frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
I think you did too. However, for reference purposes for those unaware:
3rk9oghi.gif
You post the best research @JM4CY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That ship has sailed. Americans wants NFL lite. They clamor for "one true champion" and discard the tradition and importance of the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, Cotton Bowl, etc. College football was great when the traditional bowl champs could claim or dispute a national championship with the help of thoughtful and professional sports writers...

Now, sports media is in the toilet, the bowls are placeholders for the playoff, and paying players will widen the gap between haves / have nots to the point that a 32 team CFB league will split from the the NCAA to mirror the NFL and be their AAA system.

A 16 or 32 team playoff would be more like the NFL. In terms of #s college football is like if the NFL only had a 1 or 2 team playoff.

8 is perfect for college football. It would give real access to every conference, and it would still make every game count in the regular season. There have been a few times that the #5 team before bowls has ended up having a National Championship claim but the #9 team never has.

Look at this year's NCAA tournament. If it had been four teams it would have been 2 Big Ten teams that in reality weren't very good, a Big 12 team that did win NC convincingly and Gonzaga who belonged. Zero Pac 12 teams. Turns out the Pac 12 was very good and the Big Ten completely sucked.

The top 8 seeds in the basketball tournament need to be spread around better, it's a total joke that half of them went to a complete dog**** conference this year. Likewise 8 spots where each major conference gets a spot would help nullify any ridiculous homerism for one conference.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
ISU wouldn't have lost to them last season and they won't this year either.

We will absolutely man handle UNI this year. We already have an identity, this team will be ready to roll week one. I can see the UNI game being a 41-10 type game. Week two I think we beat Iowa by 10-14 points. 9/11 is going to be a real reality check for the Hawks, they have NEVER seen an Iowa State team that can line up in the trenches with team on both sides of the ball. Remember, this will also be the first true road start for Petras...

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I think it's hilarious we still don't know how good Ohio State would have been last year. They only played HALF a season. Six games. That's all they played.

A lot of 1, 2, and 3 loss teams throughout college football history would be undefeated if they only had to play half of their season.

It was a joke they were even eligible for the playoff even if they had won every game by 70 points.

They did beat one playoff team that had completed a full season last year, so this argument is muted a bunch.

BMWallace

SuperFanatic
Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
We will absolutely man handle UNI this year. We already have an identity, this team will be ready to roll week one. I can see the UNI game being a 41-10 type game. Week two I think we beat Iowa by 10-14 points. 9/11 is going to be a real reality check for the Hawks, they have NEVER seen an Iowa State team that can line up in the trenches with team on both sides of the ball. Remember, this will also be the first true road start for Petras...
Its also worth noting that UNI just got done with their delayed Spring season two weeks ago. They have like 3 months before summer workouts start. That really isn't a lot of time to heal up.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Its also worth noting that UNI just got done with their delayed Spring season two weeks ago. They have like 3 months before summer workouts start. That really isn't a lot of time to heal up.
They had some pretty significant injury issues as well I believe.

• Agree
Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
They did beat one playoff team that had completed a full season last year, so this argument is muted a bunch.

They looked like a top 4 team when they got in, but they only got in the playoff because they are "Ohio State".

If Purdue or NW or Iowa was 6-0 in the same conference they are out when most of college football played almost twice as many games.

This is the same committee that recently said 12 games disqualifies a team because they need to have 13 games to know how good a team really is. So 12 vs 13 was of absolute importance but 6 vs 11 was somehow meaningless.

I only bring it up because someone was going nuts about how great Ohio State was last year. Even if they were great, if they had to play five more games there's a good statistical chance they lose a game or two rather than go 11-0.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I just love when these analysts complain about no parity in CFB but they also hate whenever non blue bloods have success. It's just incredible.
Most analysts and commentators don't truly want parity in college football. What they really want is more parity among the blue bloods. Basically, take the teams that have made the CFP, add Michigan, USC, Miami, Texas, Tennessee, Penn St, Florida, and Nebraska. Let those teams split the bids and none of them would ever call to expand the CFP again.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I don't know why it is so hard for even their own analysts to understand that no one is calling ISU a top 4 team. It's a predictive rating system. It's not biased. It's based on numbers. You may disagree with the model, but at least base your argument around that fact rather than calling straw men "ludicrous".

A lot of our fans don't understand this either. It's embarrassing how many comments I see on Facebook and Twitter thinking the FPI is a preseason poll. Going to be a lot of confused Cyclones when the actual polls come out and we're #9. A lot of our grievances as a fanbase come from an embarrassing ignorance, but I suppose that's true of all fanbases.

Reactions: Aclone

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
A lot of our fans don't understand this either. It's embarrassing how many comments I see on Facebook and Twitter thinking the FPI is a preseason poll. Going to be a lot of confused Cyclones when the actual polls come out and we're #9. A lot of our grievances as a fanbase come from an embarrassing ignorance, but I suppose that's true of all fanbases.
I think I've identified the problem.

Reactions: Acylum

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
It wouldn't matter either way. The point is still the same regardless of whether it is an opinion poll or a formula driven rating index. Whether the point is accurate or not is to be determined. In my opinion, Iowa State has the potential to be a Top 4 team, but I seriously doubt it will shake out that way. One toe stub before Iowa State plays @ Oklahoma in November, and Top 4 is probably out the window for Iowa State.
Yeah I get that, but it would at least make more sense. This he is just getting upset at computer data, lol.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

The game threads this season are going to be a disaster

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Yeah I get that, but it would at least make more sense. This he is just getting upset at computer data, lol.
I'm not a fan of the FPI pre-season data, but I do agree that GMac being more annoyed about Iowa State being in the Top 4 instead of Mississippi State being in the Top 10 (like Pollack mentioned) is more ludicrous. :)

I like GMac as an analyst, and he is generally fair and good natured about Iowa State. I bet as the season goes along, he will toot Iowa State's horn if they get through September undefeated.

Either way, opinions are like arse-holes. Some stink more than others!

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think it's hilarious we still don't know how good Ohio State would have been last year. They only played HALF a season. Six games. That's all they played.

A lot of 1, 2, and 3 loss teams throughout college football history would be undefeated if they only had to play half of their season.

It was a joke they were even eligible for the playoff even if they had won every game by 70 points.

They proved their chops v. Clemson.

Last edited: