lack of gluten but from increased whole fruits and vegetables. The kind who "fail" are just replacing some types of processed foods for others. (not talking about celiac disease)

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I very much enjoy Impossible Burgers and get them when I can.

Last week I bought some Beyond Burgers to grill on the 4th. They were right on par with the Impossible burger if you ask me.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is this supposed to mean something? Should we be concerned? Should we be less interested in meatless burgers?
Playing up on the fear of what's in food and alluding to the "if you can't recognize it, it may be dangerous scheme." I see the same garbage from the anti-GMO and natural medicine crowd.

A little depressing to see it from a professor, but it appears to be working against his field of animal science, so I'm not entirely surprised.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.......A little depressing to see it from a professor, but it appears to be working against his field of animal science, so I'm not entirely surprised.

Damn Germans asking what is their food again......

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Is this supposed to mean something? Should we be concerned? Should we be less interested in meatless burgers?

I just found it interesting. Like I said early on in this thread, the current food trend is for less processed, more natural food, but the fake meat movement goes the opposite direction.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: matclone

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
The fake meat alternatives are advertised as wholesome, better for our health and the environment. The ingredient list shows that it is ultra-processed, so much so that it is indistinguishable from dog food. I'm sure plenty of consumers would find that interesting.

I'm curious to try it out, going to buy one the next time I go to the grocery store. I've heard that they are pretty tasty, but the texture is a little off. Will report back.

Last edited:

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Premium dog food is pretty much human quality at this point isn't it?

I bought some treats for the pups. They smelled like fig newtons. The ingredient list was recognizable stuff.

Their web site said the food cannot be considered human quality because they didn't want to pay for testing, but the manufacturing process was in line with human standards.

So bring on the fake meat. Let's save a cow

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Premium dog food is pretty much human quality at this point isn't it?

I bought some treats for the pups. They smelled like fig newtons. The ingredient list was recognizable stuff.

Their web site said the food cannot be considered human quality because they didn't want to pay for testing, but the manufacturing process was in line with human standards.

So bring on the fake meat. Let's save a cow

Not sure if serious....?