Greg McElroy: 'Ludicrous' to call Iowa State football a top-four team

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Do national pundits really not understand this is just a computer metric? This isn't the AP rating us #4 preseason.
It wouldn't matter either way. The point is still the same regardless of whether it is an opinion poll or a formula driven rating index. Whether the point is accurate or not is to be determined. In my opinion, Iowa State has the potential to be a Top 4 team, but I seriously doubt it will shake out that way. One toe stub before Iowa State plays @ Oklahoma in November, and Top 4 is probably out the window for Iowa State.

Last edited:
Reactions: motorcy90

4theheckofit

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 13, 2013
I've been thinking about expectations and I honestly want them to be motivated during lifting/spring ball....then hyper focused as fall hits.

They are kids, so they'll see Twitter, GameDay, ESPN and all the chatter. I love our staff and their calm/expect to win attitudes and each week we will be favored (maybe not OU)....so blocking other noise (or choosing to use it) will be a unique challenge as the CFB hype train keeps.rolling!

Side note, if we are top 5 going into season...I want to open with a 20 pt win vs UNI. ☺

50 or 60 pt win....and that has nothing to do with the CFB Playoffs....I want to send that arrogant ass hat, wanna be Kirk Ferentz Farley back to Cedar Falls crying and asking for a safe space while he finally admits that Iowa State is a better program and better run program than his beloved Hawkeyes....errr..Panthers.

Reactions: CapnCy

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Hint: It wouldn't matter, the poll will still be heavily biased towards certain teams whether it's pre season or week 5.
Correct. Polls (like the Harris Poll in the BCS days) still had the same general ranking once they started as the AP. The only thing a late starting poll does is avoid early season embarrassments of having trendy teams ranked too high that fall flat on their faces out of the gate.

Reactions: Aclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's all just talk. On both the plus and minus side. Only thing that actually matters is scoreboard. We can take another step in proving ourselves by not tripping on our own shoelaces in the opener next fall like we seem to do more years than not. On paper there is no excuse for not opening with something decisive.

• Winner
Reactions: AlaCyclone

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
McElroy has a hard on for Iowa state as does his clone Reece Davis

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
This is exactly why a 4 team playoff is really bad for college football. Say what you want about Kirk Herbsteit but he railed on this last year. College football/ESPN NEEDS a couple Iowa States or Indiana's every year. It can't just be about a hand full of teams and four spots, it is really killing parity. OU, Bama, tOSU, UGA, and Clemson have really separated themselves from the rest of the pack and it's all because of the 4 team format. You have to spread the wealth or it's going to be a real problem for ESPN and the TV contract they have signed for the playoffs. people will quit tuning in.

Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So his reason was because ISU didn’t win by large enough margins, but Ohio St did? Lol.. OSU only beat 2 ranked teams, Indiana by 7 and Northwestern by 12. I think Greg has an issue with the name on the front of the jersey more than anything.

Most of them do and will forever.

Iirc one of the ESPN talking heads mocked Okie State for losing to ISU with the message of 'If you want to be in the real conversation, don't lose to Iowa State' when you know they would not have said the same thing about Iowa or Nebraska that season even though they both were pretty marginal.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
I like McElroy and think he's one of the better analysts out there. But this take saying the '21 Cyclones statistically being ranked #4 preseason as ludicrous is well-- ludicrous.

I don't have an issue if McE has Iowa State at #5 or #10, but his ludicrous term says ISU shouldn't even be in the conversation. And immediately going to fellow blueblood Ohio State without a known QB is a lazy fallback.

Should be an interesting year again for The Bear.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Most times when I read one of these rant threads about some talking heads hot take I have to Google to see who the **** the talking head is. No exception here. So some ESPN ex-SEC chowderhead that some peeps really listen to or watch?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
"5 of their 9 wins were decided by a TD or less"

First of all it was 4 of the 9 unless I'm looking at something wrong. And of those four, one was against OU and the other was at Texas. Hell the other two were at TCU and a big come from behind game against Baylor after playing like dog **** the first half.

What a lazy take
Thanks for letting me know I don’t have to give him the traffic of my clicking on the link. I appreciate it!

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Reactions: Jerms

jrastrel

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
Overall this wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Although one thing that I really don't like is them mentioning quality of starters and then failing to mention anything about All American and First team All Big 12 players returning. If they look at the starters, they will see a large chunk of our starters to be in that group.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think I got him mixed up with AJ McCarron though. There may not be a good thing about McElroy...
I think you did too. However, for reference purposes for those unaware:
3rk9oghi.gif

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think it's hilarious we still don't know how good Ohio State would have been last year. They only played HALF a season. Six games. That's all they played.

A lot of 1, 2, and 3 loss teams throughout college football history would be undefeated if they only had to play half of their season.

It was a joke they were even eligible for the playoff even if they had won every game by 70 points.

20eyes

May 15, 2020
This is exactly why a 4 team playoff is really bad for college football. Say what you want about Kirk Herbsteit but he railed on this last year. College football/ESPN NEEDS a couple Iowa States or Indiana's every year. It can't just be about a hand full of teams and four spots, it is really killing parity. OU, Bama, tOSU, UGA, and Clemson have really separated themselves from the rest of the pack and it's all because of the 4 team format. You have to spread the wealth or it's going to be a real problem for ESPN and the TV contract they have signed for the playoffs. people will quit tuning in.

That ship has sailed. Americans want NFL lite. They clamor for "one true champion" and discard the tradition and importance of the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc. College football was great when the traditional bowl champs could claim or dispute a national championship with the help of thoughtful and professional sports writers...

Now, sports media is in the toilet, the bowls are placeholders for the playoff, and paying players will widen the gap between haves / have nots to the point that a 32 team CFB league will split from the the NCAA to mirror the NFL and be their AAA system.

Last edited:

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
"5 of their 9 wins were decided by a TD or less"

First of all it was 4 of the 9 unless I'm looking at something wrong. And of those four, one was against OU and the other was at Texas. Hell the other two were at TCU and a big come from behind game against Baylor after playing like dog **** the first half.

What a lazy take

Right, and it's like these national pundits already forgot about bowl season already too. The Big 12 was the BEST league in the nation. 5 and ******* 0 in bowl games.

Not to mention that ISU boat raced Oregon in the FIESTA BOWL.