Herman will be OSU's OC and QB coach?

Im4State

Oct 16, 2009
Urbandale
This makes me feel better about TH leaving. Our ISU release says he will coach in bowl game. It also stated the OC/QB part for OSU

iowaboy

Apr 4, 2008
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
If OSU is running all kinds of misdirection and counter plays next year, I think the reason he didn't do that at ISU will be pretty clear.

OSU is going to be crazy on offense with Herman and Urban Meyer. That innocent, little, defensive-minded conference is going to get an education.

Quite the contrary. Rich rod was all about offense and you see where it got him. Meyer has yet to be proven in a situation like this. Out west he was successful yet played in a somewhat weak conf. At Florida he had some great talent no question. SEE GENE CHIZEK!!! Chiz was a failure at ISU yet goes to auburn and wins it all...his first year?

It's all about talent and not as much about coaching for me. OSU while still garnering many talented kids is NOT on the same level as LSU, Alabama, Florida, Texas etc. I feel Meyer will do well but Wisky, Mich, MSU, and in the future Illinois, will still have alot to say how the Big 10 goes. Iowa will not have much success in the near future. It's viewed as "old school" conservative play calling, is NOT what this generation wants.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I think its more that we didn't renew his contract. I also don't think he was Meyers first choice for OC, and was originally brought in just as the QB coach. He really isn't bad, he just hasn't had the talent here. Talent wont be a problem as OSU, and he will also have Meyer to help him improve. He really is in a great situation now and will probably be a HC in five or so years.
I'll be ticked off if I watch OSU next year running all kinds of misdirection and counter plays.... wondering why he didn't do that here!

You clearly have no idea what a counter play is or you didn't watch any of our games. JFC there is some terrible posters here.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I for one believe Coach Herman will be given every opportunity to succeed at OSU, just exactly how much will be due to him will be difficult to tell.

This. If OSU's offense quickly becomes a juggernaut, and it likely will, I look forward to all the posts here talking about how great Tom Herman is and how we should have locked him up with a great contract here. However, Urban Meyer will be heavily involved in the offense, there is no doubt about that. I think it would be best if everyone here simply realizes that there will be no way to tell how much Herman will be responsible for any success that OSU does have on offense.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Quite the contrary. Rich rod was all about offense and you see where it got him. Meyer has yet to be proven in a situation like this. Out west he was successful yet played in a somewhat weak conf. At Florida he had some great talent no question. SEE GENE CHIZEK!!! Chiz was a failure at ISU yet goes to auburn and wins it all...his first year?

It's all about talent and not as much about coaching for me. OSU while still garnering many talented kids is NOT on the same level as LSU, Alabama, Florida, Texas etc. I feel Meyer will do well but Wisky, Mich, MSU, and in the future Illinois, will still have alot to say how the Big 10 goes. Iowa will not have much success in the near future. It's viewed as "old school" conservative play calling, is NOT what this generation wants.

To be fair it wa Chizik's second year.

I really can't blame Herman at all for leaving now. He's definitely going to have more resources at his disposal.

Last edited:

kilroy

Jun 10, 2010
hills to flat lands
I know heavy recruiting and bowl prep are happening now but any body want throw a guess when we'll hear of a new hire? I would think that would help with our recruiting or hurt it if we dont have one.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Urban Meyer is going to be running that Offense. He needs someone to execute his plan, not to bring in a system. Tom has a good resume, experience and similar philosophy. Tom is going to learn a lot from Meyer, and if the O is a juggernaut it will be due more to Meyer than Herman(not hating on Herman, but I believe Meyer called the pays at Florida). This is going to be an awesome stepping stone to a HC gig for Herman, and completely understand his taking it.

I am excited to see who we bring in. It will be mutually beneficial parting IMO.

danvillecyclone

Dec 8, 2011

Rich Rod had decent success offensively. The problem was Defense. They couldn't stop anybody that was any good. Also, RR offense is a different version than Urban's spread. Urban has a more power/ball control version. Also, Braxton Miller WILL win the Heisman. Part of the reason Urban chose to go to OSU is Braxton.

Coach Herman is in a good situation.

nebCLONE

Oct 8, 2009
Omaha
Losing Herman will hurt short term IMO....half step backward I'm afraid.

It will definitely hurt short term if we hire someone from outside who has to install a new offense, establish new relationships, with players and coaches each, etc.

If we were to hire from within (like Messingham) these things would not have to happen. The long-term benefits of bringing in a new mind could be more beneficial than the short-term benefits of staying in house, but no one really knows at this point.

Glad its CPR making the decision.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
It will definitely hurt short term if we hire someone from outside who has to install a new offense, establish new relationships, with players and coaches each, etc.

That's why the OC will have a similar offense and likely be someone with connections with our staff.

Sandman

Oct 13, 2009
France

No way. OSU is just as prestigious as any of those teams. They're the class of the Big 10 and can compete with recruits with anybody, especially with Urban Meyer at the head. I hope Herman does well and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Bucks do against the rest of the Big 10.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
No way. OSU is just as prestigious as any of those teams. They're the class of the Big 10 and can compete with recruits with anybody, especially with Urban Meyer at the head. I hope Herman does well and I'm looking forward to seeing how the Bucks do against the rest of the Big 10.

If OSU stubs their toe, it will be Herman's butt (and fast) not Meyer.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Agreed. Can't let the B1G bias cloud the judgment of how much of an impact Meyer will have at tOSU. They will be back to playing for championships in no time. Glad to see Herman get a shot to learn some pointers from Meyer, and I have no doubt he will be a successful coach under his tutelage. Will cheer for tOSU to clean it up and get back in it to keep things competitive. Obviously cheer for Big12 first (until we are stable and I can hate every team again).

I agree too with the Messingham supporters, but we definitely need someone in here with him to ADD to and compliment our system (not CHANGE). Is Messingham up to being the primary play caller? Would love to also bring in a young-gun with some inventive ideas like Scott Frost from Oregon.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Herman will be heading to Ohio State after the Cyclones' New Era Pinstripe Bowl game ...........

So much for being all in. Guess it just applies to the players.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
If OSU stubs their toe, it will be Herman's butt (and fast) not Meyer.

After watching them for years, I doubt tOSU would fire a OC/QB coach due to beginning offensive struggles...especially with Meyer at the helm. They pride themselves on staff continuity and retention. I think Herman will be fine...he's ultimately got Meyer as a screen since he is an offensive minded head coach. It is a good move.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Herman will be heading to Ohio State after the Cyclones' New Era Pinstripe Bowl game ...........

If we only hired coaches for whom ISU was their dream, destination job, then we wouldn't be able to get the quality of coaches we have. It's just a fact right now. Huge congrats to Coach Herman for being able to move up to a program like Ohio State. I hope that in time Iowa State can approach that sort of level and become a true destination for many coaches.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I think this clears up the motive behind the move now, makes a lot more sense that he was in the running for the OC position there. Still don't understand anyone who thinks he is a bad coach, but if you want to argue with Urban Meyer be my guest.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I think its more that we didn't renew his contract. I also don't think he was Meyers first choice for OC, and was originally brought in just as the QB coach. He really isn't bad, he just hasn't had the talent here. Talent wont be a problem as OSU, and he will also have Meyer to help him improve.

He really is in a great situation now and will probably be a HC in five or so years.
All said and done, good for him. I really think he needs an accurate throwing qb to bring the offense to life. We are getting there, but JB deeper down the field needs work to become a threat. I remember Nebby that had a qb that never completed a ball deep one time, and the defenses were stacked at the line against them. We will get better next year.

Last edited:

isudoc03

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 25, 2006

What? Is he supposed to stay forever? He got an opportunity at a bigger program and he is taking it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron