Greg McElroy: 'Ludicrous' to call Iowa State football a top-four team

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
I don't think there should be poll Top 25's until after the 2nd or 3rd week. Let teams play a few games first.
This is such an Iowa State thing to say. Now that we are Projected to be ranked the highest in the program’s history you come out with that take? Lol.

Reactions: Aclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I agree with the spirit of your thread, but a couple of things.

The SEC requires every team to play at least one P5 OOC game, so the feasting on 4 cupcakes thing is nonsense. In the 6 Alabama National Championship seasons under Saban, Alabama has played the following P5 OOC teams in the Regular Season: Virginia Tech (ACC) @ Atlanta in 2009, @ Penn State (B1G) in 2011, Michigan (B1G) @ Arlington in 2012, Wisconsin (B1G) @ Arlington in 2015, Florida State (ACC) in 2017 - all by double digits.

They did not play a P5 OOC last year (U.S.C. @ Arlington was scheduled), but they did play a 10 game SEC Regular Season Schedule + Florida in the SEC Championship Game. The only two SEC teams they missed last year were the two worst teams in the league (Vanderbilt and South Carolina). So, they beat 11 SEC teams + Notre Dame (ACC) + Ohio State (B1G) to finish (13-0) in 2020.

fyi: They are slated to open vs. Miami (Fla.) (ACC) @ Atlanta this year and play @ Florida from the SEC East two weeks later along with their SEC West slate + Tennessee from the East.

From the East, they play Tennessee annually and rotate the other 6 teams and should play Georgia once every 6 years, not once every 14 years. The schedules have been changed a few times due to expansion in 2012 and Covid in 2020, causing some schedule flex with Alabama playing Georgia twice since 2015 in the Regular Season (2015 @ Athens and 2020 @ Tuscaloosa).

FWIW, Alabama has not lost to a team from the SEC East since 2010 @ South Carolina. They currently have a 6 game winning streak vs. Georgia with 5 of the 6 wins in the State of Georgia: 2008 @ Athens (Regular Season), 2012 @ Atlanta (SEC Championship), 2015 @ Athens (Regular Season), 2018 @ Atlanta (CFP Championship Game), 2018 @ Atlanta (SEC Championship Game) and 2020 @ Tuscaloosa (Regular Season).

While I do agree that playing 9 Big Xii Games + 1 B1G team OOC is theoretically tougher than playing 8 SEC + 1 P5 OOC team each year, that is not why Alabama is a 6 time National Champion in the Saban Era, and Iowa State nor any other Big Xii program has won a National Championship in the same time-span. Texas and Oklahoma have been to the BCS Championship Game / CFP in the same time span a combined five times with an (0-5) record including losses to Alabama twice (Texas in BCS Championship Game @ Pasadena in the 2009 season and Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl Semi-Final in the 2018 season).

Once again, I agree with the spirit of your post, and I would love for the SEC to go to a 9 game or 10 game SEC schedule. So does Saban. Unfortunately, he is a lone wolf on this matter in the S.E.C.

Let's Go State!

So they are planning nine instead of eight, which is still less than ISU plays on an annual basis, heck WV had 11 scheduled a couple of years ago. Alabama has not played in a true away game outside the conference since 2011, 10 seasons, they are the master of playing games at neutral sites, all in the South. They have the best talent in football year after year, more advisory coaches that any other team, and they refuse to schedule a non conference away game.

The SEC has been gaming the system for years, before under the BCS they all scheduled a non conference cupcake before the last regular season conference game. You are correct Saban has said he would like to increase the number of conference games, but the only way it happens is if the playoff committee makes a rule, forcing it to happen.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Please god no, lets smash the PantherHawks like we are capable of. I agree that you're likely right but if you go up 21-0 you can be vanilla the entire second half playing Dekkars and other backups.
We used a vanilla game plan in the Fiesta Bowl. How’d that work out?

UNI ain’t Oregon.

Reactions: Jerms

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
So they are planning nine instead of eight, which is still less than ISU plays on an annual basis, heck WV had 11 scheduled a couple of years ago. Alabama has not played in a true away game outside the conference since 2011, 10 seasons, they are the master of playing games at neutral sites, all in the South. They have the best talent in football year after year, more advisory coaches that any other team, and they refuse to schedule a non conference away game.

The SEC has been gaming the system for years, before under the BCS they all scheduled a non conference cupcake before the last regular season conference game. You are correct Saban has said he would like to increase the number of conference games, but the only way it happens is if the playoff committee makes a rule, forcing it to happen.
FWIW, this is the last year of the Neutral Site Games for Alabama. They are back in the home and home OOC business starting @ Texas in 2022, @ USF in 2023, @ Wisconsin in 2024, @ Florida State in 2025, @ West Virginia in 2026, @ Ohio State in 2027, @ Notre Dame in 2028, @ Georgia Tech in 2030, @ Oklahoma in 2032, @ Arizona in 2033 and @ Virginia Tech in 2034.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
This is from the Athletic's Stewart Mandel in his mailbag column today:

As some of the preseason rankings trickle out, it seems sportswriters really don’t know what to do with Iowa State. They have been ranked as high as No. 4, as low as No. 15, and everywhere in between. Iowa State is certainly in uncharted territory, so does that make them this year’s team that could shock the world … or fall hard? — Mike

Iowa State finished No. 9 in the country last season and brings back 20 starters. If Iowa State’s jerseys were burnt orange instead of cardinal and gold, that combo would be an automatic recipe for starting in the top four. Even if the Cyclones were, say, Wisconsin, with that same profile, I’m thinking no lower than No. 6 (behind Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Ohio State, in some order). But because Iowa State is Iowa State, and has literally never swum in these circles before, I can understand why there’s hesitation. This is after all still a team that lost 31-14 to Louisiana in last year’s season-opener, and whose big Fiesta Bowl win came against an Oregon team that finished 4-3.

I had the Cyclones No. 7 in my early 2021 Top 25 in January, and I see no reason why they shouldn’t be right around the same place in my spring version, because, unlike some teams, not much has changed in Ames over the past three months. They’ve lost a few backups to the transfer portal, and picked up a couple of possible contributors. Brock Purdy is still the star QB, Breece Hall still the star running back, Big 12 sack leader Will McDonald is still priming to bring down QBs and Big 12 defensive player of the year Mike Rose is ready to rack up another 100 or so tackles.

The one thing that’s impossible to predict is how Matt Campbell’s team will handle unprecedented expectations. While Oklahoma remains the favorite in the Big 12, the Cyclones will start out with the kind of ranking that suggests it’s the type of team that should win at least 10 games. This is wild, considering Iowa State has never in its entire history won 10 games. (It went 9-2 in 2020.) Campbell’s program has thrived as the scrappy underdog for whom it’s still a big deal to beat Texas, as it has the past two seasons.

This year, Texas beating Iowa State would count as a big win for the ‘Horns.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames

As some of the preseason rankings trickle out, it seems sportswriters really don’t know what to do with Iowa State. They have been ranked as high as No. 4, as low as No. 15, and everywhere in between. Iowa State is certainly in uncharted territory, so does that make them this year’s team that could shock the world … or fall hard? — Mike

Iowa State finished No. 9 in the country last season and brings back 20 starters. If Iowa State’s jerseys were burnt orange instead of cardinal and gold, that combo would be an automatic recipe for starting in the top four. Even if the Cyclones were, say, Wisconsin, with that same profile, I’m thinking no lower than No. 6 (behind Alabama, Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Ohio State, in some order). But because Iowa State is Iowa State, and has literally never swum in these circles before, I can understand why there’s hesitation. This is after all still a team that lost 31-14 to Louisiana in last year’s season-opener, and whose big Fiesta Bowl win came against an Oregon team that finished 4-3.

I had the Cyclones No. 7 in my early 2021 Top 25 in January, and I see no reason why they shouldn’t be right around the same place in my spring version, because, unlike some teams, not much has changed in Ames over the past three months. They’ve lost a few backups to the transfer portal, and picked up a couple of possible contributors. Brock Purdy is still the star QB, Breece Hall still the star running back, Big 12 sack leader Will McDonald is still priming to bring down QBs and Big 12 defensive player of the year Mike Rose is ready to rack up another 100 or so tackles.

The one thing that’s impossible to predict is how Matt Campbell’s team will handle unprecedented expectations. While Oklahoma remains the favorite in the Big 12, the Cyclones will start out with the kind of ranking that suggests it’s the type of team that should win at least 10 games. This is wild, considering Iowa State has never in its entire history won 10 games. (It went 9-2 in 2020.) Campbell’s program has thrived as the scrappy underdog for whom it’s still a big deal to beat Texas, as it has the past two seasons.

Pretty fair analysis there.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We also lost to Louisiana 31-14. You are in denial if you think we don't struggle the first couple weeks every season.
My comment had nothing to do with how we had or hadn’t struggled at the start of the past few seasons. It had to do with using a “vanilla” offense, and how we have the personnel now to get away with that. Feel free not to be an ass and tell me I’m in “denial”.

Since you brought it up? For simple facts’ sake, we lost to what proved to be a Top 20 Louisiana team when half our team was just getting back from missing weeks of conditioning due to COVID protocols.

And in 2018, we were in the process of totally trashing SDSU—when the lightning came. A dismantling which would have concluded that “struggle every couple of games” moaning right then and there.

This isn’t going to be the same team of the first few CMC years. Not hardly. Get over it.

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia

Edit: We will see more of this. Actually surprised the #4 talk has been received as supportively, or at least neutrally, to the degree it has to this point, aside from the predictable. I'm not going to die on this hill either way. What does CF think?
I quit watching people talk about Iowa state not as good as advertised. It’s poisoning the koolaid. The theme seems to be that we reached our peak last year and with basically the same team we should be around the same record as last year. Which would still make for a heck of a season but would leave a little sour taste in my mouth. Hard to imagine winning 9 or 10 games could even be looked at as disappointing but is our reality I think for this season. They also don’t take into account that those same players will get better especially with the coaching staff we have

baagoe

Mar 27, 2015

Man that last sentence is weird to read. It’s true, but still surreal.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Not just a “Disagree”, but a strong disagree.

This isn’t your father’s Oldsmobile.
Yep. There are two main reasons in my mind that this game won’t be close…

1. When we last played UNI, we were an overall above average team who hadn’t found a sliver of an identity yet on offense. This year, we will be far more talented, experienced, and know exactly what we want to do.

2. UNI was a far better team in 2019 then they will be in 2021. That year, they went 10-5 with losses to ISU (solid P5 team), Weber State (#3 and went to FCS Final 4), NDSU (#1 and National Champion), SDSU (#7 who UNI beat in the playoffs), and then they lost to #2 James Madison in the Elite 8, who lost in the finals to NDSU.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone