I support Pollard 110%

Status
Not open for further replies.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
My support meter is at about 65% right now. I don't blame him for hiring Chizik and I don't blame him for Chizik leaving either. If McDermott doesn't produce this year it will probably be down to 30%.

cdekovic

Mar 25, 2006
Ames
Hello? Cael made $132,500 a year at Iowa State and is going to get paid $500,000 at Penn State. He is going to get the best recruits in PA and a lot of the top ones from Iowa. Perhaps when we have a +100,000 seat football stadium sold out week after week, year after year we can get him back. Heck Fennelley doesn't make $500,000 does he? This is purely a family future decision. The same decision one each and everyone of us would make. "Worse job". So what...
Good you can make up for the 15% in which I support him!!

You don't get it. Iowa State wrestling is different than Iowa State football. ISU wrestling is a top 3 job. Cael left for a worse job. What does that say ??

Reactions: Clones85'

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Hello? Cael made $132,500 a year at Iowa State and is going to get paid $500,000 at Penn State.

No. John Meyer of KCCI reported that Cael told him he's not getting "anywhere close" to $500,000, and then Cael was on camera saying he's "not getting much more of a pay raise" than his ISU job.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
what does Cael owe you people? ISU paid him ~$15k a year for 4 seasons as wrestler and he performed perfectly, more perfectly than any other wrestler ever in fact!

Then we pay he $110K to coach the team.... he wins the big 12 in three straight seasons and has finished 2nd, 5th and 3rd at the NCAAs (no "not his class" excuses for him like Mac gets)

In 13 season Bobby Douglas NEVER won the Big 12 - even with the perfect Cael & the nearly perfect Heskett on the roster. His last four seasons the team finished 19th (yes 19th!!!), 6th, 10th & 13th at the NCAAs. So much for greatness.

Cael is brand new to coaching and he's accomplished more than Douglas. We pay him $110k, don't act like that is all that much - with all the buisness and engineering grads on this board.

Pollard should have done what it took to keep him. This is the greatest performer a sport has ever seen - think Tiger, Jordan, Phelps -> That's Cael to wrestling.

Cael's record both in performance and coaching is awe-inspiring. One of the best ever.

Pollard has no record of any winning whatsoever. He's run MacCarney and Morgan out for Chizik, err Rhoads and Macdermott - awesome, that's really turned things around. He nearly ran off Fennelly, a legend here.

He's just run off / let go the greatest athlete in ISU history and the greatest wrestler of all time.

Pollard has had more chances that any other AD in the country. We used to at least have Baylor to scoff at - we are 3 times the laughing stock of the Big 12 we already were.

Enough already!

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
The most important job for an AD is to hire and retain winning coaches. At that JP has been a failure to date.

His biggest skill is that he is a tremendous marketer - and what he has been selling is hope. The majority of the fan base won't buy that forever. We need to start turning some of that hope into wins or JP won't last.

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
I do know JP, and I've seen the kind of person and businessman he is. He has kept the Iowa State athletic department solvent in very tough times, with a program that does not have the big givers of other schools. If you wonder why? Schools with law programs and doctor programs typically have the biggest donors. Iowa State does not have that luxury. Through that, he managed to hire two top football coaches that could have gone to many other schools. Same with both our basketball coaches and even Cael had other options. Pollard has done MORE WITH LESS than any other program around. I'm excited about Rhoads and his coordinators, both of which could virtually name their program. You don't have to like him, but he IS doing a super job.

Really?? What other head coaching jobs were offered? Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing the hiring and think it is a good fit, but I don't remember him being on too many other BCS programs' list.

Pollard may be a nice guy, but that doesn't mean he's done a good job. Unfortunately, he's what we're stuck with. So I will support him and hope he doesn't mess things up, because wanting him to fail is like Rush Limbaugh wanting Obama to fail. It hurts us all. There's a difference between support and approve.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
what does Cael owe you people? ISU paid him ~$15k a year for 4 seasons as wrestler and he performed perfectly, more perfectly than any other wrestler ever in fact!

Then we pay he $110K to coach the team.... he wins the big 12 in three straight seasons and has finished 2nd, 5th and 3rd at the NCAAs (no "not his class" excuses for him like Mac gets)

In 13 season Bobby Douglas NEVER won the Big 12 - even with the perfect Cael & the nearly perfect Heskett on the roster. His last four seasons the team finished 19th (yes 19th!!!), 6th, 10th & 13th at the NCAAs. So much for greatness.

Cael is brand new to coaching and he's accomplished more than Douglas. We pay him $110k, don't act like that is all that much - with all the buisness and engineering grads on this board.

Pollard should have done what it took to keep him. This is the greatest performer a sport has ever seen - think Tiger, Jordan, Phelps -> That's Cael to wrestling.

Cael's record both in performance and coaching is awe-inspiring. One of the best ever.

Pollard has no record of any winning whatsoever. He's run MacCarney and Morgan out for Chizik, err Rhoads and Macdermott - awesome, that's really turned things around. He nearly ran off Fennelly, a legend here.

He's just run off / let go the greatest athlete in ISU history and the greatest wrestler of all time.

Pollard has had more chances that any other AD in the country. We used to at least have Baylor to scoff at - we are 3 times the laughing stock of the Big 12 we already were.

Enough already!

Ummm, I like D Mac, but he should of been ran out earlier than Jamie had too... let's be consistent here on expectations. We kept MAC wayyyy too long. And things were happenig in the MBB that were bad and that is that.

Z

Last edited:

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I do know JP, and I've seen the kind of person and businessman he is. He has kept the Iowa State athletic department solvent in very tough times, with a program that does not have the big givers of other schools. If you wonder why? Schools with law programs and doctor programs typically have the biggest donors. Iowa State does not have that luxury. Through that, he managed to hire two top football coaches that could have gone to many other schools. Same with both our basketball coaches and even Cael had other options. Pollard has done MORE WITH LESS than any other program around. I'm excited about Rhoads and his coordinators, both of which could virtually name their program. You don't have to like him, but he IS doing a super job.

That is fine that you know him...and I am sure he is a "super" person! That is great! But that does not make the job he has done at ISU "super"! I am not attacking the man personally...I just think the has not delivered on the promises he has made. His job is to build winning programs at ISU! That is his job! Has he done that? How much time does he need to do this? 10 year? 5 years? How long?

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
The most important job for an AD is to hire and retain winning coaches. At that JP has been a failure to date.

His biggest skill is that he is a tremendous marketer - and what he has been selling is hope. The majority of the fan base won't buy that forever. We need to start turning some of that hope into wins or JP won't last.

Could not agree more! Solid post!

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN

Enough already!

Can we add Vlade Divac to that group:wink:

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I do not support JP anymore. I did when he got rid of DMac, even though it was a tough decision. I did when he bumped Bobby out in a proactive move to stay ahead of the game. In the end however AD's are judged on how the coaches they hire have won. The only coach that he's hired that's won just left to go to a much much worse program for a "pay raise." He "retained" BF, which frankly given the run he's had was a no brainer. His other hires have been less than fabulous. If you evaluate the state of the various programs it's hard to find one that's in better shape since he arrived, other than women's bball (which can we really give him credit for that?).

I think he's a fabulous snake oil salesman. No one else could have raised the money he's raised selling hope (except maybe President Obama) without much substance. He sold a plan, and frankly it's a good plan. The problem is you need football to be good to fill in the stadium. You need 65k there 6 weekends every fall and you need bball to be self supporting to make the plan take off and fly. If you have those things you can start to talk about a wrestling facility, and a quality gymnastics facility. (Yes our old gymnastics coach took us to the final 6, and promptly went to OU, took them from worst to first in two years. A fine preview of PSU wrestling by the way. In the end he messed up the football hire enough that he now will have a hard time selling hope to the donors, and the icon of modern day ISU athletics just left for a far worse job. He's done a nice job of managing a very tight budget in very tight times, but AD's are judged on winning, and he's just not cutting it.

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
I would have been more upset with JP if he had matched the crazy salary PSU is going to pay for a money losing sport. I continue to support JP.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Pollard's tenure is a quagmire.

(time to use terminology Angie will understand)

While I appreciate the vocabulary, I still respectfully disagree. :wink: Nicely played, by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron