I-35 / US 30 Flyover Progress

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Oh man I didn't know Minnowa Construction was the contractor. I race against the owner of the company's son. lol. They own aggregate and hauling companies up in NE Iowa and SE Minnesota.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
I deal with a ton of idiot Contractors (and I'm an idiot Engineer), so nothing really surprises me. ...but, I can't believe they had no clue how the super structure was going to tie into the piers before they placed the concrete.

Also, I wonder how much effort they went to in order to redesign the system so they didn't have to get out the jack hammers?

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I deal with a ton of idiot Contractors (and I'm an idiot Engineer), so nothing really surprises me. ...but, I can't believe they had no clue how the super structure was going to tie into the piers before they placed the concrete.

Also, I wonder how much effort they went to in order to redesign the system so they didn't have to get out the jack hammers?

According to the Ames Trib article they did.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

There has been scaffolding on the “most south” pier for a month with numerous workers jackhammering by hand. There is now scaffolding on the next pier north of that one with workers jackhammering.
Remember this is the second South pier. The first one was completely taken down. Where the steel would be placed, to actually meet up with the “ “dirt work” ramp has been jackhammered as well.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
According to the Ames Trib article they did.

There has been scaffolding on the “most south” pier for a month with numerous workers jackhammering by hand. There is now scaffolding on the next pier north of that one with workers jackhammering.
Remember this is the second South pier. The first one was completely taken down. Where the steel would be placed, to actually meet up with the “ “dirt work” ramp has been jackhammered as well.

Poorly worded on my part, but I wonder how much they spent on trying to redesign before they had to get out the jackhammers.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
Poorly worded on my part, but I wonder how much they spent on trying to redesign before they had to get out the jackhammers.

You would think that they would be allowed to core drill an oversized hole and epoxy in anchor bolts and have a 3rd party pull-test the anchor bolts so they didn't have to go to this extreme of chipping for months on months. Is there that much uplift on these bridge decks that can't be verified by a pull-test?

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
You would think that they would be allowed to core drill an oversized hole and epoxy in anchor bolts and have a 3rd party pull-test the anchor bolts so they didn't have to go to this extreme of chipping for months on months. Is there that much uplift on these bridge decks that can't be verified by a pull-test?

Agree. I guess that's introducing another point for water to enter, but I would think an increase warranty would've been option. In any event, it would've been a fun conversation to grab a bucket of popcorn for!

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Last I had heard the piers were about 6" to high and the company had the 2 large cranes reposesd.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Me: Soooo your car was pretty fast in that last race, but your bridge work is pretty sloooowww.

Or, you could tell him that you heard someone talking about how Minnowa is getting screwed by some sub-contractor they hired to do the work in Ames and let him tell you details while blaming someone else.

Reactions: khardbored

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
On some of the flyovers in Council Bluffs, the IDiOT left no places for them to push snow off in case of a massive snowfall. Workers have been talking about a giant snow blower or even a payloader to remove deep snow.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
On some of the flyovers in Council Bluffs, the IDiOT left no places for them to push snow off in case of a massive snowfall. Workers have been talking about a giant snow blower or even a payloader to remove deep snow.
It's the same way on the West Dodge Overpass. I don't know if they just bring in trucks and end loaders or what. We haven't had enough snow the last few years for it to be a problem.