Impossible Burger

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA

Sorry I don't have time to really research that but here is some literature.
Just to clarify my position, I agree with you that closer to natural is generally better. I changed my eating habits to great effect about 18 months ago (down 130 lbs / 14 in on my waist, A1c back to normal and off meds, cut my BP meds in half, and my lipids have all improved though they weren't high to start with). I switched to a high fat / moderate protein keto diet, and as a result ended up eating more natural and less processed foods.

But I think a lot of fears about "bad" foods are overblown because the volume or lack of variety needed to cause issues is usually very high unless there are other issues. The body wants to be a certain way and it takes a lot of sustained effort to drive a change, for better or worse. Eating an occasional Impossible Burger as a substitute for a chicken breast sandwich isn't going to raise your estrogen. If you want to be super strict about not consuming any soy that's fine, but the effort to do that probably isn't making a measurable impact.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Just to clarify my position, I agree with you that closer to natural is generally better. I changed my eating habits to great effect about 18 months ago (down 130 lbs / 14 in on my waist, A1c back to normal and off meds, cut my BP meds in half, and my lipids have all improved though they weren't high to start with). I switched to a high fat / moderate protein keto diet, and as a result ended up eating more natural and less processed foods.

But I think a lot of fears about "bad" foods are overblown because the volume or lack of variety needed to cause issues is usually very high unless there are other issues. The body wants to be a certain way and it takes a lot of sustained effort to drive a change, for better or worse. Eating an occasional Impossible Burger as a substitute for a chicken breast sandwich isn't going to raise your estrogen. If you want to be super strict about not consuming any soy that's fine, but the effort to do that probably isn't making a measurable impact.
I thinks it's the combined effect. Like I posted plastics have artificial estrogens, milk is pumped full of hormones by way of injections to the cows, etc. Yes, I agree that subbing a few burgers is fine but with all variables it worries someone who is low T.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I thinks it's the combined effect. Like I posted plastics have artificial estrogens, milk is pumped full of hormones by way of injections to the cows, etc. Yes, I agree that subbing a few burgers is fine but with all variables it worries someone who is low T.
Yeah, and the "rules" change for someone who has been diagnosed with low T. For those people, it probably makes sense to be more cautious. Most people shouldn't be concerned.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Yeah, and the "rules" change for someone who has been diagnosed with low T. For those people, it probably makes sense to be more cautious. Most people shouldn't be concerned.
If you haven't looked into the statistics it's actually quite alarming how low the average testosterone rates are for men nowadays compared to say 100 years ago.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
If you haven't looked into the statistics it's actually quite alarming how low the average testosterone rates are for men nowadays compared to say 100 years ago.

There are a lot of reasons cited for the decline and most of them make perfect sense.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Oh yes they can!

No. No they can't. I'm sure these crazy ***** who make this crap will tell you that it tastes just the same. And the people who want it to taste the same will convince themselves that it does.

It's simple.

Cow eats plants and drinks water.

Nature makes beef inside the cow.

Just like God intended.

None of this mad scientist created God knows what it will cause in the future nightmare ********.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
No. No they can't. I'm sure these crazy ***** who make this crap will tell you that it tastes just the same. And the people who want it to taste the same will convince themselves that it does.

It's simple.

Cow eats plants and drinks water.

Nature makes beef inside the cow.

Just like God intended.

None of this mad scientist created God knows what it will cause in the future nightmare ********.

LOL. Except that they can produce it 100% naturally without the use of hormones or GMO grains. Did God intend antibiotics and GMO grains? If so, God also intended to culture meat in a lab. Eating plants and drinking water are inefficient parts of the process. It's costly and takes a lot of space.

Not withstanding your pivot from whether they can make it to that it won't taste as good, (or the same) the flavor is actually the easy part of the equation. Getting the animal cells to grow in a way that replicates the texture is the challenge. In regards to flavor, considering the market's acceptance of largely tasteless flavor profiles which are the product of "nature's" feedlots and confinements, there's no reason it won't accept a less expensive cultured meat.

There will always be the purists who refuse, but if one is in an area of world that's climbing from 3rd to second world status and they finally have the means to buy protein, they will buy such a product. And more importantly, it means that we are not going to run out of meat should the population explode like some expect.

• Optimistic
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Congrats! Those are some nice stats! You should fell proud of yourself.

I'm not quite the scientist. My story is kind of an intermittent starvation diet, and a lot of exercise. Started running, biking, elliptical. Only eat one meal/day now/supper, past 4 months. I've lost 30-35 (not sure which yet) over last 3-4 months.

I can't imagine losing 130 lbs. That's awesome!

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Congrats! Those are some nice stats! You should fell proud of yourself.

I'm not quite the scientist. My story is kind of an intermittent starvation diet, and a lot of exercise. Started running, biking, elliptical. Only eat one meal/day now/supper, past 4 months. I've lost 30-35 (not sure which yet) over last 3-4 months.

I can't imagine losing 130 lbs. That's awesome!
Thanks. Major weightloss like that is only possible when you let yourself get to a really bad place. I was 365lbs at only 5'9". I'm currently at just under 235lbs. Still fat, but lighter than I ever was in high school even. I lost the first ~30lbs a couple years ago and kept it off for about 6 months, then really buckled down with the diet in February 2020 to lose the next 100. I found something that is sustainable for me, so I'm confident this will be a lasting change.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007

Of course I would rather be doing my running/biking in WA. :)
Thanks. Major weightloss like that is only possible when you let yourself get to a really bad place. I was 365lbs at only 5'9". I'm currently at just under 235lbs. Still fat, but lighter than I ever was in high school even. I lost the first ~30lbs a couple years ago and kept it off for about 6 months, then really buckled down with the diet in February 2020 to lose the next 100. I found something that is sustainable for me, so I'm confident this will be a lasting change.
And just think, if you cut your hair whenever, that would be an extra couple pounds instantly! :)

• Haha

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Of course I would rather be doing my running/biking in WA. :)

And just think, if you cut your hair whenever, that would be an extra couple pounds instantly! :)
I did cut it late last month, as well as trimming up my beard - had to teach a class at (very conservative) Corporate office.

ETA: need to update my avatar!

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I did cut it late last month, as well as trimming up my beard - had to teach a class at (very conservative) Corporate office.

ETA: need to update my avatar!
Can't wait to see the handsome 'new' you!

I'm still going to take a pic of myself while it's still long, since I started that one hair thread, and put it in my avatar for awhile. Sooner or later...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron