How does this end?

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
200w.webp

Thanks a lot, just wasted 45 minutes of my day.....

cyyote15

Nov 3, 2013
Sioux Falls, SD
Those who think we finish in the top 12... not gonna happen. Everyone ahead of us is either:

a) far enough ahead with 1 or 0 losses that 1 loss won't drop them below us
or
b) only cupcakes left so they won't lose again anyway

This may be the reason we could jump into the top 12. stronger schedule and better wins, if we win out.

• Agree
Reactions: CloneFan4

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Another good question is does OSU beat WV? They're capable.

If that happens and then ISU pulls it off Saturday night I'm gonna practically wish for the KSU game to be an 11 am kick just to get it here and done with.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I don't like the idea of playing Texas, in Texas on the LHN. Not because I think this team isn't up to the challenge. I just feel like all these factors allow the referees to decide who wins this game if it's a close one. Everyone on the planet believes, except ISU fans, that Texas winning this game is the best thing for the Big 12. Looking at what the refs did to us last year in Manhattan has me worried as **** about how they will call this game.

Press your foot on their throat and don’t let them get close and can’t let the refs decide it. Snap their ******* necks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Another important question:
How many off-topic threads do we need to get through Friday?

5?
7?
26?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don't like the idea of playing Texas, in Texas on the LHN. Not because I think this team isn't up to the challenge. I just feel like all these factors allow the referees to decide who wins this game if it's a close one. Everyone on the planet believes, except ISU fans, that Texas winning this game is the best thing for the Big 12. Looking at what the refs did to us last year in Manhattan has me worried as **** about how they will call this game.

One way would be if something's working and Texas is on defense on their side of the field and has one time out left late, to stick with it to take the refs out of it.

FWIW imo ISU has at times looked more prepared/crisp on the road then at home.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
Those who think we finish in the top 12... not gonna happen. Everyone ahead of us is either:

or

Winning out would mean we beat #15 which with head to head result would mean we go to at least 15 if there is 0 other upward movement after a top 15 win on the road.

UCF could easily lose to Cincinnati this weekend and drop 5 plus because they did so.

Ohio State faces Michigan.
WVU still has OU
Washington State still has Washington.
Syracuae has 2 ranked opponents left.

It's not unreasonable to think we cant move up 3 spots to get to #12, even without major upsets. Add a single major upset or 2 combined with ISU running the table and Clones are in the top 12.

If Washington State or UCF lose, the committee will tank them in the rankings because of conference perception this year.

We end above TX, UCF, Cuse, and Washington State and we're into a NY6 game. No massive shake ups or upsets needed for that to occur either. And there's plenty of other games that can be a massive upset that could send a team down significantly.

Dale

Mar 5, 2010
Chicagoland

or

There's a good chance Iowa State would be top 12 this weekend with a decisive win over Texas:
  • Texas (15) would obviously be jumped.
  • Penn State (14) is playing Rutgers (not helpful) and would have zero top 25 wins to Iowa State's two.
  • Florida (13) is playing Idaho (not helpful) and would have an overall less impressive set of wins than Iowa State.
  • Syracuse (12) is playing ND. If they lose, I think it's unlikely the committee would consider them a better 3-loss team than Florida or Iowa State.
Not a sure thing, but very plausible.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
I usually get more pessimistic closer to game time but man, I feel good this week. I really think there will be 5-10k ISU fans in the stadium Saturday night. Texas is really banged up on the D-line.

Is it Saturday night yet?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Another good question is does OSU beat WV? They're capable.

If that happens and then ISU pulls it off Saturday night I'm gonna practically wish for the KSU game to be an 11 am kick just to get it here and done with.

You'll be disappointed to know that it's already been decided that the KSU game will be at 6/7 p.m. Long day.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
One way would be if something's working and Texas is on defense on their side of the field and has one time out left late, to stick with it to take the refs out of it.

FWIW imo ISU has at times looked more prepared/crisp on the road then at home.

Sounds like KSU game last year

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It's not unreasonable to think we cant move up 3 spots to get to #12, even without major upsets. Add a single major upset or 2 combined with ISU running the table and Clones are in the top 12.

#12 might not be enough. Through the first four years of the CFP, #10-12 have been bubble teams because of (1) highest-ranked G5 getting a spot and (2) secondary team clauses in certain bowl agreements.

2014:
#11 Kansas State bounced by #20 Boise State (highest G5)
#12 Georgia Tech in b/c of ACC/Orange agreement

2015:
#10 North Carolina and #11 TCU bounced by #16 Oklahoma State (Big 12 #2; auto Sugar) and #18 Houston (highest G5)
#12 Ole Miss in b/c of SEC/Sugar agreement

2016:
#10 Colorado and #12 Oklahoma State bounced by #14 Auburn (SEC #2; auto Sugar) and #15 Western Michigan (highest G5)
#11 Florida State in b/c of ACC/Orange agreement

2017:
Entire top 12 got in due to (a) UCF being ranked #12 and (b) Sugar was a semi, so any B12/SEC teams below #12 didn't get the automatic spot as in previous years

• Informative
Reactions: vmbplayer

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
IDK what to think.

I can definitely see OSU beating WV in the afternoon. Which would swing the door WIDE open for ISU. And then normally, Lucy would take the football away and ISU would choke due to refs or missed FG or something. Classic nut cup result.

But with CMC and the new world of having a normal football team, I just don't know. Everything's coming up Milhouse these days.

I think it's about 50/50 on both the Texas and WV games. So 1/4 that we are in 2nd place going into KSt game next week.

I don't think we beat OU in the CCG, if we get there, and I don't think we get to a NY6 unless OU goes CFP.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm one of the PTSD Era Cyclone Fans. So I have a hard time envisioning us in the B12 Championship game.

It seems most likely we lose to Texas and miss out. :(

But most unluckily for us would be to win out and still miss the game because of WVU. :confused: :mad:

• Agree
Reactions: NobodyBeatsCy