How does the Michigan win affect Hilton Scheduling?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Talking to some friends after the win and its effects, two questions came up that everyone can give their opinion on, in terms of future scheduling.

1) Will the Michigan win, and how obviously difficult it is for visiting teams to win in Hilton again over the last few years make it much more difficult if not impossible to schedule highly-ranked teams in the non-conference season?

or

2) Is ISU moving to a point in terms of talent and success where we can schedule home and home series with some more highly-ranked teams, or at least more BCS schools in the non-conference season?

As a follow-up....who would you like to see ISU schedule in possible home and home series on a regular basis?

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Great win in Nov. Every time they pull up the resume, this win will be noted as a quality win. Hope Mich or Iowa wins the BIG whatever.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I think Duke usually throws a couple games early in the season so they don't have this problem. We should look into that.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
On the surface, of course not. But what I got to wondering about was two questions for everyone to give their opinion on, in terms of future scheduling.

1) Will the Michigan win, and how obviously difficult it is for visiting teams to win in Hilton again over the last few years make it much more difficult if not impossible to schedule highly-ranked teams in the non-conference season?

or

2) Is ISU moving to a point in terms of talent and success where we can schedule home and home series with some more highly-ranked teams, or at least more BCS schools in the non-conference season?

As a follow-up....who would you like to see ISU schedule in possible home and home series on a regular basis?

This post is such a fail that a GIF has not, nor ever will, been developed to appropriately describe it.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
We shouldn't have trouble getting quality teams to come to Hilton. If we are good and the other team is ranked or good, good possibility of it being on ESPN. You can sell that to an AD.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Only on Cyclonefanatic is a win still a loss. Don't worry Dryburn, we'll lose eventually.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
IMHO getting into top 25 early is a good thing. I don't see these guys getting too confident.

I have no clue if they would get too confident, but I can see a possible negative where the team could not take BYU seriously enough and drop right back out of the top 25. I don't see it happening, but I do fear a letdown for a very tough road game tomorrow night.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If we get beat soundly @BYU it will probably be because of the Michigan win and all the hype/drama surrounding it, but you still take the result of those two outcomes if given a choice.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The only possible negative thing that can come from a game like that is the players coming away form the game thinking they are "there" and don't need to work on improving. Don't see that happening under Fred. There were plenty of things that the team did not do well in that game, lots of things to work on yet.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
I'm just going to skip the first part of your post and focus on the last question. I would like ISU to play more games against the top tier Big 10 teams. I believe it will help with recruiting in the midwest.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
This post is such a fail that a GIF has not, nor ever will, been developed to appropriately describe it.

Maybe??

sanchez21.gif

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
On the surface, of course not. Talking to some friends after the win and its effects, two questions came up that everyone can give their opinion on, in terms of future scheduling.

or

I think us being a "top 25" type team will only help us in scheduling other BCS schools home/home. In the past when we weren't really perceived as "good" there was too much risk in coming to Hilton. No matter how mediocre we were there was a good chance we'd win in Hilton. There was really nothing to gain for the visiter perception wise.

If we are a top 25 team, the loss in Hilton doesn't hurt you as much. Look at the reaction to the Michigan loss. Everybody is basically saying... "Hilton's a tough place to play... no shame in losing that game."

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I'm just going to skip the first part of your post and focus on the last question. I would like ISU to play more games against the top tier Big 10 teams. I believe it will help with recruiting in the midwest.

nice to know top tier big 10 teams want to help us improve our recruiting.