How many wins will it take next year to keep you hopeful about the program?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We have a lot of talent returning next year, and unlike this year they have some experience now. I fully expect them to blow up with 8 wins because we haven't had this athletic of a team before. I'll settle for 6 wins, but CPR has literally brought in a better recruiting class each year he's been here and it's time for it to show.

Last year we had a good experienced team, but a bad OC held them back. Hopefully a more talented version this time has a better OC and results.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
6. If we are competitive and end at 5 I could deal. 4 or less and it's pitchforks and torches time over here.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Going to a bowl game at 6-6 is a complete joke as it is. 6-6 is below average and mediocre yet we still really struggle to hit 6 wins every year. I will always expect 6 wins minimum a year, really shouldn't be that hard to do. I'm guessing were 4-8 or 5-7 next year and Rhoads will preach about improvement each game while ignoring the fact that we just aren't very good. I'm also guessing he'll promote a coordinator within and he will struggle. I love Rhoads but almost every other coach in the big 12 had crazy impressive seasons in years 5 and 6. Briles is taking baylor to a BCS, Gundy won 11 games, OU won 11 games, Synder won 10 games. We are now the only school in big 12 history to have never won 10 games in a season. Only like 5 BCS schools have never not won 10 games and were one of them. For once I want to a winner but will just keep settling for a mediocre bowl game against a non BCS school. Last season has me bitter. I kept saying I wouldn't renew tickets if Messingham was back but since he's gone I'll renew this year. However, if we don't reach a bowl game next season all the money I spend on football will be going to basketball and Hoiberg.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
This is why we have problems. Yes we should expect improvement and yes we should expect to be good. The problem is other than a few good years under McCarney when have we ever done that. I want to be optimistic and hope we do really well but these predictions are unrealistic. Look at the Big 12. As far as I'm concerned the only conference that is close to as hard as it is the SEC and Missouri and A&M have shown the Big 12 is better. Why should we expect to be a good team (7-8 wins) when we have never consistently been a decent team (5-6 wins). Look I fully expect to be much better but there really is only so much you can expect.

I think looking at our schedule we should expect as follows.

North Dakota State- Win
Kansas State- Loss
Iowa- Loss
Baylor- Loss
Oklahoma State- Loss
Toledo- Win
Texas- Loss
Oklahoma- Loss
Kansas- Win
Texas Tech- Win
West Virginia- Win
TCU- Loss

That is a 5-7 record and I really don't see how you could expect a much better record. I will say that we could pick up a few other wins but not many. Best case I can see is 7-5. We will not beat Texas in Austin, and for Oklahoma I don't think we have beat them since 1990 so longer than I have been alive. We also will not go into Stillwater and beat Oklahoma State. We don't have the surprise we used to have. I think the others are winnable but we will only be able to get two at the most.

I would ideally like to go 13-0 but we have to be realistic. We may be better and this is probably our best team, but we have two problems. Number one we play in the Big 12 and number two teams know that we will play our best and will give them a test.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
We have won five conference games one time and four conference games twice. If we can win three, it is probably better than an average year ion last hundred years.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Going to a bowl game at 6-6 is a complete joke as it is. 6-6 is below average and mediocre yet we still really struggle to hit 6 wins every year.

6-6 (0.500 record) is the definition of average. Only half of teams playing can win.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No losses to Football Championship Subdivision teams as a starter. We are going to know right out of the gate after the opener that is followed by Kansas State, Iowa, Baylor and OSU before we get to the Toledo game for homecoming. Start like we did this year and we will be looking at 0-5 and I will be sad and depressed.

It's a very non-traditional schedule if you haven't taken a look at it yet:
http://www.cyclones.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=48393&SPID=4653&DB_OEM_ID=10700&Q_SEASON=2014

Last edited:

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
For you doom and gloomers, Okie St loses a TON of guys. Their d was very good and I think they lose 7 or 8 starters including all their studs. OU is not very good. Their skill position players on O are subpar. Texas will be breaking in a new coach. WVU will not be good and neither will KU. I think TCU will be about the same in 2014 as they were in 2013. Tech was not that great and their walkon QB that won them a few games is gone.

Expectations need to be raised for this program. No more thinking locker room videos after finishing 3-9 are awesome, that's embarrassing.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron