Hogue's "Intentional" foul

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Could have been a lot worse. Watching the replay on WHO13, Embiid's lay in, in the first half, Hogue had a nice trip attempt as he was laying on the ground. Didn't catch that as I was watching but definitely caught it in the replay.

I think this is what led to the intentional more than anything. I love Hogue and his attitude has been great for this team. However, he is a bit reckless at times, swinging his elbows and reacting to refs calls. Had that foul been on, say, Monte Morris I doubt it gets called intentional.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Don't start booing ... Like KU fans. Take a chill pill ... It won't make any difference a 1,000 years from now!

Just disagree with the call, as others have said you'd have to call 5 of those every game to be consistent. Didn't lose us the game overall but it sure as hell was the reason we had no shot at the end.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I STAND CORRECTED....sorry....

Here's the rule 4 of an Intentional foul.....

A foul shall be ruled intentional when a player, while playing the ball, causes excessive contact.

Based on this rule, i now believe it was a correct call.

Hold on a minute. Hogue may have not wanted Embibed to dunk the ball even though a foul would be called. Do you do all things namby pamby for fear that it is judged excessive? It use to be good bball sense to ensure it is not a three point play. The arm must be above the eyes to block the ball. I thought it was just a personal and not excessive. No blood, no flagrant. No eye gouging, no flagrant. Are we going to dumb down bball just like the wimps in football? Are we changing the landscape of all competitive sports? Geez, look how crappy Aaron Pull the Jockstrap Craft's defense is this year. The shot last night won it for PSU and he did not even get to pull his shorts down.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I think this is what led to the intentional more than anything. I love Hogue and his attitude has been great for this team. However, he is a bit reckless at times, swinging his elbows and reacting to refs calls. Had that foul been on, say, Monte Morris I doubt it gets called intentional.

Dumb, all they saw was a red jersey fouling a white jersey hard and looked for every opportunity to nitpick an intentional foul. I want someone who thinks it was a good call to try and convince everyone that this would have been called in the exact same situation in the NCAA championship game. It was that obvious right???

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
Didn't think it was the right call, but it was a judgement call that could probably go either way, I was much more upset about the Kane block that was an insane block. Actually didnt think the refs were too bad though.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
That seemed like a really bad call. I don't get it at all but other than that the refs weren't bad.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Didn't think it was the right call, but it was a judgement call that could probably go either way, I was much more upset about the Kane block that was an insane block. Actually didnt think the refs were too bad though.

I agree that the officiating wasn't too bad outside of those couple calls, just sucked when they occurred.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa

For all you guys that think I am defending the intentional foul call too much, I will AGREE that the block by Kane should not have been called. Was a great play by Kane.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Dumb, all they saw was a red jersey fouling a white jersey hard and looked for every opportunity to nitpick an intentional foul. I want someone who thinks it was a good call to try and convince everyone that this would have been called in the exact same situation in the NCAA championship game. It was that obvious right???
Wouldn't the fact that we've been going back and forth for 150 posts indicate that it's not clear cut either way?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The call only affected the outcome of the game because Kansas scored on the possession after the free throws. They only scored then because we failed to block out on the missed shot and as a result gave them an easy lay in. Had we blocked out on that FG shot and got the rebound, the call would have had no affect at all on the outcome other than running a few more seconds off the clock for the play.

I'm not saying officiating decided the game (it definitely did in Ames last year) but this is faulty logic. It's irrational to say one team should have to overcome being screwed any number of times and if they don't somehow overcome it they were never screwed to begin with because it's their own fault for not overcoming it.

Again not saying officiating decided last night's game (it's not even in the top 20 worst ISU/KU games) but this line of thought on bad calls is just irrational.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA

Kanes block and Niang's travel as defenders jumped on his back were pretty bad. Other than that not too bad, they allowed a lot of contact down low and that favored KU.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Are people seriously blaming refs? Really? Even Walters and Heft, who are the biggest homers in the world, were saying how well officiated the game was. And I'm sorry, but the three consecutive turnovers were what was deflating, not the intentional foul. And it wasn't a 4 point swing. It would be a two point swing. Wiggins was going to be shooting two regardless of if it was called a technical or not.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Are people seriously blaming refs? Really? Even Walters and Heft, who are the biggest homers in the world, were saying how well officiated the game was. And I'm sorry, but the three consecutive turnovers were what was deflating, not the intentional foul. And it wasn't a 4 point swing. It would be a two point swing. Wiggins was going to be shooting two regardless of if it was called a technical or not.

Nobody is blaming the officials for the loss (like the two regular season games last year where the officials were solely to blame for the loss).

People are simply pointing out that an intentional foul cannot be called in that situation. It was a big moment in the game, and it was clearly the wrong call.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

Uh, no. And you're correct, the intentional foul wasn't deflating at all....

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
Wouldn't the fact that we've been going back and forth for 150 posts indicate that it's not clear cut either way?

It's also a very contentious issue, and a lot of people will have to weigh in on it. We're just gonna have to read through the responses. I think there's a lot of good points being raised, and don't mind the additional talk about it.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
Uh, no. And you're correct, the intentional foul wasn't deflating at all....

And you're correct, three consecutive turnovers when we have the chance to tie or take the lead weren't deflating at all.....much less so than the two additional points we gave up after said turnovers because of a technical foul call.

mikem

Jul 27, 2010

I don't want to wade through all of this, but a simple question to ask is this....IF a ku player had fouled Kane the exact same way, would they have called that intentional?

I think the answer is pretty obvious, and the quality of the call can be answered with that simple question.

That said, the refs were not responsible for the loss last night. ku is better than we are, and more talented than almost anyone in the country. They played well, and when they play well, we really don't have a chance due to talent differential.

However to get the game within 2 points with 2:30 left at afh, says a lot about the toughness and character of this group at Iowa State, especially with the way the game started.

Help Support Us

Become a patron