Greg McElroy: 'Ludicrous' to call Iowa State football a top-four team

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
"5 of their 9 wins were decided by a TD or less"

First of all it was 4 of the 9 unless I'm looking at something wrong. And of those four, one was against OU and the other was at Texas. Hell the other two were at TCU and a big come from behind game against Baylor after playing like dog **** the first half.

What a lazy take

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
More bulletin board material. Great.

Next week that idiot will clamor for more parity and a larger playoff and whine about how boring it is always having the same teams in the CFP. Whatever.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Don't disagree with him. It's ludicrous to even have a top 4 before playing any games at all.

I would usually agree, but when a team is in that general neighborhood, and hardly loses any players from the previous team, I think that's legit (see Baylor and Gonzaga in basketball, as they went nearly wire to wire at the top).

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Honestly, in the context of the whole article, I don't think what he said is really all that outrageous or insulting to us. I don't necessarily agree with him, but he didn't go out of his way to mock us or call us a bad program unworthy of being ranked or anything.

I think it's the kind of headline that will induce more rage and fist-shaking then it really deserves, IMO.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Eh, the intent of the pre-pre-pre season Top whatever lists is to generate additional articles like the McElroy one...makes folks go back to the original article. That being said, ISU certainly can claim a spot in the Top 4...the season will prove whether they belong (or not).

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Don't disagree with him. It's ludicrous to even have a top 4 before playing any games at all.
That top 4 wasn’t voted on, it’s FPI based. Also, McElroy didn’t say it’s dumb to have a top 4, it’s just dumb to have Iowa State in it.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Dear Mr. McElroy,

tenor.gif

Sincerely,
Cyclone Nation

bozclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2011
Indiana
If I am honest, I think we are a top 10 team but I would not have us in the preseason top 4. With all the players we have returning, we should be dominate. A dominate blowout victory against Iowa would shut some people up. That being said, I don't really like Greg McElroy.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
I don't know why it is so hard for even their own analysts to understand that no one is calling ISU a top 4 team. It's a predictive rating system. It's not biased. It's based on numbers. You may disagree with the model, but at least base your argument around that fact rather than calling straw men "ludicrous".

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
The target on our backs is large this year. Outside of being the team that other teams look at for a Top 10 upset win, there are going to be a lot of people rooting for us to fail to prove they were right. Most college football fans may have casually rooted for us last year due to our history, but the underdog label was ripped off when we got ranked in front of Ohio State.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Read it a few minutes ago. Honestly it's exactly the type of billboard stuff this team needs to maintain focus.
I've been thinking about expectations and I honestly want them to be motivated during lifting/spring ball....then hyper focused as fall hits.

They are kids, so they'll see Twitter, GameDay, ESPN and all the chatter. I love our staff and their calm/expect to win attitudes and each week we will be favored (maybe not OU)....so blocking other noise (or choosing to use it) will be a unique challenge as the CFB hype train keeps.rolling!

Side note, if we are top 5 going into season...I want to open with a 20 pt win vs UNI. ☺️