Hogue's "Intentional" foul

Cardinal2001

Feb 14, 2007
Ames
I disagree. I am glad he got in the middle of it. Not because Dustin and the KU player he fouled were going at it but because a couple of other KU players were coming after Dustin. Watch the replay.

Just like when Selden stepped over Smart in the KU/OSU game. KU should have a foul from both instances.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Meh. I think it was a bad call, but I don't think it rises to the level of some of the elite screw jobs ISU has received in the past. In my opinion it was a bad call made in the heat of the moment, not some big conspiracy. I believe the rules do allow them to change the call to just a common foul when they go to the monitor, however. That would take some balls in PA after signalling a flagrant.

ISU ****** this down their leg all on their own. Regardless, I'm proud of the heart this team showed throughout the season and last night. Last night, at PA, was a long shot and they were right in it down by 1 with about 4 minutes left. Took a lot of moxie to fight back from down 16 in the first half and another double digit deficit in the second half.

If there was ever a gmae where I'll take defeat and admit we lost to a superior team it was last night. There wasn't much leg ******* going on. I'm not going to call one 1:00 stretch of play with 3 turnovers while currently behind and after being down by as many as 16 in the game ******* a game away. KU had everything to do with everything.

Now if we were up by 16 at one point and ahead at that point and made 3 turnovers, that would be ******* it down our legs.

Last edited:

20isu00

Sep 1, 2013
I disagree. I am glad he got in the middle of it. Not because Dustin and the KU player he fouled were going at it but because a couple of other KU players were coming after Dustin. Watch the replay.

I've seen it many times. The ref pushes hogue into the first row. If ku players were "coming after him" why weren't they given T's?

CloneZone13

Feb 7, 2013
Not blaming the refs at all for losing the game. KU played out of their minds. The good guys played hard, and turned that ball over late. BUT, it always seems like a questionable event happens late in the game when we play KU that completely changes to momentum of the game. Charge/Block no-call, last second bank, intentional foul, etc, etc. I'm just getting tired of it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I've seen it many times. The ref pushes hogue into the first row. If ku players were "coming after him" why weren't they given T's?

A good official doesn't give players technicals for coming at another player jawing, especially after they just saw a hard foul on their teammate. You have to recognize the emotion of the moment and help to make sure it doesn't escalate. The ref defused the situation be being in between the players. He came in and grabbed the player who had committed a hard foul with a lot of contact. I am not necessarily glad that he grabbed Hogue but I understand why he did. I'm glad he was in between when a couple of the other KU players made a move toward Hogue yelling at him. Were their actions deserving of a T? I don't think so. Thankfully the ref was in between so it didn't escalate. If it did, I could see a situation where Dustin feels trapped and pushes them away and gets ejected.

I can't comment on what else Fred saw and asked them to review on the monitor. I didn't see it.

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
What irked me most about the situation was when Self and one of the officials were standing side by side with big smiles on their face not long after the play. I don't believe it to be the case, but it was almost as if Self was saying "thanks for the call" and the official was saying "you're welcome".

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
What irked me most about the situation was when Self and one of the officials were standing side by side with big smiles on their face not long after the play. I don't believe it to be the case, but it was almost as if Self was saying "thanks for the call" and the official was saying "you're welcome".
Oh damn, you cracked the case, that's exactly what they were doing! If only it weren't for you meddling kids they would have gotten away with it too.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
"I sincerely hope they show them what a real intentional foul is here real soon and knock that guy back to Zimbabwe ( non racial)"

I know you said non racial, but it's so blatantly ignorant and racist it needs to be called out. Joel is from Cameroon. Wiggins is from Canada.....

Last edited:

Cpech56

Aug 12, 2012
"I sincerely hope they show them what a real intentional foul is here real soon and knock that guy back to Zimbabwe ( non racial)"

I know you said non racial, but it's so blatantly ignorant and racist it needs to be called out. Joel is from Cameroon. Wiggins is from Canada.....

Heat of the moment, trying to be comical not racist. Sorry if it offended you bra

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don't know if we could have still won the game or not because KU was just on fire all night, but that intentional foul on Hogue was complete BS. He went after the ball all the way. That was horrible, and I can't believe there are actually Cyclone fans on here that think it was the correct call. No way.

And as Fred said after the game, it was a crucial call because KU had a 3 pt lead, and that call made it a 7 pt lead.

But I give our guys credit. They fought really hard and played very well I thought. Not real good defense at times, but they were trying to stay out of foul trouble. But there's no reason that Wiggins should just get to shoot wide open 3's all night with nobody in his face. That was bad.

But overall I thought that if we had played like that all year, we would have been going into last night's game still undefeated. Nobody besides KU in this league could have beat us the way we were playing last night IMO. Not even OSU. Not even KU in the first meeting at Hilton could have beaten us if we played like we did last night IMO. We just ran into a buzz saw.

Reactions: Doc

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I don't know if we could have still won the game or not because KU was just on fire all night, but that intentional foul on Hogue was complete BS. He went after the ball all the way. That was horrible, and I can't believe there are actually Cyclone fans on here that think it was the correct call. No way.

And as Fred said after the game, it was a crucial call because KU had a 3 pt lead, and that call made it a 7 pt lead.

But I give our guys credit. They fought really hard and played very well I thought. Not real good defense at times, but they were trying to stay out of foul trouble. But there's no reason that Wiggins should just get to shoot wide open 3's all night with nobody in his face. That was bad.

But overall I thought that if we had played like that all year, we would have been going into last night's game still undefeated. Nobody besides KU in this league could have beat us the way we were playing last night IMO. Not even OSU. Not even KU in the first meeting at Hilton could have beaten us if we played like we did last night IMO. We just ran into a buzz saw.
KU would have had a 5 point lead and the call and a decision to not block out in any way made it a 7 point lead.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

It's not like they were given 4 points, because they had the free throws coming, and ISU still could have stopped them the next possession.

Otherwise, I agree with you.

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
On that inbounds pass the defender deflected the ball in Kane's hands out of bounds. I'm pretty sure the defenders are not allowed to cross the plane of the out of bounds line on an inbounds play. Any hoby officials know if that is the rule and what should be called if a defender touches the ball before it is in play.

I am surprised more people haven't talked about this. 1st) I felt the KU player guarding the inbound was not giving the proper room. 2nd) I believe the ball was tipped while it was still in Kane's hand which would be a technical.

You can see Kane immediately turn to the ref but nothing was done. This "turnover" (still not convinced it was a clean play) led to the questionable intentional foul. For me it was a complete fail sequence from the refs.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

You realize the play that Self was smirking with the refs was a call that went against KU, right? It was when Embiid got that one handed rebound with Ejim pulling him down and instead of the dunk, the refs called the foul.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012

I believe to be the case.
How many years are you apologists going to keep staring at this in disbelief. WTC7???
These crunch-time calls AND the aforementioned lack of rebounding/defense (when was the last time any of you guys played your hardest for 40 minutes??? This dove-tails into the lack of bench management against our more-talented, longer/stronger competition) caused our good team to lose to the semi-pro ********.

20isu00

Sep 1, 2013
A good official doesn't give players technicals for coming at another player jawing, especially after they just saw a hard foul on their teammate. You have to recognize the emotion of the moment and help to make sure it doesn't escalate. The ref defused the situation be being in between the players. He came in and grabbed the player who had committed a hard foul with a lot of contact. I am not necessarily glad that he grabbed Hogue but I understand why he did. I'm glad he was in between when a couple of the other KU players made a move toward Hogue yelling at him. Were their actions deserving of a T? I don't think so. Thankfully the ref was in between so it didn't escalate. If it did, I could see a situation where Dustin feels trapped and pushes them away and gets ejected.

I can't comment on what else Fred saw and asked them to review on the monitor. I didn't see it.

You could be right. Or the ku players were coming to help there teammate off the floor not really "coming after Dustin" might be why there was no reason for a T, and the ref overreacting to the whole play thought Dustin was going after the ku player and grabbed him immediately before anyone else even had time to react. I couldn't care less that he grabbed hogue, just saying they overreacted to a play that wasn't that big of a deal. This was men's not women's basketball.