Herman will be OSU's OC and QB coach?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I thought he was just going to be OSU's QB coach? ESPN on the bottom of the screen said he was hired to be OSU's OC and QB coach both. If so, that is a great move for him.

I still don't understand what everyone sees in our coaches though? Chizik did nothing here, and he gets Auburn's HC job. Herman produced the worst offense in the Big 12 for 3 years, and he gets hired to be Ohio State's Offensive Coordinator?

Wow. Who would have guessed? I'm actually kinda happy to see who we can get to replace him. I never was too impressed with our 100th best offense in the country.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
Only thing ill miss about Herman is the Texas recruiting. Good for him if true.

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Ya, I saw that too on the ESPN crawl. Cant really question him for taking that position. U could when we all thought it was for the QB coach only.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I think its more that we didn't renew his contract. I also don't think he was Meyers first choice for OC, and was originally brought in just as the QB coach. He really isn't bad, he just hasn't had the talent here. Talent wont be a problem as OSU, and he will also have Meyer to help him improve.

He really is in a great situation now and will probably be a HC in five or so years.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't think talent will be a problem for our next one either though, we've got some young guys who should be stepping up the next few years.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I think its more that we didn't renew his contract. I also don't think he was Meyers first choice for OC, and was originally brought in just as the QB coach. He really isn't bad, he just hasn't had the talent here. Talent wont be a problem as OSU, and he will also have Meyer to help him improve.

He really is in a great situation now and will probably be a HC in five or so years.

I'll be ticked off if I watch OSU next year running all kinds of misdirection and counter plays.... wondering why he didn't do that here!

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I'll be ticked off if I watch OSU next year running all kinds of misdirection and counter plays.... wondering why he didn't do that here!

I'm sure you will see a lot of different things, and it will also have a lot to do with Meyer.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
At OSU he will have the athetes to run the same play 5 times in a row and gain yards.

Apr 19, 2006
yeah I have a feeling he will be in the coaches that went on to do bigger things wall. good luck coach herm.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver

If OSU is running all kinds of misdirection and counter plays next year, I think the reason he didn't do that at ISU will be pretty clear.

OSU is going to be crazy on offense with Herman and Urban Meyer. That innocent, little, defensive-minded conference is going to get an education.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Have you watched any ISU football this year? We've run a TON of counter plays the second half of the season. Big part of our success.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011
If Braxton Miller is more accurate and the WR's actually catch the ball, Coach Herman will do just fine.

At Urban's OSU press conf, Urban said HE would be calling his own plays. Urban really did hire him as QB coach and a strong candidate for OC. Obviously things changed enough on something to name him OC.

It seems Urban brought him on for schemes and game plans. Also, Coach Herman is a good recruiter (which Urban values) and he makes very solid in-game adjustments (in my opinion).

Urban has known since March that the OSU job was his if he wanted it. He was scouting talent, opposing teams (why do you think a MAC, Mountain West, and great SEC coach requested that ESPN put him on calling Big Ten games), and possible coaching staffers all season. Urban has a list of potential coaches and the list fell to Coach Herman.

I for one believe Coach Herman will be given every opportunity to succeed at OSU, just exactly how much will be due to him will be difficult to tell.

isuchicago

Apr 11, 2006
Thats awesome.. good for him. I've always been pretty neutral on who wins the big 10, so I'll root for them as long as he's there. Can't hate the guy for this move.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I am just happy to have the chance to upgrade that coaching position

Me too. I just hope we don't have to take a step backwards again. I don't want to hear how we won't be any good offensively now for a couple years because it will take our guys that long to learn a new system. I'm too impatient to now have to wait another 2-3 years for the offense to click.

I'll never forget that interview with Herman this year after one of our wins when the interviewer gave him some credit for how the offense did that week, and Herman basically said... "well, that's the first compliment I think I've received since I got here." That threw up a HUGE red flag for me. All I could think was that Herman would be leaving at his first chance to do so.

I have a gut feeling that Mr. Rhoads hasn't been all too pleased over the years with the offense's output and probably hasn't been shy about letting Herman know about it. Rhoads is a defensive guy. This offense was 100% Herman's. And it didn't produce. It did in a handful of games this year, but never consistently. And in years one and two it was downright horrible.

I'm thinking that this might have been more of a "mutual" parting than some might think? Obviously, I don't think Rhoads wanted to see Herman go yet, but I also don't think Rhoads could be too happy with this offense's performance either. This defense has kept us in games so many times, and our offense could never keep up their end of the deal. So although I'm sure Rhoads isn't thrilled that Herman left, I think he also is a lot like most of us in that he probably thinks we can do better too. Like everything else, Rhoads will look at this as an opportunity to get even better. No pessimism in Rhoads.