ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Fanatics -

I write this with great frustration today as few things create more stress on me as the publisher of Cyclone Fanatic than when you guys are having problems accessing the site in an easy manner.

Since day one, my goal in publishing this site has been for CF to cover the Cyclones in a way unlike nobody else. I feel like we do that but if some of you have issues accessing it, what good does it do?

The good news is that it’s a small number of people who have been having issues on the forums lately. I want you to know that we are doing everything in our power to make things better though.

A few things…

On April 1, we moved all of our ad ops to a different company specifically because of problems with bad ads. About a month prior to that, I made another change that made significant improvements for those having problems. We went from having 4-5 reports a day to only about that many in the entire month of March. So yes, I am doing everything in my power to get a handle on this. It's why I'm so frustrated.

Why do we go through somebody else to serve ads? Well, I have to. I could simply throw Google ads up on the site but we’d go bankrupt in about two months if I did that because Google doesn't pay. This is where the issues come from. Bad ads are disguised and snuck into these chains, making life on publishers like myself a living hell. If I ever quit this gig, it will be because of this type of crap. It just never ends.

The good news is that there is more technology being developed by the day to block such things.

Lately, things have apparently been bad again for some users. I just want you guys to know how seriously we are taking the bad ads. I’ve spent a ton of time on this over the weekend, working with our team that let me tell you, is no slouch in this world. They are committed to stopping this and are some of the most experienced people in the industry.

I also want you to know that this isn’t just a CF problem. I’ve been on a number of national sites the last few weeks and had similar issues. I'm in a lot of groups with other publishers and we are all experiences this problem.

It’s just such a struggle these days. We are making pennies on the dollar compared to what the industry did five years ago. Keeping this site free is harder than ever and our traffic is two to three times what it once was.

It’s no excuse though. We’ve got to do better and are committed to doing so.

One more thing…

I do plan to roll out an ad-free option for forum users over the summer. I’m still trying to figure out how much to charge for something like this.

Thanks for your patience and hopefully we can make some really positive changes in the next few weeks.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
On another forum I am on (not on patreon but a similar donation system) they recently said “this is what we need from you users to run our servers ad free for the next 6 months” and gave the hard number.

I know that might not be possible in this situation but the users on that site paid out for the next year ad free in less than a week.

They (the site admin) were being all vague about it to start and no one was pitching in. Then they posted the numbers and boom. Money came in. People just want a goal and to feel a part of something.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Appreciate all the efforts! I was a user who was having a ton of issues on mobile since the show upgrade. The changes made the last couple of months have made a world of difference for me. Hopefully things can get worked out for those having issues now. Glass half full, it's good to see people frustrated by the issues, because it shows what a passionate, active user base there is on CF. If it were any other site, I'd just find somewhere else to spend my time.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Great work guys. Still think you should do an annual Patreon drive each spring. Would probably gather a few new committed paying members with each drive. Just my two cents!

• Agree
Reactions: Gunnerclone

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Open this and Wal-Mart or Amazon ad popped up hit back on browser and actually brought me back to this. I'll buy you a beer or 2 if you make it to okoboji for the tailgate tour or over summer!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No problems now seemed like it could handle one but not both videos/ads at the bottom. Used to have the ad but when the CF box showed up it seemed to be too much with both.

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I seriously do not envy you having to deal with all these headaches. I appreciate the effort though.

I appreciate it. Honestly it's the people here that make this job. What I do is WAY more about covering the Cyclones. If you haven't noticed, actually writing about Iowa State is like 10 percent of my responsibilities anymore. But we've grown so much and the changing landscape has demanded me to be more up on the business/tech sides of things. I've had to learn as I go. Lots of frustration but I love our little internet community. Like a second family in a weird kind of way.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I appreciate it. Honestly it's the people here that make this job. What I do is WAY more about covering the Cyclones. If you haven't noticed, actually writing about Iowa State is like 10 percent of my responsibilities anymore. But we've grown so much and the changing landscape has demanded me to be more up on the business/tech sides of things. I've had to learn as I go. Lots of frustration but I love our little internet community. Like a second family in a weird kind of way.

@ChrisMWilliams
A few people have mentioned this but you probably rarely hear this enough, thank you for what you do for CF. I understand the challenges in this ever changing landscape. You and your staff do a great job for operating a free website with good content. One of my favorites if the football game break down with woody and the Rog Gray football analysis, I've learned a lot from those.
There is a difference between people bringing up an issue and then those who will just b*tch about something because that's all they do. It's hard at times but don't let those guys get you down.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
After watching some posters piss and moan about a few problems with this FREE site, I am almost to the point of hoping Chris and Stanz just hit the kill switch for a day or two. Then maybe some of the entitled whiners could see what life would be like without CF. This site is amazing, warts and all. I honestly believe it has played a role in “raising the standard” for Cyclone athletics as a whole. Most of us are grateful for this site and greatly appreciate the sacrifices made to keep the lights on.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I too was having a lot of the ad issues..only when i would go to the forums and only on iphone..it only occurred in the past 3 months though never previously.

I would def be open to subscribing also for an ad free forum etc.. but I’ve also actually enjoyed the cyclone advertising as I’m ordering a new Cyclone flag for my kid bday from heartland flags:).

Reactions: norcalcy

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
After watching some posters piss and moan about a few problems with this FREE site, I am almost to the point of hoping Chris and Stanz just hit the kill switch for a day or two. Then maybe some of the entitled whiners could see what life would be like without CF. This site is amazing, warts and all. I honestly believe it has played a role in “raising the standard” for Cyclone athletics as a whole. Most of us are grateful for this site and greatly appreciate the sacrifices made to keep the lights on.

Do you use mobile? It was literally an unusable site for a while.

That said, it looks like the team worked tirelessly, because I’ve had zero problems with it since that moving ad stopped popping up. In fact, I’ve even been able to listen to Spotify and podcasts while browsing, so it appears the number of sound ads even has drastically decreased. Greatly appreciated, @ChrisMWilliams and staff!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron