Hogue's "Intentional" foul

ArathornClone

Oct 10, 2006
Intentional =/= flagrant. Am I wrong? I know they changed the rules somewhat for flagrants this year so I will gladly admit if I'm way off base here. I admitted earlier that the call was borderline. It probably doesn't get called intentional by most refs. All I'm saying is that my first reaction to the play was that Hogue intentionally grabbed Higgins with his left hand because he knew he was beat. I can understand why it was called the way it was even if most refs would have called that just a run-of-the-mill foul.
I already answered this with excerpt from NCAA website. There is no intentional foul nomenclature as there was previously.

An example of a Flagrant 1 foul would be when a player swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders. The team whose player was struck would receive two free throws and possession of the ball. Previously, this type of foul was called an intentional foul. The committee wanted to move away from the word “intentional,â€￾ because a player’s intent was never the point to the rule.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Both ref in each conference. Well until Ed retired.

Higgins has to have reffed more ISU games the past 10-15 years though. I grew up an Iowa fan and suddenly started noticing Higgins calling crap calls against ISU my freshman year in the student section, no idea who he was before then but I grew up watching Hightower. I remember the minute I became an ISU student I kept thinking, this young-looking-but-still-has-a-combover ref is screwing us!

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Actually this is not true....a play on the ball has nothing to do with Intentional fouls. I agree with you that it was not an intentional foul but for different reason. He made the play on the ball and the foul was not excessive or severe. The resulting continuation, but, that could be called on almost every time Kane goes to the rim and ends up on the floor - see definition:

In basketball, a flagrant foul is a serious personal foul. A foul is considered flagrant when it involves excessive or violent contact which could injure the fouled player. It is distinct from an intentional foul, which is a tactic permitted within the game as long as the foul is not considered flagrant.

I STAND CORRECTED....sorry....

Here's the rule 4 of an Intentional foul.....

A foul shall be ruled intentional when a player, while playing the ball, causes excessive contact.

Based on this rule, i now believe it was a correct call.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I have no problem with the call. Hogue grabbed with his left hand and went for the ball with his right. Flame away.
It was the kind of call you should get at home, but we never do. People would have been angry, if KU hadn't got that call. I wouldn't have wanted that call if it would have been turned around on them, but I would take it in order to win the game. Far worse was the one on Ejim.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale

A foul shall be ruled intentional when a player, while playing the ball, causes excessive contact.

Even with the intentional foul rule (which no longer stands) that wasn't an intentional foul.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
The play is part of the highlight package on the ESPN recap of the game. I could see the call going either way possibly. It was certainly a hard foul, you could maybe make the argument that Hogue was going for the ball, but he did it by grabbing onto Wiggins' left shoulder and pulling him so he could bring his right arm around and attempt to hit the ball.

BloodyBuddy

Mar 13, 2012

A foul shall be ruled intentional when a player, while playing the ball, causes contact against KU.

FIFY

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
borderline intentional. still ruined a good close game that was fun to watch up until that point

Nails it on the head. The call could of gone either way. Seen thousands of more intentional fouls not get called that way. Seen other ones get called intentional for less. Typically for them to be intentional there has to be NO play on the ball, and it has to be deadly obvious that no play was made on the ball.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Hogue grabbed him by he face IN the air on a shot......are those of you calling it a crap call not seeing that or choosing to ignore it? Because that's an intentional foul every day.

No its not even if true, as long as a genuine play is made on the ball it is not intentional, and if you call that grabbing the face a lot of those calls should be made.

ExCyment

Jan 8, 2013
Crescent, IA
Personally I have no problem with the intentional foul. Hogue was beat, knew it, and had a hard foul. Rolls reversed we'd want an intentional. I thought the refs actually had a really good game. I normally hate Higgins and crew, but they did a good job tonight. The turning point was when we turned it over TWICE on one end of the floor. That was the ball game. We had a chance to tie it and instead we give up that garbage. We literally "threw" the game away with that inbounds pass.

On that inbounds pass the defender deflected the ball in Kane's hands out of bounds. I'm pretty sure the defenders are not allowed to cross the plane of the out of bounds line on an inbounds play. Any hoby officials know if that is the rule and what should be called if a defender touches the ball before it is in play.

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
I didn't like the intentional foul call, but overall I was surprised at how fairly the game was called. The refs must be negotiating a pay raise from Bill.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
We have been completely screwed by refs in basketball and football, this wasnt even close to what I have seen in the past. Even at first glance the commentator said it was intentional.

1) What do the "commentators" have to do with anything?

2) Please stop using "we" when talking about ISU if that's really you're opinion about this bs call.

Thank you.

Madclone1

Oct 21, 2007
1) What do the "commentators" have to do with anything?

2) Please stop using "we" when talking about ISU if that's really you're opinion about this bs call.

Thank you.

Don't start booing ... Like KU fans. Take a chill pill ... It won't make any difference a 1,000 years from now!

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Good call ref

1551761_10100583645776363_688500632_n.jpg

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
The call only affected the outcome of the game because Kansas scored on the possession after the free throws. They only scored then because we failed to block out on the missed shot and as a result gave them an easy lay in. Had we blocked out on that FG shot and got the rebound, the call would have had no affect at all on the outcome other than running a few more seconds off the clock for the play.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron