I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
The DOT at one point had a future project for a different flyover at this same intersection going from southbound 35 to eastbound 30. So this is just a practice run.

• Informative
Reactions: Cy4Lifer

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Need to have this done before football season starts. That intersection is a disaster and this construction will make it worse. Someone is going to die this fall there.
It's supposed to be complete in November

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
They did flyovers at the I-80 I-29 interchange at Council Bluffs. A couple of those are open now. I swear that project has been going on for close to 5 years.
I just flew across the flyovers last week. What an improvement!!

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
They did flyovers at the I-80 I-29 interchange at Council Bluffs. A couple of those are open now. I swear that project has been going on for close to 5 years.

That's been going on for a long, long time. Those big interchange reconstructions take forever because as a contractor you can't be efficient. Lots of traffic switches, lots of changing operations, and you can never get a production line going.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
Need to have this done before football season starts. That intersection is a disaster and this construction will make it worse. Someone is going to die this fall there.
It's clover leaf.The concept has been around for a long time. They aren't hard to maneuver if you have some common sense. I don't think that it is the best design but if people could learn how to merge into traffic it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Just wait there are still going to be problems with merging in the new design.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It's clover leaf.The concept has been around for a long time. They aren't hard to maneuver if you have some common sense. I don't think that it is the best design but if people could learn how to merge into traffic it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Just wait there are still going to be problems with merging in the new design.

Sorry, but there's a reason they're changing it. That much traffic merging and exiting, combined with limited visibility from those merging (because of the curve) at the same short stretch of road at different speeds (traffic on the ramp is going to be slower) is a recipe for failure. The cloverleaf has inherent issues

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Bottom paragraph is true of private development. Most government contracts go to the "lowest qualified bidder", and the definition of that can be murky. If these guys have never done this type of construction, they may fall into the category of an unqualified bidder. However, it can open the DOT up to a potential lawsuit if the contractor thinks they are qualified and discriminated against.
Given I work in Missouri, but the City I work for does not always go with the lowest bid. We're able to factor many things in, knowing that the cheapest option is not always the best.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
I'm not in the industry but I asked someone associated with the Highway 330/Baxter exit project why they didn't pour the road last fall before winter and his reply was they had to let the land settle over the winter before they could pour the concrete.

Can a traffic engineer tell us why the exits ramps are so dang huge here? It seems like they could have done the same things in about 1/4 of the space.

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Given I work in Missouri, but the City I work for does not always go with the lowest bid. We're able to factor many things in, knowing that the cheapest option is not always the best.

It also matters if the projects was sent out as a request for proposal or a request for qualifications. many projects around here are sent out as a request for qualifications and they choose the winner based on qualifications without even discussing the price.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Sorry, but there's a reason they're changing it. That much traffic merging and exiting, combined with limited visibility from those merging (because of the curve) at the same short stretch of road at different speeds (traffic on the ramp is going to be slower) is a recipe for failure. The cloverleaf has inherent issues

Truth. Not always the best design depending on speed and traffic volume. The old traditional design works in the Twin Cities where congestion has slowed both the merging and exiting traffic. For the higher speed and high volume intersections the merging and exiting has a longer and median separated lane of it's own on the highest volume road. The highest speed/volume one are getting flyovers although some of them can freak you out a little in ice/snow because of icy decks. You don't want to "flyover" literally.

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

veteran4cy

Nov 13, 2012
Ankeny
I agree that it's not a perfect design. I just think that with the lack of people who know how to merge properly the new design will still have plenty of issues. You are going to have northbound and southbound merging at the same time people are going to be trying to take the Dayton exit. That seams like a recipe for disaster also.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des

Yeah, it's a bit different in Iowa. Any DOT project, including city streets that are classified as a DOT highway are lowest responsive bid. Cities around here have followed suited to an extent, but some reserve the right to throw out a bid for several reasons.

AWARD OF CONTRACTS
The Iowa DOT's practice is to award a contract to the lowest responsive bidder within 30 days of the letting or reject all bids on the project. Contracts for state projects are normally sent to the contractor within one week of the letting. Contracts for city and county projects are sent to the appropriate local jurisdiction. The local agency makes the final award decision.

agrabes

Oct 25, 2006
I agree that it's not a perfect design. I just think that with the lack of people who know how to merge properly the new design will still have plenty of issues. You are going to have northbound and southbound merging at the same time people are going to be trying to take the Dayton exit. That seams like a recipe for disaster also.

The difference is that in the new design there is a lot more time to make that merge. The issue with the standard cloverleaf design (and why it is no longer used) is because you have traffic trying to merge on and off the interstate in a very short stretch of road. At this intersection today you have about 600 feet of space to merge. If you're going the speed limit, it takes about 6 seconds to drive from one end of the merging area to the other. You're realistically not going to merge in there right at the far end of the merging area, so really you only have 3-4 seconds. If traffic is busy at all, there are going to be 2-3 cars in there at least so now you have to find a gap and get into it all in that short time. Meanwhile you have to judge the speed of the other cars and speed up or slow down as appropriate. The cars coming in are driving in a curved path so it's really hard to judge their speed. And if there's a semi or two in there, forget about it. You have almost no opportunity to do the merge.

In the new design, you have a few thousand feet to merge with people who are going the same direction and same general speed as you. You have way more time and it's a much easier task.

When you do traffic design you are not designing the highway for the optimum driver, or even the top third. You could design the bare minimum space needed to merge and assume perfect meshing for traffic and it would work if only the best professional drivers were allowed on the road. Realistically, you have to design to make things easy because people aren't perfect and you can't expect them to be 100% tuned in 100% of the time.

DeftOne

Dec 30, 2014
Des Moines, IA
Don't think this question has been answered. Who is the contractor on the I-35/US-30 interchange project?
Assuming it was awarded to the lowest bidder (I don't know that for a fact), Minnowa Construction would be the contractor according to the bids received:

https://www.bidx.com/ia/apparentbids?contid=85-0354-183

Also, the reason I was told that one of the piers was demolished and reconstructed was because there were some serious defects with the concrete (lots of honeycombing & voids) that couldn't be repaired. You can see some of these types of issues in the photo from the Ames Trib below:
http://www.amestrib.com/storyimage/IA/20170920/NEWS/309209984/EP/1/1/EP-309209984.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron