How many wins will it take next year to keep you hopeful about the program?

Mesaclone1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
6 is the over/under.

Expecting more would be unrealistic, anything less means we played below our talent level. That said, should we win 4-5 but be competitive in every game, I'd still see that as progressing in the right direction if still somewhat disappointing. So 6 is my magic number for believing the program is going where we want it to go. We will still be a team that is young, though far less than this season, and that will be even better in 2015. The next two years should see a strong upswing in our on-field performance...this season, given the injuries and youth, was about what could have been expected. From here on out, we get better every year for the foreseeable future.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
We have 4 conference wins in us.... add 2-3 non-cons, we need to be at 6 wins next year. PERIOD.

-keep

CY88

Jan 3, 2013
A minimum of 6 any more is icing on the cake any less is a kick in the ****.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I'd say 6 for the most part. But absolute bare minimum would be a 'very competitive 5'... ie we only got 5 wins but we at least werent getting blown out in our other games.

cyclone2001

Feb 26, 2012
6 wins + bowl win is the minimum CPR needs to do in his sixth year as a head coach. I really want 7 wins + bowl win, but is not going to happen with schedule next year.

mikedp

Dec 15, 2008
Ames, IA
This past year I expected a 4-8 season with wins over UNI, IA, TCU, KS and possibly an upset like CPR's past has shown for 5 W's. I figured our young team needed a year to build on chemistry, well we fell short of expectations (in my eyes) for reasons discussed on other threads.

At same time expecting a 4-8 record this year I felt we could be 8-4 next year, with what was seen this past year and re-evaluating the talent pool I'll stay with my 8-4 guestimate for meeting expectations. 7-5 is doable if we're close in all games.

Warm weather Bowl game with a W or a respectable showing would be a move in the right step also.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
4 conference wins, or a lot of fairly-uncontrollable issues. I mostly give a pass for 2013/14 primarily because of the much worse than normal injuries.

Otherwise, I see 3 reasons why next year has the most potential in the Rhoads era:

1) Tons of experience gained in 2013/14 (due both to injuries or previous year's seniors leaving).
2) Good existing talent recovering or returning from injuries.
3) As much as anyone can tell -- there should be impact players added to the roster.

I think those 3 things will outweigh the seniors and attrition. The new coaching staff, of course, could be horrible, awesome, or anywhere in between.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron