How does the Michigan win affect Hilton Scheduling?

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
a3b28ebe5f69160073e3e4f7f5f2fdb2.png

telling+someone+else+they+started+a+spiderman+thread+wrong+amp+_e09cd70909cd919be9f53602b241ae91.jpg

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
This might be my favorite thread ever.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
You know your thread is a fail when you have to change the title five hrs later so people stop ripping you a new one...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
You do realize teams knew Hilton was tough to play in before the Michigan game. With the program on the rise it will be easier to get teams like this to come to Ames. It really pads a their NCAA resume if they win and if they lose its an earily season loss to a good team on the road. While when the program was down it looked really bad to lose to ISU.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I drove home from Auburn Hills that night in 2000. Sun came up about Wolcott. I really like to get a shot at Izzo in Hilton.

Linusvanp3lt

Sep 25, 2012
We shouldn't have trouble getting quality teams to come to Hilton. If we are good and the other team is ranked or good, good possibility of it being on ESPN. You can sell that to an AD.

This isn't true. If it was, why do we not have major non-conference games? We had to have basically the Johnny Orr connection and we played on a mid day Sunday on ESPN2 just to get this one.

Playing ISU in Hilton is a hard sell. You'll probably lose, and there isn't the buzz, and if you win you don't get major upside. More importantly the fact is most major teams play very few road games during the non-conference. Usually is either rivals or a game the coach guarantees "we'll play a game in your hometown" to a recruit.

Duke is playing zero. KU is only playing two. UNC is playing one outside of the BIG10/ACC challenge. (they are playing Texas at home, but if you remember Texas's home game was in Jerryworld) Louisville is playing two, but one is a rival game with Kentucky, and the other is FIU. Kentucky is playing one at UNC and a neutral site with Baylor.

I think we're still not major news makers, and will need Hoiberg to become Izzo in order for us to change classes to elite. Even then it maybe gets us one high profile home game. However, I do think we have the opportunity to play more high profile neutral site games like we did with Duke a few years ago, but in order to negotiate these games we will likely have to make a return trip as Texas is doing for UNC. Again maybe one a year (not counting tournaments).

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
What teams don't want to do is come here, lose, and then we end up the season a .500 team. If we consistently become a top 20 or top 15 team then the loss doesn't hurt them at the end of the year and if they can get a win it is a quality win that really helps at tournament time.

If the Big 12/SEC basketball thing continues I'm hoping we can start getting better teams into Hilton for that also. How cool would it be to get Kentucky in here?

You really think Cal and Pitino and Matta and their ilk say to themselves, "**** it, let's go there, I don't give a **** if we lose".

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
The fact of the matter is that elite teams will not be knocking down our door to get a shot at Hilton Magic. To them it is a major deturent. To elite teams coming to Ames is a loose-loose situation. One one hand the elites are suppose to win wherever they go, and if they loose it's a black eye on their resume for later in the season. One other reason elite teams come to small town Iowa to play a game would be for recruiting purposes. Last I checked Iowa is a once every 5 year "big time" recruiting area. The elites would rather play in Chicago, New York City, Washington, D.C., Dallas where they highly recruit people from and where the big arenas are. Face it- elites will never be willing to come to Ames unless they are getting something vauable in return- I just don't see small town Iowa recruiting and Hilton Coleseum as deal makers for the elites.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron