Grinnell College Player Scores 138 Points

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
Everybody needs to go see a Grinnell College bball once in their life!! So awesome! And his teammates wanted him to score. I'll share the link with his interview with ESPN.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Good for him. I'm amused by some of the outcry on this and people that are just plain mad. It's just a game and they choose to play a different style. Doesn't take away from what Wilt did in his day.

No one freaks over the type of offensive stats Texas Tech and a few others put up...

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Re: It's what the Pioneers do!

They normally have a game like this each year where someone gets to set a record (I saw the most assists ever by a single player, and saw a player drop 78). It helps with recruiting at a D3 school.

And what was everyone talking about last night and today? This.

Good move by the coach to get Grinnell the publicity.

83Clone

Apr 27, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Keep in mind Grinnell is D3 and they were playing Faith Bible College which is prob akin to ISU playing Grinnell. It was a glorified scrimmage.

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
What is the key to slowing/stopping this type of offense?

Foul before they shoot, so they are only getting a max of 2 points at the line? Bring in a goon who's only job is to foul their worst FT shooter.
Instead of falling for the fast break bait, once across half court, actually run an offense and slow the game down?
OR
Just play solid defense and block out?

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
Basically play solid defense and box out. And hope GC has a poor shooting night. The system is based on percentages and meaning on a giving night about 35-40% of the threes are going to go in, so keep shooting. GC subs about ever 40 sec and have full court pressure all game. The motto is they will trade twos for threes all day. Everybody on the team can shoot the three ball and most are good ft shooters because of it. It's must see basketball at least once in your life and admission is FREE.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
The guy scored 58 in the first half and went on to score 80 in the second half. How did the other coach not make some defensive adjustments?

Also I think it is more impressive the guy on the other team scored 70 pts on 34 for 44 shooting.

Nov 6, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
All this tells me, where both teams have a guy scoring a ridiculous amount of points is that Grinnell (and Faith Baptist to a lesser extent, as it just seems that they got throttled) basketball is like Big 12 football, defense is optional.

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
The guy with 70 was cherry picking underneath the hoop. When Faith Baptist broke the press the threw it time him under the basket for a layup. That's why his shooting % is so high. And when teams go for quick layups like that it helps GC because it keeps the high pace going. Every team GC plays has a career scoring night against them. Due to the high pace.

docholihawk

Oct 9, 2012
clear lake
A few other facts of the game. The rest of the Grinnell team shot the ball 27 times in the game. The opponent had 49, count them, 49 turnovers. The sad part is Faith Baptist Bible College had a player who scored 70 points in the game. 70 points is an incredible night and nobody is even talking about him. Watching ESPN First Take listening to Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith bash this. When Kobe took an incredible large amount of shots and scored 81 against Toronto a few years ago, they were praising him constantly saying he was the only one who could give them a chance to win, etc.. These people that do these kind of shows or write blogs, journalist, and I use the term loosely, generally don't have a clue what they're talking about, don't do any research, etc. I doubt if the people at First Take didn't check to see how different the team in Grinnell is as opposed to what is considered normal.

Gtown25

Oct 12, 2011
Grinnell, IA
The best comparison was give Chip Kelly a basketball and heroin and then you get Grinnell College basketball. It is a unique playing style that you can only fully comprehend by going to the games, knowing past and current players, and knowing the coach. The hardest thing Coach Arseneault deals with is finding people to keep stats for the games, I know I couldnt do it.

ISUME

Mar 13, 2012
The best comparison was give Chip Kelly a basketball and heroin and then you get Grinnell College basketball. It is a unique playing style that you can only fully comprehend by going to the games, knowing past and current players, and knowing the coach. The hardest thing Coach Arseneault deals with is finding people to keep stats for the games, I know I couldnt do it.

I think you mean cocaine.