Herman will be OSU's OC and QB coach?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I still don't understand what everyone sees in our coaches though? Chizik did nothing here, and he gets Auburn's HC job and wins a NC. Herman produced the worst offense in the Big 12 for 3 years, and he gets hired to be Ohio State's Offensive Coordinator?
fify.

You might want, unfortunately, to consider the common denominator.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
What? Is he supposed to stay forever? He got an opportunity at a bigger program and he is taking it.

Agreed, but if I'm CPR, I think I'd have a hard time getting my players to buy into the "all in" philosophy that I'm preaching when I'm allowing my OC to coach them in the bowl game after he's already said he's moving onto bigger and better things.

If there's a way we could part ways with Herman now without damaging our chances of winning in New York, that's exactly what I'd do. Otherwise, the "all in" philosophy seems a little hypocritical.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Agreed, but if I'm CPR, I think I'd have a hard time getting my players to buy into the "all in" philosophy that I'm preaching when I'm allowing my OC to coach them in the bowl game after he's already said he's moving onto bigger and better things.

If there's a way we could part ways with Herman now without damaging our chances of winning in New York, that's exactly what I'd do. Otherwise, the "all in" philosophy seems a little hypocritical.

How? Herman is all in for this season. Hell, he was all in for the length of his contract (he is not breaking it - it expires after the season).

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
How? Herman is all in for this season. Hell, he was all in for the length of his contract (he is not breaking it - it expires after the season).

Herman made a decision that he has every right to make, Nobody is arguing that. He's decided that he'd rather be part of the Ohio State program after this season than to continue to be part of the Iowa State program. Most objective people would have difficulty arguing the wisdom of that decision.

As the ISU head coach, if I could afford to part ways with Herman now without damaging my team's chances of winning the bowl game, that's exactly what I'd do. Otherwise, how can I ask my players to be "all in" when one of my coaches obviously is not?

The only exception I can think of is if I knew that I wasn't going to renew Herman's contract after this season. Then I could understand allowing him to finish this season, but only if I felt that doing so gave my team the best chance of winning its bowl game.

Goldfinger

Nov 5, 2009
Its a great move for Tom Herman, OC at Ohio State may make close to a million, it bolsters his resume and he gets to work for Urban Meyer. He will now have worked with Mac Brown, Paul Rhoads and Urban Meyer, building a nice resume that will enable him to be a head coach someday/

My hope is he doesn't take Grant Rohach with him, not sure how OSU is sitting for QB recruits. I know Rohach has Iowa ties, but a scholie offer to OSU is pretty tempting for any kid. I also hope we don't lose any more of the staff.

I hate to have to start with a new OC.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Your name ought to be "Luke Fickle" if this would keep you from thinking CPR can't keep an "all in" philosophy going into the bowl game.

I expect that TH is still going to be "all in" as a thank you for CPR giving him this opportunity which will be a huge step forward in his career.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
Your name ought to be "Luke Fickle" if this would keep you from thinking CPR can't keep an "all in" philosophy going into the bowl game.

I expect that TH is still going to be "all in" as a thank you for CPR giving him this opportunity which will be a huge step forward in his career.

You think I'm fickle? I think you're naive. TH's #1 priority is now OSU not ISU.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
My hope is he doesn't take Grant Rohach with him, not sure how OSU is sitting for QB recruits. I know Rohach has Iowa ties, but a scholie offer to OSU is pretty tempting for any kid.

Ohio State has Braxton Miller whom Urban Meyer was raving about during last years signing day when he was working for ESPN, in addition to four other QB's on the Roster. They've also got another quarterback committed in this class, so I don't think he's going to be offer Rohach.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
You think I'm fickle? I think you're naive. TH's #1 priority is now OSU not ISU.

TH is a professional. He will be trying his damnedest to do a good job IMO. Otherwise he looks bad. It would not be in OSU's best interests for TH to lay an egg in his last stint as the OC. So look for TH to give his absolute best effort. He is not leaving on unpleasant terms IMO.

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Herman made a decision that he has every right to make, Nobody is arguing that. He's decided that he'd rather be part of the Ohio State program after this season than to continue to be part of the Iowa State program. Most objective people would have difficulty arguing the wisdom of that decision.

As the ISU head coach, if I could afford to part ways with Herman now without damaging my team's chances of winning the bowl game, that's exactly what I'd do. Otherwise, how can I ask my players to be "all in" when one of my coaches obviously is not?

The only exception I can think of is if I knew that I wasn't going to renew Herman's contract after this season. Then I could understand allowing him to finish this season, but only if I felt that doing so gave my team the best chance of winning its bowl game.

I'm curious, do you think the "all in" philosophy is being violated because Herman took another job, or because Rhoads is letting him coach in a game after he says he is going to leave?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

Me and CPR! I like being in his company. I hardly think that he is naive in this matter. I'm just aligning my judgment with his. And while yours may be more conventional wisdom, I don't think he would keep him around unless he was convinced that he was "all in."

P.S. I'm mostly joking about being "fickle" because with the name of Ohio State's interim coach, I could.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

Has anyone ever accused you of overthinking things?

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
I'm curious, do you think the "all in" philosophy is being violated because Herman took another job, or because Rhoads is letting him coach in a game after he says he is going to leave?

I won't pretend that I know better than CPR what is best for our program. I'm just a fan and he's one he'll of a coach. But I know what "all in" means. It means you are TOTALLY committed to the success of our program and you put the team's success ahead of everything else. I just don't see how TH can be "all in" when his car is will be idling outside Yankee Stadium. But it looks like I may be among the minority on this - I'm okay with that. I'll still be screaming my lungs out in Yankee Stadium on Dec. 30th.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I won't pretend that I know better than CPR what is best for our program. I'm just a fan and he's one he'll of a coach. But I know what "all in" means. It means you are TOTALLY committed to the success of our program and you put the team's success ahead of everything else. I just don't see how TH can be "all in" when his car is will be idling outside Yankee Stadium. But it looks like I may be among the minority on this - I'm okay with that. I'll still be screaming my lungs out in Yankee Stadium on Dec. 30th.

If you don't think that Herman wants to give his players a W to end their season, you are crazy. He will be "TOTALLY committed" on 12/30.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

I'm afraid this Herman guy is going to seize this opportunity to slack off his job.
I'll be worried sick between now and December 30.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Every eyeball in the state of Ohio is going to be watching our bowl game with intense interest. TH knows this. Laying an egg would NOT be a good start to his new gig. I'd be surprised if this didn't light a fire under him. That said our offense isn't really that great and RU is pretty salty on defense so we may struggle no matter our much effort TH puts in. Our defense is going to have to play at thier end of the year levels for us to win imo.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
If CPR wanted to be petty and send TH off before the bowl game he would be forfeiting any development that that offense could make in the Bowl practices. We need every offensive coach we can get during those 15 extra practices, especially the QB coach and OC.

Remember, the coaches always rave about the advantages of the extra bowl practices. CPR is a defensive guy and he knows the value of having good offensive coaches to work with his kids.

I don't doubt the commitment of TH at all. This bowl game will be big for him and his players.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I hope none of you wanting CPR to immediately cut ties manage people. As a manager it is my responsibility to hire the right people and develop them so they flower in their positions and give their best to the organization. What I owe to those people is to develop them so they grow beyond the position to take on bigger things (with in or outside the organization). Managers who feel betrayed or butt hurt by someone moving up and on are just ridiculous and petty. Others see this and word gets around to the next up and comers that they should really think twice before working for this manager.

This is especially true in the tightknit and very public college coaching fraternity.