Gundy Meeting W/Tennessee

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
Sounds like their top target now is Brohm. That would suck for Purdue as it looks like he has that program headed in the right direction.

Hey Purdue:

tumblr_ml6462MMiM1qhwgauo2_250.gif

• Funny
Reactions: CycoCyclone

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
There was an article linked above where a while back Gundy says he expects to be run off by the OSU athletic administration. Now, he goes for a well-publicized (whether it was intentional or not) visit with Tennessee to discuss a coaching job. Does that not hurt his recruiting and stability of his program at OSU? It just seems an odd way to behave, and if I were an OSU fan, it would probably tick me off.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
For sure. Side tangent... I'm still stunned that any percentage of Tennessee fans thought they had any shot at Gruden and set their expectations from there. I used to think Tennessee could still be a good job but they, from the AD (at least if not higher) to the fans, have completely screwed themselves over. Money may fix some of it, but I can't imagine they have any chance of hiring the Moby **** candidate that they all seem to think is out there somewhere, and they'll have to vastly overpay for whoever they end up with.

I think that whole debacle with Greg Schiano really hurt them, too. If I was a candidate for the Tennessee job I'd wonder who exactly was running things there. The AD got pushed around by one jerkass radio personality and a lunatic fringe of the fanbase.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Sounds like the rumor mill is backing off of that one as premature. Purdue coach was apparently in home with a recruit today and told the recruit he wasn't going anywhere (for what it's worth).

If he's smart he'll stay put and wait for a better opportunity down the line. Tennessee just isn't that great of a job anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
There was an article linked above where a while back Gundy says he expects to be run off by the OSU athletic administration. Now, he goes for a well-publicized (whether it was intentional or not) visit with Tennessee to discuss a coaching job. Does that not hurt his recruiting and stability of his program at OSU? It just seems an odd way to behave, and if I were an OSU fan, it would probably tick me off.

I'd think he could use it to his advantage. Something like "Hey, Tennessee offered to pay me $8MM per year, but oSu is so much better all around that I'm staying here for half that."

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'd think he could use it to his advantage. Something like "Hey, Tennessee offered to pay me $8MM per year, but oSu is so much better all around that I'm staying here for half that."
He can try but people who think about it realize that he went to the trouble of flying to big D for an interview with him. People may say well it was a courtesy visit, but you can go a lot further toward not burning bridges by saying to an AD who calls you "It is intriguing but this isn't the right time to make a move for me. Please keep me in mind if you have a vacancy down the road" rather then making the AD fly halfway across the country and make you a ridiculously large offer only to say, "Nah, I don't think so, but thanks for the negotiation hammer for my next contract."

• Agree
Reactions: jbhtexas

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
He can try but people who think about it realize that he went to the trouble of flying to big D for an interview with him. People may say well it was a courtesy visit, but you can go a lot further toward not burning bridges by saying to an AD who calls you "It is intriguing but this isn't the right time to make a move for me. Please keep me in mind if you have a vacancy down the road" rather then making the AD fly halfway across the country and make you a ridiculously large offer only to say, "Nah, I don't think so, but thanks for the negotiation hammer for my next contract."

No doubt he's got other reasons for taking the meeting. I'm just speculating he can put a positive spin on it to recruits fairly easily.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron