Gundy Meeting W/Tennessee

IAStubborn

Aug 16, 2012
How many coaches go and talk to another school and then just come back?

Is this more common than I realize? I know it doesn't seem to be as public.
Contracts usually require notification if you are going to speak to another school. It isn't that uncommon.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Maybe Tennessee should consider contacting Bo Pelini. Just a thought.
giphy.gif
Pelini won't take a head coaching job anytime soon. He is coaching at Youngstown State for a minimal salary to stick it to Nebraska. Nebraska has to pay the difference in salary between his old head coach salary and his new Youngstown State salary.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
In a few days the only willing and remaining option on the table will be to hire Peyton. Just think of the added perk of their stadium concessions becoming entirely Papa John's vendors.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
In a few days the only willing and remaining option on the table will be to hire Peyton. Just think of the added perk of their stadium concessions becoming entirely Papa John's vendors.

But he stuck his ass in a trainer's face.

He couldn't get a job on the Today Show much less a coaching slot

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Sounds like their top target now is Brohm. That would suck for Purdue as it looks like he has that program headed in the right direction.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Free advice for the AD... STF until you have a signed contract now dumb ass. Also I'm available for a measly $900,000 / year.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Gundy wants to leave the impression that he is willing to talk for future openings. He was never going to take the Tennessee job but if the right school came calling I think he would leave OSU just based off of his relationship with the AD.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
Gundy wants to leave the impression that he is willing to talk for future openings. He was never going to take the Tennessee job but if the right school came calling I think he would leave OSU just based off of his relationship with the AD.

I agree with your point but couldn't he get that message out through more quiet avenues vs. whoring himself out in a very public visit to UT? The optics on this whole thing are awkward enough for him and OSU without adding in the debacle that is Tennessee over the past few days. You have to wonder if the one he is actually waiting on is going to be a little nervous about him when/if the time does come when he's actually ready to pull the trigger.

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
I agree with your point but couldn't he get that message out through more quiet avenues vs. whoring himself out in a very public visit to UT? The optics on this whole thing are awkward enough for him and OSU without adding in the debacle that is Tennessee over the past few days. You have to wonder if the one he is actually waiting on is going to be a little nervous about him when/if the time does come when he's actually ready to pull the trigger.
I'm not sure taking a meeting in Dallas is "whoring himself" Media blew the whole thing up, trying to get the scoop

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I'm just frustrated with the "get the scoop" mentality at the loss of fact or basis for knowledge.

And fan bases do this to themselves, whipping up the frenzy

For sure. Side tangent... I'm still stunned that any percentage of Tennessee fans thought they had any shot at Gruden and set their expectations from there. I used to think Tennessee could still be a good job but they, from the AD (at least if not higher) to the fans, have completely screwed themselves over. Money may fix some of it, but I can't imagine they have any chance of hiring the Moby **** candidate that they all seem to think is out there somewhere, and they'll have to vastly overpay for whoever they end up with.

• Agree
Reactions: CycoCyclone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron